So before someone hides this as political...

Page Turner
Go to solution Solved by Thaddeus Kosciuszko,

“So obviously half the viewers are now like, ‘What, testicle tanning? That’s crazy,’” Carlson told McGovern. “But my view is, okay, testosterone levels have crashed and nobody says anything about it. That’s crazy. So why is it crazy to seek solutions?”

“It’s not crazy to seek solutions,” McGovern responded, adding to Carlson that he had recently been “exposed” to the term “bromeopathy.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/04/tucker-carlson-consider-testicle-tanning-end-of-men

...see, Lance Armstrong figured this testosterone thing out years ago, but he was crucified for being ahead of the curve. :(

1027564_1_0214-lance-armstrong_standard?

• Haha 1

One of the several reasons testosterone levels have crashed - and had been crashing throughout the 1900's before the avg. man became more sedentary - is thought to be due to the various chemicals in food, air, water we are now getting into our bodies.  Even on the highest mountain peaks in the USA, residues of prescription chemicals are found.  Other reasons include obesity and the decline in cigarette smoking - which increases testosterone levels.

Tucker Carlson appears to have put as little research into this video as in his others. "...exercise may help.  Doctors and fitness professionals still have a lot to learn about exercise and its effects on testosterone. Several factors besides your workout are involved.

But one thing is clear: You need to make exercise a habit in order to get the benefits.

After exercise, testosterone levels rise -- but not for long. "Sometimes it's 15 minutes after exercise that testosterone is elevated. Sometimes it can be up to an hour,” says Todd Schroeder, PhD, who studies exercise and hormones in older men at the University of Southern California."

3 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I think we should lighten up on the moderators.  Comments of late seem to have become somewhat more sharp.

They make judgment calls, which means there's no set formula because everyone's judgment is a bit different.  On rare occasion they may remove a thread preemptively or they may make a mistake.  If that occurs I would suggest our understanding and forgiveness should reflect that we realize that all humans err and the bounds within which moderating occurs are not absolute.

On the whole they keep this place enjoyable for a group of people who have a wide range of viewpoints.  Conflict is essentially non-existent; I would dare say what conflict does exist here is at a far lower level that what you might find in most 'real' families.

The pay stinks, there's no glory, little thanks, and of late increasing criticism.

Most of us have been here long enough to have a good sense of the tone and temper of the Forum, so we should be familiar with what subjects and comments are likely to merit action in the eyes of a moderator.  There should be few surprises and on the whole I think that's the case.

I would suggest there are three options for those who find this site over-moderated: understand the moderators are doing the best they can, volunteer to be a moderator, or find a site that meets your expectations for moderating.  I have no concerns if people want to express concerns about threads being moderated, but I would make the appeal that such concerns be expressed with a measure of grace and with appreciation for what the moderators try to do.

...I think maybe that irony gets manipulated a lot here.  And it's in keeping with the topic, because Tucker can't take a joke either. That's what I think.

As for the rest of your contribution here, maybe your opinions and my opinions will never, ever, in a million years, coincide.  I'm fine with that. But this idea you keep referencing that, somehow, if we were all better adults, things would go more smoothly here, is nonsense. Adults can talk about adult topics without needing to hide stuff.

I would suggest that you lighten up, Francis. This was a pretty obvious joke about hiding threads and testicle tanning. I'm sorry if you didn't get it.  But you appear to be easily offended, by just about anything I manage to post. When you speak of conflict being essentially non existent, I have to wonder where you've been all the years you've spent on this forum.  Conflict is not non existent, it simply goes along unresolved, because you cannot resolve conflict without meaningful exchange of words. Sometimes, even then, it continues. To expect or to strive for a level of conflict here that is less than that in an average Disney movie strikes me as a highly unrealistic expectation. Good luck with setting that as the goal.

6 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

To expect or to strive for a level of conflict here that is less than that in an average Disney movie strikes me as a highly unrealistic expectation.

To expect or to strive for a level of conflict here that is less than that in an average Disney movie strikes me as the forum owner's expectation.

As a mod, I can take any criticism of my actions - because I know SW has my back.  Knowing the other 2 mods a bit, I think they can as well.  I also know all 3 react to threads differently, as does SW.  I have never given a warning point, which means I have never come close to suspending someone.  I typically hide an offending thread and move on.  What you don't see when I hide a thread is the offending thread or the PMs that are received behind the scenes.  99% of the time a thread starts to go off the rails or does go off the rails and anyone paying attention understands why.  I can lock the thread or hide it.  Others tend to lock them - I tend to hide them.

In the middle of my Easter I got a message.  I looked at a thread, saw it going into territory the our Dear Leader doesn't want entered and I hid the thread and went back to my Easter (I hope you enjoyed yours as well).  In the evening, I logged back in and saw all kinds of crap that I probably created from my hiding of a thread (and other mods had to deal with).

If we are all adults here as you say, then - Deal With It.  Just like others are instructed to do.

Moderating this forum is pretty easy to do because of some of the things TK mentioned and because SW ALWAYS has our backs. 

There aren't many rules here and all our rules are subjective.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

• Heart 2

33 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

To expect or to strive for a level of conflict here that is less than that in an average Disney movie strikes me as the forum owner's expectation.

As a mod, I can take any criticism of my actions - because I know SW has my back.  Knowing the other 2 mods a bit, I think they can as well.  I also know all 3 react to threads differently, as does SW.  I have never given a warning point, which means I have never come close to suspending someone.  I typically hide an offending thread and move on.  What you don't see when I hide a thread is the offending thread or the PMs that are received behind the scenes.  99% of the time a thread starts to go off the rails or does go off the rails and anyone paying attention understands why.  I can lock the thread or hide it.  Others tend to lock them - I tend to hide them.

In the middle of my Easter I got a message.  I looked at a thread, saw it going into territory the our Dear Leader doesn't want entered and I hid the thread and went back to my Easter (I hope you enjoyed yours as well).  In the evening, I logged back in and saw all kinds of crap that I probably created from my hiding of a thread (and other mods had to deal with).

If we are all adults here as you say, then - Deal With It.  Just like others are instructed to do.

Moderating this forum is pretty easy to do because of some of the things TK mentioned and because SW ALWAYS has our backs. 

There aren't many rules here and all our rules are subjective.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

Back when I was a mod I followed a philosophy of always sending a brief message to the person who got the post, but not the whole thread disappeared.  That was to explain what and why but was not to be an invitation to argue the point.  To have whole threads disappear without explanation, especially if it was your thread and you hadn't seen what another poster did to get it put into hiding, is unsettling.

Just my opinion.

27 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

..is it ? Thank you for this. I had not, prior to this, understood that pre Kindergarten was the appropriate level of communication.

29 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

...I'm not sure why you think I have not accepted the hiding of that thread. Indeed, in my first or second post in it (I would quote it for you, but it's hidden now), I mentioned that to address the CRT aspect of it would quickly veer off into the political, so I just wanted to restrict it to my puzzlement over why so many people in America were upset about common core math teaching.

If you were somehow interrupted in your Easter festivities, I'm sorry.  It certainly was not me who interrupted you.  I thought I dealt with it pretty effectively, at the time.  I posted you a classic piece of American music, that I sometimes use to take away the sting of disappointment. I gave you the Barry Manilow version, which cis about as apolitical as I am capable of being.  Here is the slightly more political (but better musically) Billie Holiday version.

This is a great deal of ado about precious little.  If that's moderation, I must misunderstand the concept. Tucker Carlson talking about the End of Men is funny.  It makes me sad that between you and @Thaddeus Kosciuszko, it now qualifies as something else to be hidden.

Back to the OT...  "Art of Manliness" is a popular blog. And "Strenuous Life" is a man-up life training program with millions of users. Also, I've read a number of essays recently calling for an end to infantilizing and nanny-ing people into submissive lives, oblivious to the calling on our lives to engage life's complexities.

• Thank You 1

58 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

I would suggest that you lighten up, Francis. This was a pretty obvious joke about hiding threads and testicle tanning. I'm sorry if you didn't get it.  But you appear to be easily offended, by just about anything I manage to post. When you speak of conflict being essentially non existent, I have to wonder where you've been all the years you've spent on this forum.  Conflict is not non existent, it simply goes along unresolved, because you cannot resolve conflict without meaningful exchange of words. Sometimes, even then, it continues. To expect or to strive for a level of conflict here that is less than that in an average Disney movie strikes me as a highly unrealistic expectation. Good luck with setting that as the goal.

None of what I said was directed at you, personally, or intended as a critique of your thread title or content.

It simply seemed to me a convenient place to provide context for noting a trend I'd observed and to make a polite request to consider the work moderators do, rather than starting a new thread on its own.  It truly wasn't about you at all.

The amount of energy you choose to invest and expend in internalizing a general comment is entirely up to you, as you best know what return to expect from your investment, and whether it's a wise one.

4 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

..is it ? Thank you for this. I had not, prior to this, understood that pre Kindergarten was the appropriate level of communication.

You are confusing communication with conflict level.

5 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

If you were somehow interrupted in your Easter festivities, I'm sorry.  It certainly was not me who interrupted you. 

No apology needed.

5 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

I gave you the Barry Manilow version

I tend to dislike Barry

This is a great deal of ado about precious little.

Agreed

Tucker Carlson talking about the End of Men is funny. 

To a degree it is, if you consider the emasculation of men comical.  BLW I found the humor in it, even considering that at his core Carlson is a political figure.

8 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

It makes me sad that between you and @Thaddeus Kosciuszko, it now qualifies as something else to be hidden

I don't see it as something that needs to be hidden and I guess no other mod has either, even if the only reason for posting it may have been to stir addition conflict.

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

None of what I said was directed at you, personally, or intended as a critique of your thread title or content.

It simply seemed to me a convenient place to provide context for noting a trend I'd observed and to make a polite request to consider the work moderators do, rather than starting a new thread on its own.  It truly wasn't about you at all.

The amount of energy you choose to invest and expend in internalizing a general comment is entirely up to you, as you best know what return to expect from your investment, and whether it's a wise one.

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

...even if the only reason for posting it may have been to stir addition conflict.

...perspective is everything in life. I would submit that neither of you have any idea of mine.  I would need hip boots to continue this conversation, because it's getting pretty deep in here.