Apparently, Carrying A Cell Phone Is A Good Idea. A LIFE Saver In Many Cases

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by dinneR,

...and this new approach is adding to the list.

If your phone is on - not even connected to a network so just "on" - this tech will help find you when lost in the wild.  So, cell + drone = YAY!!! :cheerleader:

Neat to see it progress from trial & practice to real world.

• Heart 2

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If your phone is on - not even connected to a network so just "on" - this tech will help find you when lost in the wild.  So, cell + drone = YAY!!! :cheerleader:

I don't know what to say...dearie turned off his cell phone before he went to bed. Then few hrs. later he died.

I had to get the police via 911 from another city transfer to Vancouver, so they could enter with coroner, to check...  The door had to be broken down by police.  

His land line was still functioning..but my desperate  phone calls, emails were unanswered.  We were very reliable to one another in responding to messages, etc. My advice:  become this if you are not to your love partner. Always establish a pattern of reliability with one another, so when something abnormal happens, you can do your utmost to alert authorities. Every course of action must be tried/executed in an emergency situation. 

It is nightmare you can't imagine.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 2

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

His land line was still functioning..but my desperate  phone calls, emails were unanswered.  We were very reliable to one another in responding to messages, etc. My advice:  become this if you are not to your love partner. Always establish a pattern of reliability, so when something abnormal happens, you can do your best to alert authorities.

Good advice for sure - with family - parents, kids, spouse/partner, etc.  I do like that my Garmin sends an e-mail to my wife for each ride and allows her to follow along. Add in "fall" notices, and other tools, and she's pretty aware of my rides now.  

Regarding the "new" tech, it is for finding lost hikers, skiers, mountain climbers, etc..  Ie, if you don't have a SPOT or similar (like @dinneR), it's a poor man's substitute.

• Heart 1

I still go out without the aid of electronics. When Mrs Z and I ‘disappear’ on vacation, we go where there is no cell or any other type of access.  And we enjoy it. 

We do let each other know what our agenda is. And if we’re together, we let one of our children know.  And we let them know when we get back. 

But, we don’t like being tethered at those times. 

• Heart 1

I don't yet have a cell phone. Somehow the thought of yet another thing, I have remember to bring along when cycling...seems yet another thing to remember/look after.  Along with raingear in case it  rains on certain days.

It seems to make most sense to  be riding in rural, isolated wilderness areas vs. city.  Unless one is in a strange city as a tourist.

3 minutes ago, Zealot said:

I still go out without the aid of electronics.

It's less an "aid" thing and more a "cheap insurance" sort of thing - but only in a few places as well - like the Scotland area.  Certainly, I carry my phone almost all the time - when hiking, cycling, wandering, traveling - but it's more for photos than anything else.  My wife usually leaves her phone at home or in the glove compartment (since I have the phone/camera).  On rides, I have the dedicated Garmin, and that has it's own "safety" stuff build in.  

For someone like Dennis, who lives in the mountains, I'd think he was a proponent of this sort of tech (if a SPOT isn't in play), and for the search and rescue folks, the less exposure they face "searching" and can focus on the rescue, the better (cost and risk-wise).

...I used to go hiking and backpacking in the mountains here (and in the Appalachians) to get away from people and the accompanying distractions. It would be counterproductive to carry along a cell phone.  The only places I could be truly alone would then be areas with no reception.  I'm just not following your logic here.

I'd rather invest in some proven technology, like an emergency locator beacon, if I were worried enough about my ability to stay out of trouble.

SPOT GEN3 SATELLITE GPS MESSENGER TRACKER-NEW

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

It would be counterproductive to carry along a cell phone.  The only places I could be truly alone would then be areas with no reception.  I'm just not following your logic here.

"Counterproductive"???? It sits in your backpack or pocket.  What's making it anything more than a few ounces in your backpack????  SPOTs add weight to, and cost additional $$$.

In the article's video, the point was clearly made that there was no need for reception. The search doodad finds the cell phone if it is turned on, regardless of reception.  If you have NO reception, how is it counterproductive? You couldn't be interrupted or disturbed.   Except that it is a FREE safety device rather than requiring you to buy something else you would only sporadically need.  

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If you have NO reception, how is it counterproductive? You couldn't be interrupted or disturbed.   Except that it is a FREE safety device rather than requiring you to buy something else you would only sporadically need.  

...you are presuming I have a current cell phone, and that's a fallacious assumption. There are many forms of GPS connected locator devices. I just picked another one at random. I just do not want people to get the idea I'm reachable.  That would lead to all sorts of misunderstandings, not the least of which is the oft heard, "Why do you always keep your phone turned off ? Why don't you return my messages ?"

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...you are presuming I have a current cell phone, and that's a fallacious assumption. There are many forms of GPS connected locator devices. I just picked another one at random. I just do not want people to get the idea I'm reachable.  That would lead to all sorts of misunderstandings, not the least of which is the oft heard, "Why do you always keep your phone turned off ? Why don't you return my messages ?"

So, you have no cell phone, yet you also no longer do these secluded walkabouts.  You're good, man, no need for a SPOT or a cell phone.  This post was more a comment on the 99.9% of adventurers who might be out and about in the future and may have their lives saved, and their rescuers at much less risk, due to tech in their pocket being married to other inexpensive tech.  And at no additional cost or effort on their part.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

So, you have no cell phone, yet you also no longer do these secluded walkabouts.  You're good, man, no need for a SPOT or a cell phone.  This post was more a comment on the 99.9% of adventurers who might be out and about in the future and may have their lives saved, and their rescuers at much less risk, due to tech in their pocket being married to other inexpensive tech.  And at no additional cost or effort on their part.

...they find dead people along the American river, in areas I travel by foot or bicycle all the time.

It is true I don't walk to places I stay overnight any more. Maybe this is why all the homeless guys I see here have cell phones ?

• Confused 1

Just now, Page Turner said:

...they find dead people along the American river, in areas I travel by foot or bicycle all the time.

It is true I don't walk to places I stay overnight any more. Maybe this is why all the homeless guys I see here have cell phones ?

What on Earth does that have to do with finding a lost hiker/skier/mountain biker?????  You seemed to understand the point of a SPOT, so you should get the gist of this stuff. :dontknow:

@Razors Edge, some people who hike and adventure do so because they don’t want to be reachable. And I dare say that they understand that surviving is then in them alone. They’ve contemplated that and decided they are ok with not being rescued if something tragic happens. 

Maybe that’s not fathomable for some or even many. But it’s how some people are. 

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Zealot said:

I still go out without the aid of electronics. When Mrs Z and I ‘disappear’ on vacation, we go where there is no cell or any other type of access.  And we enjoy it. 

We do let each other know what our agenda is. And if we’re together, we let one of our children know.  And we let them know when we get back. 

But, we don’t like being tethered at those times. 

LIke before cell phones were common. People traveled.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Indeed.  While electronics can be great tools, I think they are horrible masters.  It’s why I stopped using bike computers. 

Great for other people to track mileage at least. Garmin is useful for long distance touring especially in unknown areas.

I stopped measuring my speed about a decade after I returned to cycling. It was pulling down my joy of cycling when I became overly concerned about my speed which is the wrong attitude about cycling for life.

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Zealot said:

Indeed.  While electronics can be great tools, I think they are horrible masters.  It’s why I stopped using bike computers. 

What was your computer telling you to do?

Mine is busy recording, not talking :)  Unless I want it to, but that's not normally the case.

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What was your computer telling you to do?

Mine is busy recording, not talking :)  Unless I want it to, but that's not normally the case.

Now you’re being facetious. You understand what I am saying. But on the off chance you need something technological to assist your understanding, I’ll see if I can explain it simpler - people tend to get used to something and then become convinced that they need it to enjoy what they used to enjoy without it. Or that they need to feel safer before doing something they were once at peace with. It’s a mental mastership... 😉 

6 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Now you’re being facetious. You understand what I am saying. But on the off chance you need something technological to assist your understanding, I’ll see if I can explain it simpler - people tend to get used to something and then become convinced that they need it to enjoy what they used to enjoy without it. Or that they need to feel safer before doing something they were once at peace with. It’s a mental mastership... 😉 

For the record, I am speaking from my own experience. And I did not like that about myself.  In the end, @Razors Edge, it’s a personal thing. That’s really all I’m trying to convey. 

• Solution

The drone search tool is pretty cool. 

This discussion is interesting. I'll add this for consideration. Being trackable is not just for you. Consider going for a hike and getting lost. A family member reports you missing and Search and Rescue has to come find you. By making it more difficult, you have put them at risk. 

We still have a missing person in the Tetons. Last summer there were at least four, all deceased. 

Personally, I own a Garmin InReach, a BCA avalanche beacon, my phone with the Backcountry SOS app, and some of my gear has Recco devices.

My GF performed one rescue on the Grand. It's safe to say, being able to communicate with the rangers and S&R saved the lives of two people. 

I take my phone on rides. I only use it in an emergency. Not a big deal to me, but WoW is a worrier. It helps her peace of mind. 
Im in the market for a new helmet with better ventilation. When we were looking at Global Bikes, most of the better breathing helmets had ANGi technology. They cost more, but WoW wants me to get one since I ride alone in the desert. So I get a nice helmet and she worries less.  Fine. 
Tech can be beneficial without being beholden to it. Before cell phones, I had a transmission fail in my car while I was in the very rural Sandhills of Nebraska. It was a cold night and the few trucks going by wouldn’t stop. Luckily the Sheriff took me to his place until my dad could come get me. It could have ended worse!  Yes there are places where there is no data, but I can usually get a phone signal. I still go places with no service. Doesn’t bother me. It’s a nice tool to have at my disposal when it’s available. 

On 4/15/2022 at 11:17 AM, Razors Edge said:

Here is another good use of a phone in the backcountry.

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/hiking-and-backpacking/gaia-find-your-location-without-cell-service/

• Awesome 1

I used to have a cheap, $25 Tracfone on my person when I traveled so I could contact someone if I broke down.

Now, I'll drive back to the house if I left without my smartphone - my car's Bluetooth will announce "disconnected" if I drive down the street and the phone's in the house.  It's a lot of security!

It's especially potentially great when you're older.

Once around 2000, my mid-70's mother phoned me at work - she waited until my last class was over at 2 pm - to tell me she had a flat tire and was at a small gas station that had no auto service.  I was only about 15 minutes from the school at which I taught, so I drove to her and showed her and her friend how to use the air pump I had previously bought for her that plugged into the 12V (cigarette lighter) plug.  Both of them were amazed when I pumped the tire up.  Mom said she needed new tires anyway - she did - so I followed her 1 mile to Costco, then drove back to school to finish preparing for the next day.

The phone turned the problem into a small inconvenience.