So, what's your excuse?

Rattlecan

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Why did they even choose her, Rattlecan?  Maybe they wanted her to be a  "yes" man on the board. Board is lacking vision.  She was mayor forever.. 

She was instrumental in the forming of the current GTAA and making it a success.  I have a lot of time for Hazel.  A really bright hard working, hard hitting woman. 

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

She was instrumental in the forming of the current GTAA and making it a success.  I have a lot of time for Hazel.  A really bright hard working, hard hitting woman. 

I agree she is  tough, etc.  Hazel McCallion's city building trajectory leaves problems to successors (thestar.com)  Yea, sure "error of judgement".  Anyway,.. no one from my extended family is living out in the 'burbs, by coincidence. I'm sure as a person she  has some great skills.

Developers are very powerful...and I currently live in a city where we are growing like an inflated ameoba.....14 new suburban communities..it's kind of sick actually. It even horrified some of the engineers on staff.  We lack money to build and maintain public infrastructure for all this.

On two occasions, separated by almost 30 years, McCallion was accused of overstepping the bounds of her authority.

In 1982, she was found guilty of conflict of interest in connection with some land deals involving the city. She lobbied the city to buy some land, some of which she owned, and also voted on a motion that authorized the city to purchase the land.

While the maximum penalty for conflict of interest is removal from office, she was spared that fate when the judge ruled her actions were a simple error in judgment.

In 2011, she again escaped sanction over conflict of interest allegations involving the promotion of her son’s development project. The inquiry that looked into the case cleared her of conflict of interest, but did find she had broken common-law principles by exerting her influence. She was awarded $170,000 to cover her court costs in the case.

Throughout it all, McCallion’s popularity remained sky-high, baffling her critics and opponents.

“A lot of people didn’t agree with what she did — supporting her son — but they said they understood what she did,” said Councillor Saito. “There was that understanding by the people that she had done so much for the city that they could forgive her.”