Someone failed their nursing exams

Dirtyhip

Twice.  :(

I feel so badly for this person.  They owe over 100 grand in student loans and each time you take the test, your chances of passing decrease. 

My man really had an advantage.  I picked up a ton of slack on the home front.  I made sure he was fed well and had all his school bills paid.  It must have been much harder for those that had no support system to help them with home and finances.

If they fail a third time, they have to go back and take remedial nursing classes.  The nursing exam goes on a rotating schedule.  All the test prep materials use the previous tests, except when they create a new test.  This year is the first year of the new test.  All the test prep stuff was for previous years.  I think they recreate the test every 6 years.  Not sure.  I just remember my Man saying that this year's test was harder, because it was all new.

While someone may desire to be in a certain profession, sometimes they just don't have the aptitude.  Is this an RN, LPN?  Are there different courses for different type nursing?

Can you pick up the slack on this person's home front?  :dontknow:

Twice.  :(

If they fail a third time, they have to go back and take remedial nursing classes.  The nursing exam goes on a rotating schedule.  All the test prep materials use the previous tests, except when they create a new test.  This year is the first year of the new test.  All the test prep stuff was for previous years.  I think they recreate the test every 6 years.  Not sure.  I just remember my Man saying that this year's test was harder, because it was all new.

So when you have to go to the hospital, how do you avoid getting the nurse who repeatedly fails the exam?

$100K? That is sad. Hopefully they will get past the test. WoJSTL gets test anxiety really, really bad. Fortunately she passed the nursing test the first time or she would have been devastated.

I think it was more like 150K.  They had another BA, but it wasn't marketable.  They went back for something else. 

OHSU suggests to students that they can't expect to work and get through that school.  I don't know how my husband was able to run the Outdoor Program, work at the LBS, exercise, be a husband and get through that school.  He never failed a class or withdrew from a class.  His worst thing was getting a C in pathophysiology.  He was mostly an A and B student.  I guess K was very task oriented and driven.

While someone may desire to be in a certain profession, sometimes they just don't have the aptitude.  Is this an RN, LPN?  Are there different courses for different type nursing?

Can you pick up the slack on this person's home front?  :dontknow:

BSRN

He has turned off his phone and quit Facebook.  He fell off the map.  I don't even know how to contact him. 

100k for a nursing degree? 

The degree alone was about $50,000 for my husband.  If I was to add room and board for 4 years and a second BA degree.  Easily over 100K.

College is expensive, if you don't have anyone to help you through.  Unless, you are strong enough to get a scholarship.  Those are rare.

The degree alone was about $50,000 for my husband.  If I was to add room and board for 4 years and a second BA degree.  Easily over 100K.

College is expensive, if you don't have anyone to help you through.  Unless, you are strong enough to get a scholarship.  Those are rare.

Right back to the Nate's football post.  If you're man had been a real man and excelled in a real sport, he could have gotten his mursing degree covered. 

Right back to the Nate's football post.  If you're man had been a real man and excelled in a real sport, he could have gotten his mursing degree covered. 

You couldn't be more wrong.  The OHSU campus here has no sports teams.  There are only 24 students in that program here.  It was super hard to even get into the program.  It is one of the hardest programs on this campus to get into.   There were hundreds of applicants that my man beat out.

He is a badass!

While someone may desire to be in a certain profession, sometimes they just don't have the aptitude

yep! People think they are entitled to work in whatever field they want. Never has been that way

and seriously, if need $100,000 of schooling up, you must be one stupid mother ****** to start with

So when you have to go to the hospital, how do you avoid getting the nurse who repeatedly fails the exam?

Your doctor may have been last in their class.  :o

Also written tests don't do a good job of measuring physical activities and other aptitudes.  Knowing the theory of giving IVs is one thing. Knowing how to stick in the needle is another. 

yep! People think they are entitled to work in whatever field they want. Never has been that way

and seriously, if need $100,000 of schooling up, you must be one stupid mother ****** to start with

Seriously, do the Math:

50,000 tuition and books + Room and Board for 4 years. 

How much do you think that would cost when you are done?

what the hell are they, a barber college?

Their main campus is up in Corvallis.  It is a medical school.  They have a small program here in Clammy. 

We were lucky to have him get in at this campus.  We would have been financially screwed if he got accepted to Portland or somewhere else.  I can't imagine paying for secondary housing on top of everything else.

Seriously, do the Math:

50,000 tuition and books + Room and Board for 4 years. 

How much do you think that would cost when you are done?

I'm not disagreeing with the arithmetic

I'm saying 100k is a lot of churching up in the old brain department. What are we talking about here, the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz?

Their main campus is up in Corvallis.  It is a medical school.  They have a small program here in Clammy. 

We were lucky to have him get in at this campus.  We would have been financially screwed if he got accepted to Portland or somewhere else.  I can't imagine paying for secondary housing on top of everything else.

There's your problem right there. Your own Oregon Ducks go to  BCS bowls every year. The money from sports offsets the student tuition costs. That's why you get the best education for your dollar from Division I NCAA football powerhouses like Ohio State, University of Texas, Penn State, Purdue...the list goes on and on.

I'm not disagreeing with the arithmetic

I'm saying 100k is a lot of churching up in the old brain department. What are we talking about here, the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz?

They actually graduated with better grades than my man did.  This person was also a speaker at their commencement.  Not a dummy.  The only thing I would fault him with is getting a first degree that proved useless to him.

My husband won no awards at graduation, he graduated on time and kept a well rounded life.  Not a straight A student. 

My husband won no awards at graduation, he graduated on time and kept a well rounded life. Not a straight A student.

there's nothing wrong with that

alot of people are good at school and terrible at real life

look at me, I learned all I know by the age of 9 and you don't hear me complaining

There's your problem right there. Your own Oregon Ducks go to  BCS bowls every year. The money from sports offsets the student tuition costs. That's why you get the best education for your dollar from Division I NCAA football powerhouses like Ohio State, University of Texas, Penn State, Purdue...the list goes on and on.

OSU isn't a med school.  OSU has majors like:  romance languages, Medieval Studies, Humanities. 

How hard is it to shove a thermometer up someone's butt and say "The Doctor will be with you shortly."?

It is a shame that you think that is all they do.

Ohio State definitely has a medical school, one of the best in the Big 10, ...as hard as that is for me to admit

We live here.  It would have financially ruined us to pick up and move.  Or, would you have suggested he leave for 4 years and live in OH without me? 

You are being irrational.  Your argument makes no financial sense. 

We did awesome.  4 years, no debt, test passed and he is working.

Ok, OSU is the Ohio State University.  While other organizations may use that abbreviation, they are not the real OSU, and they should feel compelled to clarify their name or be posers.

Congrats on the no-debt thing, that is really, really hard to accomplish these days when college is involved.