Broken tool, and wrecked threads!

KrAzY

Question

I just got off the phone with park tools... I was removing my crank arm when the damn puller busted. Not only did I shear off the nut, but it also stripped off the threads on the inside of the crank. Here is my dilemma... how do you get the f'ing crank arm off without being able to grab onto the SOB with the wrench and threads? I'm about to call it done and use a reciprocating saw on the bastard and just replace the full bottom bracket, along with the crank arms. 

11 answers to this question

I just got off the phone with park tools... I was removing my crank arm when the damn puller busted. Not only did I shear off the nut, but it also stripped off the threads on the inside of the crank. Here is my dilemma... how do you get the f'ing crank arm off without being able to grab onto the SOB with the wrench and threads? I'm about to call it done and use a reciprocating saw on the bastard and just replace the full bottom bracket, along with the crank arms. 

Ball Joint Separator Pickle Fork

Northern Industrial 3 Jaw Gear Pullers

​There are a few methods of dealing with this. I have used the pickle fork, but some cranksets don't give you enough room on the drive side. 

I have a Stein crank extractor system which I've used successfully a few times. It taps stripped threads oversize (24x1.5) You can get self extracting type dust caps to fit from Stein or Var, I happen to have a puller in this size.

It's hardly worth buying the system to save one crankset, but if you call around to the local shops, you might find one that has one.

Another method I have heard about but never tried is Jacobs chuck removal wedges.

http://www.jacobschuck.com/accessories/wedge-set

​I hesitate to ask, but did you perhaps leave a washer hiding in the bottom of the hole before inserting the puller?  I learned about this the hard way. 

​I hesitate to ask, but did you perhaps leave a washer hiding in the bottom of the hole before inserting the puller?  I learned about this the hard way. 

Nothing was left behind.. The tool just snapped off the nipple into the openspace... once I got the new one in the mail a few days later, it came out like a champ and worked perfectly.