So last night we watched a recent Woody Allen movie, and an episode from Amazon Prime's Modern Love.

Page Turner

...and I woke up this morning realizing that this entertainment trend of spending some time with the rich and beautiful people wandering around New York City, from palatial apartment, to taxi, to a romantic scene in Central Park or along the East River, has absolutely zero connection to the NYC I experienced in real life.  I wasn't born and brought up there, but I did visit pretty regularly in my first 20 or so years on the planet, and had both relatives and friends who lived there, so I could see how they lived. Here's some footage from A Rainy Day in New York:

...and here's the trailer from Modern Love:

This weirded me out a little bit, because it is an exact formulaic replica of the movies set in NYC in the 1930's, during the Great Depression, starring people like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, or those Thin Man movies with William Powell and Myrna Loy (with their dog, Asta).

I enjoyed the movies.  I cannot help but wonder if it is because they allowed me to cast aside all concerns with the realities and worries of the little people for a couple of hours ?

Complaints of poor construction are on the rise in new luxury rental and condo buildings, after two chaotic years of New York real estate amid the pandemic.

New development is rarely perfect, but a crop of pandemic-era apartment buildings that have hit the market show that two years of stop-and-start construction, global supply chain issues, pressure from lenders and yo-yoing housing prices have taken a larger toll. Complaints and legal claims are already emerging, signaling that a confluence of all factors amid the Covid crisis could continue to be a problem for new construction — from entry-level studios to top-tier penthouses — for years to come, according to lawyers and development consultants.

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

Complaints of poor construction are on the rise in new luxury rental and condo buildings, after two chaotic years of New York real estate amid the pandemic.

New development is rarely perfect, but a crop of pandemic-era apartment buildings that have hit the market show that two years of stop-and-start construction, global supply chain issues, pressure from lenders and yo-yoing housing prices have taken a larger toll. Complaints and legal claims are already emerging, signaling that a confluence of all factors amid the Covid crisis could continue to be a problem for new construction — from entry-level studios to top-tier penthouses — for years to come, according to lawyers and development consultants.

That Steinway Tower scares me a bit.  Might have been completed pre-COVID, though. :dontknow:  Nope:

Construction started July 8, 2015 (residential tower)
June 1924 (Steinway Hall)
Topped-out October 2019 (residential tower)
Completed 2021 (residential tower)
October 27, 1925 (Steinway Hall)

5234.jpg?width=465&quality=45&auto=forma

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

That Steinway Tower scares me a bit.  Might have been completed pre-COVID, though. :dontknow:  Nope:

Construction started July 8, 2015 (residential tower)
June 1924 (Steinway Hall)
Topped-out October 2019 (residential tower)
Completed 2021 (residential tower)
October 27, 1925 (Steinway Hall)

5234.jpg?width=465&quality=45&auto=forma

Saw a story on this building on  our way out of NYC. They called it the coffee stirrer building. Complaints from the upper floors of movement 2 or 3 feet in high winds. Yikes

2 hours ago, Scrapr said:

Saw a story on this building on  our way out of NYC. They called it the coffee stirrer building. Complaints from the upper floors of movement 2 or 3 feet in high winds. Yikes

Those real tall skinny buildings use a hanging weight, way up high, to dampen movements, maybe it needs to be tuned.

"To minimize the swaying, developers are putting giant counterweights called tuned mass dampers near the top of skyscrapers. A TMD is a giant ball made of steel or concrete that weighs anywhere from 300 to 800 tons, and it's usually suspended in the building using springs and pistons".Sep 23, 2015

• Thank You 1