Oracle 200K Brevet

az_cyclist

This was the first time I had ridden the Oracle 200K brevet.  Originally the schedule for April 9 had 4 routes, the Kitt Peak 200K, 300K, 400K, and 600K brevets.  But the observatory at Kitt Peak was still closed (COVID), so the organizer had to change things.  He originally cancelled the 200K and 300K rides, and extended the 400K and 600K routes to get the mileage he needed. He didn’t have time to get new routes approved for the 200 and 300K rides.  For the 600K, you ride the 400K route on day 1, then after a (short) rest ride a 200K route the next day.  Since there was still interest and that 200K route was approved, he decided to run that.  There were 4 of us who rode the 200K

Four of us left the hotel in Marana AZ at 6:00 am Saturday morning.  The temp was nice at about 62.  It did drop down to 58 in a few low spots.  The route ran generally NE from Marana to Oracle, then E to San Manuel, then back to Oracle. One rider fell back, then went by us when we pulled over to a Circle K. We caught up with him at San Manuel, 48 miles in. Most of the elevation gain was in the first 57 miles. It was nice to get that done before it got warmer (high in the low 90s expected).  In San Manuel the strongest rider had tire problems, the bead on the rear tire separated from the sidewall.  He thought he would have to abandon the ride and call his wife.  The woman and I left for Oracle.  There were nice views of the mountains, and we did make it back to Oracle by 1130 or so.  After a brief stop there for food, we headed back to AZ 79, then turned NW, with some gentle climbing for 10 miles. 

At mile 80 we turned west, into a 20 MPH headwind. We had a 1-2% downhill grade for 18 miles, but the headwind made us work.  Combined with the 93 F temp, it was draining me.  We turned SE at mile 98 for 11 miles.  We were almost out of water (this route was very remote). Fortunately there was a guy waiting to meet someone who had plenty of water, and he gave us 2 bottles each (and offered more).  That got us to the Chevron at mile 110. I needed to sit down, drink a cold coke, and get ice and water. 

After a break we rode the last 17 miles.  I felt like a boat anchor but the woman was doing fine.  At least there was no longer a headwind, and the temperature was coming down a bit.

We finished in about 11 hours 35 minutes.  I found out a bit later that Chris, the strong rider with the tire problem, did finish, going thru 4 tubes and running on low pressure.  He didn’t care for the 18 mile stretch with the headwind either!  I got a burger, fries, Coke, and shake from In-n-Out, and headed back to Phoenix in I-10.  Made it home between 8:30 and 9:00PM.

Great route, but pretty remote. 

• Awesome 2