Street harassment in NYC

Road Runner

I find myself wondering how all those men just sitting on the sidewalks during the day, seemingly doing nothing, couldn't find something more productive to do on their vacation day off.  For surely they all must have had jobs to support themselves, and wouldn't have been away from those jobs unless they were taking a vacation day.  The only other reason they would have not been at work would have been for illness.  But none of them looked ill, and it would be wrong to assume that they would lie to their bosses and call in sick when they weren't.

Hanging out on the street seems to me a poor way to spend a vacation day, but I guess if some people think that's fun then I'll not judge how people spend their time off from work.

Ok, you are young and ethnic-looking with a big ass and tits and dress all form-fitting and low rent in a way that emphasizes the big ass and big tits and then walk around where there are lots of uneducated layabouts who are used to chicks that dress just like you, and you are surprised that the layabouts say something to you when you look like what they grew up with.  Geez.

The book cover analogy doesn't exactly fit right, but it conveys a certain meaning that could kind of work here.  Go looking to prove something you want to prove, and you "prove" it by provoking it.

Ok, you are young and ethnic-looking with a big ass and tits and dress all form-fitting and low rent in a way that emphasizes the big ass and big tits and then walk around where there are lots of uneducated layabouts who are used to chicks that dress just like you, and you are surprised that the layabouts say something to you when you look like what they grew up with.  Geez.

The book cover analogy doesn't exactly fit right, but it conveys a certain meaning that could kind of work here.  Go looking to prove something you want to prove, and you "prove" it by provoking it.

You sound like an old school judge blaming the girl that got raped....like she was asking for it.

That mentality sucks.

• Heart 1

You sound like an old school judge blaming the girl that got raped....like she was asking for it.

That mentality sucks.

The mentality is accurate, it doesn't matter if you don't like it.  Don't dress in tight-fitting Wal-Mart ghetto attire and be surprised that Wal-Mart people try to talk to you.

Did you see anyone educated say anything to her?  Anyone with any dignity?  Anyone smart?  No?  Then don't apply your sexist thinking to all men.

DH has a point, but I don't think it applies here.

I was thinking more along the lines of RG's initial post here..

If you look at the people commenting/talking to her, they are all engaging in ways consistent with established cultural norms for poor ethnic communities.  

It is fun to provoke DH.

Her jeans are tight. The shirt fits,but it isn't too tight.  She has the kind of figure that would be hard to hide. 

I have never been in these kind of areas, so my thoughts are coming from what I am used to.  I lived very near to SF when I was a teen, but it was so long ago.  I've been living in rural America for almost 20 years.  People do not act like that here.  If a cowboy heard men speaking to a woman like that...they would get thumped.  

I can walk through the worst area of my town and not be harassed like that.  My area is quite safe and very polite.

• Heart 1

She was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, not yoga pants and a low-cut top. I see a lot of women dressed the same way everyday and while we have some pretty crude people around here, I've never seen or heard anything like what is shown in that video. I don't think there is any excuse for the behavior shown by these "men".  

The one guy that walked beside her for five minutes without saying anything really creeped me out.  I had to remind myself that she would be okay since people were right there doing the filming.  

She was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, not yoga pants and a low-cut top. I see a lot of women dressed the same way everyday and while we have some pretty crude people around here, I've never seen or heard anything like what is shown in that video. I don't think there is any excuse for the behavior shown by these "men".  

The one guy that walked beside her for five minutes without saying anything really creeped me out.  I had to remind myself that she would be okay since people were right there doing the filming.  

^^^^ This!

Sounds like RG thinks women should wear burquas to avoid unwanted harassment.  I disagree.  The unwashed urban porch monkeys ought to respect women as humans not as a sex toy.  That is the goal of the video.

The "goal" of the video is to call attention to the attention whore in the perfect "ghetto-bait" outfit. Stopping uneducated people from acting out in a boorish manner? Ha! Can you say "disingenuous"?

Anyway, she would have been hassled far less if she was wearing yoga pants and was carrying a yoga mat, suddenly completely changing context for the black dudes. "Bitch not trolling, just going to get her downward dog on" would probably be the inner dialogue instead of "ghetto rat wants me, just doesn't know it yet".

Rewatch the video and the group of young chicks wearing miniskirts and being completely ignored for the attention whore. She is wearing an exact cultural uniform here, no question at all.

They are probably harassing the woman in the video because she is alone and the girls in the miniskirts are in a group.

• Heart 1

Many thoughts here.  Harassment is wrong, no matter what.  

Maybe she put on weght and cannot afford a new pair of jeans.  I have been there.  No one whistled at me.

The dour expression and silence is almost a challenge to these men it appears.  A simple smile or acknowledgement could help defuse the situation.

But I will also agree with some of the views that RG stated.  If you go out looking to be oppressed, create a situation with your attire and demeanor and then spend hours trying to get responses, then you will get them.

The video said 100s of responses of harrassment,  How many DID NOT harrass?  Thoussands?  Tens of thousands?  How many defended?  Not known, as they did not choose to include any of that data.

To me, this video is somewhat like when you take a video and add strategic "bleeps" over normal words to make the video appear to be something it may not be.  They cherry picked the blatant examples and excluded anything that did not match the data they were trying detect and record.

But I will also agree with some of the views that RG stated.  If you go out looking to be oppressed, create a situation with your attire and demeanor and then spend hours trying to get responses, then you will get them.

The video said 100s of responses of harrassment,  How many DID NOT harrass?  Thoussands?  Tens of thousands?  How many defended?  Not known, as they did not choose to include any of that data.

To me, this video is somewhat like when you take a video and add strategic "bleeps" over normal words to make the video appear to be something it may not be.  They cheer picked the blatant examples and excluded anything that did not match the data they were trying detect and record.

Yup. This video is 2 minutes long. Didn't she actually spend 10 hours out there digging up comments?? 

Maybe she put on weght and cannot afford a new pair of jeans.  I have been there.  No one whistled at me.

The dour expression and silence is almost a challenge to these men it appears.  A simple smile or acknowledgement could help defuse the situation.

To me, this video is somewhat like when you take a video and add strategic "bleeps" over normal words to make the video appear to be something it may not be.  They cherry picked the blatant examples and excluded anything that did not match the data they were trying detect and record.

"Dour" is just a nice way of saying she has a bitchy expression.  That certainly doesn't help.

Anyway, lots of those comments were ridiculous things like "God bless" or "hello, miss" or somesuch, only a few really creepy things that jshart rightly says could have probably been defused if she said any damn thing at all, in other words, not acting bitchy on top of a bitchy look.

And to those that think I am blaming her, well, I am.  A little, anyway.  Nowhere did I say she deserves harassment, I was stating the obvious for NYC.   She dressed in low-rent uniform in EVERY way.  She is young and probably single, probably a student (backpack).  If that is what she wears normally and is surprised by comments, then she is pretty dim because that is just a cultural norm for the hood.  If she can't figure that out, she is really stupid.  If she doesn't normally dress all low-class, then dressed this way on purpose, it just goes to the attention whore comment I made earlier.  The video doesn't show sexism at all, other than culturally sexism from those that grew up in a certain culture.

When I was really young and single and went out with friends wearing a t-shirt and jeans and tennis shoes and wanted to meet women, I looked around and realized that I better adjust my outfit to my intended targets perception of what looks appropriate, as the low-rent stuff didn't work.  What worked better was buttons on a shirt and non-running shoes.  What worked even better was a sweater.

Making excuses for rude jerks just gives them more power to say and do whatever the hell they want to.  

I wear clothes that make me feel sexy.  I wear these things because I love my body.  To be encouraged to not do so is another form of body shaming for women.  Us women should not allow ourselves to be bullied into hiding.

Such a double standard.  Men are allowed to do and say whatever they want and the blame is placed on the victim they are harassing?

Wow, I find myself agreeing with RG. So, some men made comments on her outfit!? Most of the behavior was certainly not out of line with any culture I've experienced. On the flip side, I've walked down the street in DC (was much younger) wearing tight fitting jeans and had numerous women make very similar comments. "We love it, baby!" and "got something for me?" and "think you could handle me?" type stuff that had far more suggestion/innuendo than anything I just saw in that video.

I think the video set out to be a self fulfilling prophecy.

That said, no I don't like it that guys feel they can say whatever they want with impunity. But men deal with it too from the same types of guys. It's usually in the form of threats and challenges. But most men just deal with it.

It's a messed up world.

Making excuses for rude jerks just gives them more power to say and do whatever the hell they want to.  

I wear clothes that make me feel sexy.  I wear these things because I love my body.  To be encouraged to not do so is another form of body shaming for women.  Us women should not allow ourselves to be bullied into hiding.

Such a double standard.  Men are allowed to do and say whatever they want and the blame is placed on the victim they are harassing?

If one is deer hunting one tries to camoflage oneself so as not to be seen and animals often behave in ways that helps them blend in to their environment either through natural coloration or physical behaviours..  Converselty In nature, when animals mate, they often court with showy impressive displays.

I think the same holds true here.  Not saying that it is right to harrass someone, or that the person in this video was dressed provactivley, but when people chose to wear things that draw attention to them, they should not be surprised about that attention.  If I chose to wear a very tight shirt, unbottoned to expose my chest and with the sleeves rolled up to show off my arms, and a tight pair of jeans that clearly outlined my genitalia, I should not be surprised if people looked at me, or even in some cases made comments, based upon their culutural upbringing.

Just a thought.  

• Heart 1

The "goal" of the video is to call attention to the attention whore in the perfect "ghetto-bait" outfit. Stopping uneducated people from acting out in a boorish manner? Ha! Can you say "disingenuous"?

I would suggest the 'goal' of the video was to incite the viewers' sympathies and indignation so they would send money into a dubious 'charitable' organization that has no hope of succeeding in its mission to stop 'street harrassment'.  In the meantime donations pour in as the video skitters across the interwebz, and the people who made the video and set up the organization snicker all the way to the bank.

• Heart 2

I would suggest the 'goal' of the video was to incite the viewers' sympathies and indignation so they would send money into a dubious 'charitable' organization that has no hope of succeeding in its mission to stop 'street harrassment'.  In the meantime donations pour in as the video skitters across the interwebz, and the people who made the video and set up the organization snicker all the way to the bank.

Snickers?  Those things are rumored to be packed with peanuts and very satisfying.

And you would be wrong.  Here is some backstory to the video.  Rob Bliss is a local 'creative organizer.'  He has given a lot the the local Grand Rapids community in many different forms.  As you can see, this is a response to the way has girlfriend is treated on a regular basis in Chicago.

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/10/rob_bliss_interview_5_million_views_and_counting_for_new_viral_video_about_street_harassment.html#incart_river

GRAND RAPIDS, MI – Last summer, Rob Bliss decided to shoot a video that would “truly capture what street harassment looks like.”

Bliss says his girlfriend often is catcalled on her way to school in Chicago, where Bliss' company, Rob Bliss Creative, is based.

RELATED: Woman catcalled, harassed at least 100 times in Michigan native Rob Bliss' latest viral video

“I felt that no one had truly captured what street harassment looked like without bias, judgment or messaging,” Bliss said in a phone interview. “I wanted it to be seen for what it is and I felt like no one had done that yet.”

I don't think anyone is making excuses for rude jerks at all, just telling it like it is.  

A few years back, Ron (Backdoor Ron, Big Boob Ron, from Dallas) came out to visit.  We scheduled to meet some friends at a BBQ place in Harlem, and there was a problem on the train route.  We had to take a different train that put us a half-mile away from from the restaurant, and left us in the worst part of Harlem to walk through.  Ron, in his wisdom, was dressed in a backwards-facing baseball hat, white polo shirt, cargo shorts, and all-white basketball shoes, and we got some anti-whitey comments because of it.  He laughed and said "Do I look like the whitest guy in the universe?"  "Yeah, Howdy-Doody, you do."  Ron correctly saw his "look" as the part of the problem, nobody said anything to me at all, as I was dressed like a normal New Yorker, not entirely out of my element.

And you would be wrong.  Here is some backstory to the video.  Rob Bliss is a local 'creative organizer.'  He has given a lot the the local Grand Rapids community in many different forms.  As you can see, this is a response to the way has girlfriend is treated on a regular basis in Chicago.

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/10/rob_bliss_interview_5_million_views_and_counting_for_new_viral_video_about_street_harassment.html#incart_river

GRAND RAPIDS, MI – Last summer, Rob Bliss decided to shoot a video that would “truly capture what street harassment looks like.”

Bliss says his girlfriend often is catcalled on her way to school in Chicago, where Bliss' company, Rob Bliss Creative, is based.

RELATED: Woman catcalled, harassed at least 100 times in Michigan native Rob Bliss' latest viral video

“I felt that no one had truly captured what street harassment looked like without bias, judgment or messaging,” Bliss said in a phone interview. “I wanted it to be seen for what it is and I felt like no one had done that yet.”

Well, goody for Ron Bliss the local 'creative organizer' then.

Well, my last comment on this is that I find it discouraging and even upsetting that so many of you do not seem to find the behavior of the men seen in this video to be despicable and abhorrent.  Some of you have even made jokes about it.  I know that reasonable people disagree at times, but defending the actions of these creeps because of the way they might "feel" about her because of some distorted perception they have of women is just baffling to me.

I don't really care about the motives of the people who produced the video.  If this happens to women in America when they are minding their own business walking down a public street, it is wrong.  Period.

• Heart 3

Well, my last comment on this is that I find it discouraging and even upsetting that so many of you do not seem to find the behavior of the men seen in this video to be despicable and abhorrent.  Some of you have even made jokes about it.  I know that reasonable people disagree at times, but defending the actions of these creeps because of the way they might "feel" about her because of some distorted perception they have of women is just baffling to me.

I don't really care about the motives of the people who produced the video.  If this happens to women in America when they are minding their own business walking down a public street, it is wrong.  Period.

Nobody was defending the dudes in the video and we will make jokes about anything, anytime.  However, I do take offense at a spurious "charity" attention-whoring it in a contrived way and expecting others to clap their appendages and fall over themselves kissing their asses for exposing guy's behaviors.     Sorry, Rob Bliss is an asshole and is intent on promoting himself, pretty obviously.  Did he "truly capture what street harassment really looks like"?  No, he didn't, he set out a caricature of what poor black guys are after, wearing the exact, by the book, uniform of a light-skinned ethnic-looking chick  from their culture that is highlighting exactly those attributes that they black dudes want in obvious ways.  Completely artificial, kinda racist, and obvious to New Yorkers.

Furthermore, I go outside my door, I am confronted by 20 different kinds of assholery immediately, and 20 more will surface while I am out.  Every single person that lives here deals with it.  You don't have this kind of stuff in your town because your town isn't NYC, you have different problems and different benefits to living where you live.

RR, I wasn't (nor do I think anyone else was) defending those guys' behavior. Some of it was rude, but some if it is simply cultural to the locale and I'd even bet that to some of those guys they believed they were being complimentary to the woman. It's often perception. Not every guy who makes a comment to a woman he finds attractive is intending to be 'harassing'.

RR, I wasn't (nor do I think anyone else was) defending those guys' behavior. Some of it was rude, but some if it is simply cultural to the locale and I'd even bet that to some of those guys they believed they were being complimentary to the woman. It's often perception. Not every guy who makes a comment to a woman he finds attractive is intending to be 'harassing'.

Yeah, a few of you guys are weird as shit.

Agreed.

She was dressed much like any college aged girl would dress today. The University of Chicago is bordered by....... a not so nice neighborhood to it's south. :rolleyes: While working there we see this stuff all the time. These girls are someone's daughters, etc just walking from the train station. They should be allowed to walk down the street without being hassled. Especially on the way to school.