Museums ..in far flung places

shootingstar

I'm always amazed by the passion of rare folks, who keep a museum running in a far-flung geographic location.

Canadian Clock Museum which I just stumbled across it now. Never heard of it.  Museum History | The Canadian Clock Museum (canclockmuseum.ca)  It's well over 400 km. north of Toronto with more limited highway choices to get there. 

Coolest Canadian museum I've been  (and haven't been to that many) is the Canadian Canoe Museum, in Peterborough --about 120 km. northeast of Toronto. It's the only one of its kind in  Canada.  We went twice to it in span over 20 yrs. It's not that far away. 

Different canoes, and different First Nations/native Indian groups have different canoe decorative motifs, materials. Some very old kayaks also..and longboats (ie. Northwest coast which there's more to see in B.C.)  To me, this museum captures the spirit and major eras of  Canadian history, regions and culture through a water vessel.  Travel, exploration,  discovery, trade and enjoyment.

Canadian Canoe Museum : Plying Waters of Culture, History and Geographic Exploration – Cycle Write Blog (wordpress.com)

• Awesome 1

8 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I'm always amazed by the passion of rare folks, who keep a museum running in a far-flung geographic location.

Most travel shows I watch will visit local museums.  Many are small labors of love.  Rarely is the museum of "world class" variety, but most are better in that their size and scope is readily enjoyable and can be explored in a shorter time and without crowds.  Often they're simple personal collections that grow to a size where the owner is encouraged to share.  Lots of interesting car museums out there that start as one person's hobby and over a few decades become a gem.  

I also think of that slot car video a couple days ago and how that could quickly morph into a "museum" when the next generation is confronted with what to do with it.  Something that neat shouldn't be tossed, and hopefully, it can be preserved for future generations.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

I went to the Bata Shoe Museum, which is 0 miles north of Toronto on Bloor. That one had some bizarre footwear. 
There’s a jello museum in Leroy NY, about 50 miles east of me. Haven’t ventured in there. 

I've been there...it is a true museum...architecture, real formally trained pros are on staff/hired conservationist, archivist, etc.  The exhibits are quite interesting and well-done. 

21 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I've been there...it is a true museum...architecture, real formally trained pros are on staff/hired conservationist, archivist, etc.  The exhibits are quite interesting and well-done. 

How was the gift shop? Probably not as good as the Jello one!

eddb11d0a227013aa50b005056a9545d

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How was the gift shop? Probably not as good as the Jello one!

eddb11d0a227013aa50b005056a9545d

Bata Shoe Museum – An unusual and unique Toronto attraction  I've actually been to this museum 2 times..each time with friends from outside of Toronto.  It shows shoes/boots from ancient, medieval, etc. and from worldwide, for different cultures.

The Mining Museum in Bisbee, AZ, was cool. History, photos, artifacts, and a whole floor devoted to “a day in the mines” with life-sized installations simulating the underground mining experience. Bisbee also has an actual underground mine tour, but we didn’t have the time. 

• Heart 1

Hmm, I went to a Laura Ingalls Wilder museum while visiting Minnesota, but that was very well done and nice (and in a logical location).  My town has a "town museum" that I think is just a room somewhere in town hall so not sure that really counts.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

One  would hope there were phones  cleverly disguisde in statues and artwork, plus funky colours.

No, but the historic artifacts were fascinating, and they have everything! Insulators, early cables, a hospital switchboard and a union card. The largely unseen world of development in telephone infrastructure is worthwhile museum fare. There’s a 4th floor we didn’t see because we had to leave for another appointment. We’re going back.

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

No, but the historic artifacts were fascinating, and they have everything! Insulators, early cables, a hospital switchboard and a union card. The largely unseen world of development in telephone infrastructure is worthwhile museum fare. There’s a 4th floor we didn’t see because we had to leave for another appointment. We’re going back.

So after we went to the Canadian Canoe Museum, we went over close by to a restaurant to eat. There was an older telephone exchange building with this wonderful copper/brass artwork embedded in the brickwork by the entrance.

The city of Peterborough used to have up to 10 different local canoe manufacturers.

We have to remember that mail was delivered in the   1700's, early 1800's by the Indians and courier de bois  (French for runners of the rivers).....communication/messages the long way.

Copper metal artwork embedded in wood door of former Bell telephone exchange building. Downtown Peterborough, ON 2015. Photo by J.Chong

• Heart 1

On 4/27/2022 at 10:48 PM, shootingstar said:

Several years ago. we found the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, In a very remote area on the shore of Lake Superior.  We were on vacation driving around Lake Michigan.  Yeah go figure... we decided to explore some of the shore of Lake superior too.

Very interesting place.  The even had the bell from the SS Edmund Fitzgerald.

image.thumb.jpeg.3509280a2b73ac729b39537afff4bc39.jpeg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

9 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Several years ago. we found the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, In a very remote area on the shore of Lake Superior.  We were on vacation driving around Lake Michigan.  Yeah go figure... we decided to explore some of the shore of Lake superior too.

Very interesting place.  The even had the bell from the SS Edmund Fitzgerald.

image.thumb.jpeg.3509280a2b73ac729b39537afff4bc39.jpeg

Very cool!  There is a very similar one in the oyster town of Bivalve, NJ. 

• Heart 1