What makes a great burrito for you?

ChrisL

For me it’s the rice & beans. Yeah the main ingredient has to be good quality & flavorful but asada, chicken, fish & shrimp are all great fillings. But without great beans & rice it’s just meh.

Im currently enjoying a chili relleno burrito and it’s the freaking bomb. Ozempic belly is settling in and I may not be able to finish it but I may just deal with the discomfort & plow through as it’s so good. 

15 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Good tortilla and beans for sure.  I like a nice lime cilantro rice and some good corn salsa as well.  I think it needs to be a balance of ingredients and I am not a fan of the huge gignatic burritos.  

Unfortunately it wasn’t even that big… I ended up eating it all and am dealing with the discomfort.

23 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Good tortilla and beans for sure.  I like a nice lime cilantro rice and some good corn salsa as well.  I think it needs to be a balance of ingredients and I am not a fan of the huge gignatic burritos.  

I'm pretty happy with a Chipotle burrito bowl (tortilla on the side).  I basically stir it all together and tear up the tortilla to use as a scoop.  The more roasted veggies, the better. But brown rice, black beans, tomato salsa, corn salsa(?), some medium sauce, cheese, sour cream, and guac.  I avoid the lettuce as if I reheat half later for lunch, lettuce doesn't do well.

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm pretty happy with a Chipotle burrito bowl (tortilla on the side).  I basically stir it all together and tear up the tortilla to use as a scoop.  The more roasted veggies, the better. But brown rice, black beans, tomato salsa, corn salsa(?), some medium sauce, cheese, sour cream, and guac.  I avoid the lettuce as if I reheat half later for lunch, lettuce doesn't do well.

See veggies in a burrito don’t work for me. I don’t want tomato nor lettuce.  I’m neither here nor there with sour cream & guac.  Rice, beans & primary filling, maybe some cheese & salsa.

Having said that, my other favorite burrito is a simple egg & cheese bfast burrito with mild salsa.  No rice or beans on that one.

2 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

The perfect burrito is made with love from someone from Taco Bell. It's not authentic if it's not giving you the shits! 

Famous words from a Taco Bell worker in MD: OK hun but they are pronounced tayco not tahco.  Oh right my bad! 😂

• Haha 1

I'm more into  roti.....from Carribbean. Spicier..often with curry base...  I think that has  South Asian influences too. It's getting all muddled in my head and tastebuds with immigrants going from country into another then up to Canada.

The Best Roti in Toronto (blogto.com)

My city has some places, but to  me, Toronto has way more places and better choices.

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I'm more into  roti.....from Carribbean. Spicier..often with curry base...  I think that has  South Asian influences too. It's getting all muddled in my head and tastebuds with immigrants going from country into another then up to Canada.

The Best Roti in Toronto (blogto.com)

My city has some places, but to  me, Toronto has way more places and better choices.

I had to look roti up but sounds good!  Similar concept but different ethnicity.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Because you don’t really like them or just no really good places that serve them?

I like them, just think I have never been to a place that does them really well.

It is kind of like fried chicken.  I had had lots of fried chicken but did not understand people going nuts for fried chicken and the cooking show competition judges ohhing and ahhhing over fried chicken.  Until I had really good fried chicken.  Then I was like... "Now I get it"

I just need to go some place with great burritos to set my standards a little higher

• Heart 3

9 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I like them, just think I have never been to a place that does them really well.

It is kind of like fried chicken.  I had had lots of fried chicken but did not understand people going nuts for fried chicken and the cooking show competition judges ohhing and ahhhing over fried chicken.  Until I had really good fried chicken.  Then I was like... "Now I get it"

I just need to go some place with great burritos to set my standards a little higher

The place I got mine today is a local place and their food is OK but makes great burritos.  Some of the really good places are small mom & pop places in crap neighborhoods.  One place I have to point or use my fingers (burrito #3) as they don’t speak English and my Spanish is poor.   I always look for the places with long lines even if they are in crap hoods.

Speaking of long lines, a taco truck parks near my house every night and that truck is always swarmed with people. I have been meaning to try their food. 

• Heart 2

12 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I like beans but not alot of it  and now, less rice is just better for me. So it would be more the meat inside, etc.

After having roti,  I find burritos not as exciting. However a burrito probably done right amount of ingredients and not too big, etc. can be  healthy.

Yeah that’s the key.  You don’t want a rice & bean burrito with a little meat. Balance is key.  Some people like them without rice & beans, just meat, cheese & salsa and that’s taking the balance too far the other way in my mind.

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have had bfast burritos with hash browns in them.  That’s pretty tasty.  A trend out here is putting French fries in them. 

Are potato burritos a thing down there Chris?  For some reason, the Mex places up here in Bellingham advertise them and I must say -- they are good.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

Are potato burritos a thing down there Chris?  For some reason, the Mex places up here in Bellingham advertise them and I must say -- they are good.

I have seen fried potato and hash browns  in breakfast burritos and French fries but no, I haven’t seen a potato burrito down here.  Sounds good. 

A good tortilla, seasoned chicken, smothered in green chili sauce with melted cheese. It’s a knife and fork meal. Beans, rice, potatoes, or squash…these can also fill a burrito, but I prefer them on the side if at all. Breakfast burritos here usually have hash brown potatoes or home fries, eggs, green chilies, and maybe bacon or sausage. When we get burritos, I eat half and save the rest for later or split with mr.

• Heart 1

I kind of lost the taste for the big burritos when I found good street tacos. Simple, so much flavor and I don’t hate myself after eating 2 or 3. There are a still places to check out in Maricopa, but no “aha” moments yet. The place around the corner has decent beans and rice. Their machaca is pretty good but haven’t tried their burritos. I do like a good green sauce smother with a little sour cream. 
We make our breakfast burritos with eggs, sausage and hash browns. I do a little dab of sour cream with habanero salsa down the center of the burritos then the filling and some cheese on top before rolling it up. Guess what I’m making this weekend? Damn you!

• Heart 3