Seafood dinner tonight at the Blue Dolphin in Crofton, MD

MickinMD

We're sending my BiL's son, wife, and child back to Texas tomorrow and are having dinner tonight at the Blue Dolphin seafood restaurant in Crofton, MD, close to where my nephew Adam has soccer practice today.

This restaurant, which I've never been in, has a good reputation.  Maryland seafood restaurants' reputations are often made or lost on the quality of their Crab Imperial, usually served on the half-shell.  If it's a decent size - at some restaurants they're bigger than a baseball - I may get that platter with french fries and cole slaw.

image.png.15f53fe4f7983ec35119cd3bc80cf5a7.png

Depending on how big the Imperial is, I may get crab cakes instead.

If the crab cakes are big, I'll get the double platter and take one home in a doggie bag.

If the crab cakes are not so big, I'll get the stuffed shrimp, since there's a lot of crab with it.

image.png.599fe6c93ce92c9ebc3e14def90bb6f5.png

image.png.c2de1ecb1bb0fe8c24d84fbacf45e39e.png

• Heart 4

46 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I miss the seafood of that region.  Although your blue crabs are delicious I prefer dungenese crabs if the PNW.

Ain’t that right @Dottles!?!?

Chris, I don't like to sound a homer.  But I agree 100%.  I've had both and I think you'd be hard press to find a better tasting crab than Dungeness.  I like all crab and have had crab in Maryland.  Tasty.  But it doesn't have anything on Dungeness.  Having said that, Atlantic Salmon is some of my favorite.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I'm back home and stuffed.  They give you so much stuff at restaurants these days - and charge for it - that a doggie bag is typical anymore.  I have an 8 oz. shrimp-stuff crab cake and a lot of fries for tomorrow's supper.

We almost didn't get into the Blue Dolphin.  They don't do same-day reservations.  I got to the restaurant first and gave the manager a sob story about my BiL recovering from miraculous cancer treatment and lung-lobe removal surgery at Johns Hopkins and his son and family came to see him from Texas and we were hoping to take them to a good Maryland seafood restaurant before they flew back tomorrow.

"How many?" he asked and when I said 8 plus a chair for an 11 month old baby, he said, "We'll take care of you!"

Here's a restaurant trick in Maryland.  Instead of ordering a crab cake, order the stuffed shrimp for about the same price: you get three crab cakes almost as big as the one on the crab cake platter - my three below on the first picture on an 11" plate are bigger than baseballs, not quite as big as softballs - with shrimp stuffed inside.

Everyone loved the food!

20220408_190619_900p.jpg.72fe7711d9251bd69b80eff9135a016d.jpg 20220408_190937_900p.jpg.3a0019813f06344b105d29b95c6f17da.jpg

Nephew Ryan, the flight attendant, with his Corpus Christi SiL Nellie and her daughter.

20220408_190645_900p.jpg.bc4b0339c97d688395f110d1ea1ea973.jpg

BiL Brian's surf and turf: steak and a crab cake:

20220408_190655_900p.jpg.4303bbb6580c93b5badd1ed34659012a.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

...it's probably farther away from you where you live, but from SE D.C., we used to drive down to Chesapeake Beach on the near shore of the Bay and go to the Rod and Reel. I see it's still there. 

One of the Assistant Scoutmasters for my Scout troop had a house in Chesapeake Beach, where he had enough space for us to camp.  I spent a lot of hours down there waking around in the shallows and the weeds, stalking blue crabs with a dip net.  I can remember buying bushels and half bushels down at the waterfront in Southwest, when I got older.

The Dungeness crab season here in San Francisco bay has been pretty variable, and there were a couple of years where they shut down the fishery completely.

Not sure why, but the Dungeness season is limited to later on in the Fall here.  So people traditionally eat them as a Christmas season treat. We used to take blue crabs in the Chesapeake pretty much year 'round, and the all you can eat crab restaurants were open year around as well..

• Heart 2

12 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...it's probably farther away from you where you live, but from SE D.C., we used to drive down to Chesapeake Beach on the near shore of the Bay and go to the Rod and Reel. I see it's still there. 

One of the Assistant Scoutmasters for my Scout troop had a house in Chesapeake Beach, where he had enough space for us to camp.  I spent a lot of hours down there waking around in the shallows and the weeds, stalking blue crabs with a dip net.  I can remember buying bushels and half bushels down at the waterfront in Southwest, when I got older.

The Dungeness crab season here in San Francisco bay has been pretty variable, and there were a couple of years where they shut down the fishery completely.

Not sure why, but the Dungeness season is limited to later on in the Fall here.  So people traditionally eat them as a Christmas season treat. We used to take blue crabs in the Chesapeake pretty much year 'round, and the all you can eat crab restaurants were open year around as well..

I just saw a news report that the Dungeness crab season was just closed to protect migrating whales. They get caught in the trap lines.

As there is a spring & fall migration this might have something to do with the later season. 

• Thank You 1