Vint Hill

Parsnip Totin Jack

In the 18th century, Vint Hill was a 700 acre farm in Virginia’s Piedmont region. The property changed hands over the years and was acquired by the US Army during WWII and was used as a cryptology school and as a listening post as its geographic location was excellent for intercepting global radio messages. An intercepted message from Japan to Nazi Germany helped with the June 6 D-Day invasion. The location was used to great extent during the Cold War. Technological advances rendered the location obsolete and at the end of the 20th century the base was sold to a local economic development. Today it is home to a museum for the site, a brewery (Old Bust Head) a winery (Vint Hill Craft Winery) and several small businesses. 

• Heart 1

Just now, Old No. 7 said:

In the 18th century, Vint Hill was a 700 acre farm in Virginia’s Piedmont region. The property changed hands over the years and was acquired by the US Army during WWII and was used as a cryptology school and as a listening post as its geographic location was excellent for intercepting global radio messages. An intercepted message from Japan to Nazi Germany helped with the June 6 D-Day invasion. The location was used to great extent during the Cold War. Technological advances rendered the location obsolete and at the end of the 20th century the base was sold to a local economic development. Today it is home to a museum for the site, a brewery (Old Bust Head) a winery (Vint Hill Craft Winery) and several small businesses. 

I knew of it but it wasn’t a place I ever needed to go to.  There was a detachment of MP’s there and I went to a leadership school with a couple of them.  They thought they were the shit, little did they know they weren’t the shit, I was! 😂

Do you remember Cameron Station in Alexandria?  It’s homes now but was a warehousing depot back in the day.  We had to support security & LE efforts at that location. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I knew of it but it wasn’t a place I ever needed to go to.  There was a detachment of MP’s there and I went to a leadership school with a couple of them.  They thought they were the shit, little did they know they weren’t the shit, I was! 😂

Do you remember Cameron Station in Alexandria?  It’s homes now but was a warehousing depot back in the day.  We had to support security & LE efforts at that location. 

We used to go near Cameron Station when I was in high school. Some buds lived near there. Now there are two good breweries down there. Port City to the east and Aslin to the west. I thought you’d know of Vint Hill, it’s why I posted it. I once dated a woman who’s dad was a retired Colonel. She wanted to get married, I didn’t. Six months after the break up, she’s engaged. The reception was at Vint Hill. 

3 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

We used to go near Cameron Station when I was in high school. Some buds lived near there. Now there are two good breweries down there. Port City to the east and Aslin to the west. I thought you’d know of Vint Hill, it’s why I posted it. I once dated a woman who’s dad was a retired Colonel. She wanted to get married, I didn’t. Six months after the break up, she’s engaged. The reception was at Vint Hill. 

The only on duty shooting I was a part of was at Cameron Station. My partner fired, not me.  They had a club there and was open to civilians. The arrangement was really odd…

I didn’t know Vint Hill had facilities for receptions.  Years ago my MIL showed me a picture of their wedding and asked if I recognized the chapel.  Yeah that’s the Old Chapel on Ft Myer.   My wife asked how I knew?? I only worked like 100 burials there…