Burning down the house next door

team scooter

The county bought this house several years ago since its in a flood plain. Its been empty since. The fire department has been out for weeks prepping, taking out windows, etc. Looks like today is the day. People are even putting lawn chairs out to watch. <_<

Its the little blue house left side of the pic

fd.jpg

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

After Hurricane Agnes in 1972 caused the Susquehanna River in Eastern PA to flood to record levels, my cousin's house outside of Wilkes-Barre and the three other houses next to the flood dykes were bought by the government because it was on ground too low.  My cousin rebuilt on land high above the river on the opposite side.

I often visited and you could look down at the site of their old house: the area now has about 20 houses!  Someone paid off enough officials to get the area rezoned.  The dykes have been raised but there have been several times they've had a little flooding!

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, team scooter said:

Seems when the fire goes out, they cut a few more holes in the roof. 

The exercises I witnessed were controlled burns maximizing learning experience for all hands. For example, they would start a burn inside the wall on a lower level and would open up a hole in the upper level. See what happens and put that fire out. Then go on to the next bit. The would literally burn the house to the ground before the day was over. And it took all day to get there.

• Heart 1