How long can you go without your phone?

Square Wheels

Or only use it for a phone?

The planet is mostly covered with service, at least where I've been.  On our honeymoon about 15 years ago, we took a cruise to Alaska, then spent about a week in Alaska.  Almost no service the whole time.  I liked it.

If I only used it as a phone, I could go weeks / months.

• Heart 1

I use my phone a lot for work. Text and emails throughout the day free me from needing to be at my desk. I use my phone at home for surfing the net and playing hearts, solitaire, snarps, Wordle and the crossword. I rarely break out my laptop at home, unless work-related. I never got a new tablet when my iPad got so old Apple didn’t support it’s IOS any longer, no need.

• Heart 3

Till I take my next ride with the Garmin recording.  Most likely won't even turn it on tomorrow on a rainy day when I will be working in the lab all day.  Very few people even have my phone number.  My contact list is like 8 and half of them are family.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

we took a cruise to Alaska, then spent about a week in Alaska.  Almost no service the whole time.  I liked it.

Most of our vacations were places for hiking.  Many of those locations didn't have cell service.   I never missed using the phone.    It was nice.... 

During vacations, most of the time the phone was off.  If it was on, customers or others from work would call, at all hours of the day or night.   

Now, our cell phones are our only phones.  No land line.   

That said... If I only had to use our cell phone as a phone, It would take a while to adjust but I could live just fine.   I lived thru the  1/2 of the 50s, 60s, 70s, and early 80s with no cell phone apps, etc...  I'm sure I can do that again.

• Heart 1

I don't use it much when I'm outside, but it does make me anxious if I forget it.  I'll often order food, and it's a time issue if I have to go their and wait.

Since my work email is on my phone, it also depends on how busy I am at work and if I'm expecting emails that I'll need to handle.

At home, I mainly use my phone to text my family so it's the main way I keep in touch with them on a daily basis.

• Hugs 1

Yesterday I spent 4 hours photographing with a lovely young lady, her family in tow as we hit a couple different locations. Aside from GPS to the first location, the phone was only used in my car as it automatically attached to Bluetooth for music. We then used GPS to get supper. The next time it was used was to confirm a couple things with the model when I got home. So in a 10 hour span, it was used actively twice and passively for music. 
Today, I used more actively to catch up on my friend whose home was hit by a tornado, see how friends did at the Lincoln marathon and take a picture of the cat…..and participate here. 
The phone is not my life, but it helps to span the distance to people important in my life. 

• Hugs 1

I could give or take a phone.  I would be fine without one.  I do like to let the wife know when I am on my way home, check on kids, etc.  Texts would do fine for that.

I can't survive 10 min without my smart part of my smart phone.  I have to be able to know who was playing the guitar on that last track, what year Ford quit making that engine, what river we are currently driving over.   I think that I have gotten so used to having a portable google machine for my random questions in my head that I would have severe anxiety without it. 

I like social media but could go without if I had to.  

I could not survive without being able to take any random little pics I see. 

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Or only use it for a phone?

The planet is mostly covered with service, at least where I've been.  On our honeymoon about 15 years ago, we took a cruise to Alaska, then spent about a week in Alaska.  Almost no service the whole time.  I liked it.

If I only used it as a phone, I could go weeks / months.

When I'm away from home, I almost never make phone calls: I like the feeling of getting away from everything bu what I'm doing for a while.  My calls are limited to ordering ahead at a pizza or sub shop or calling to ask something like, "They're out of Tropicana, what else do you want me to buy?"

When we did our Caribbean Cruise, I wanted to enjoy the cruise and not get distracted by the phone, so I didn't pay for ship Internet and my cheap Tracfone service was out of range. I didn't miss it. The only time I used it was when a beach on the Yucatan Peninsula had free - but very slow - WiFi service and I sent a couple pictures here.  Otherwise, I just used it as a camera and camcorder.

17 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I use my phone a lot for work. Text and emails throughout the day free me from needing to be at my desk. I use my phone at home for surfing the net and playing hearts, solitaire, snarps, Wordle and the crossword. I rarely break out my laptop at home, unless work-related. I never got a new tablet when my iPad got so old Apple didn’t support it’s IOS any longer, no need.

Pretty much this for me.   Some complain about being constantly connected but being constantly connected also means not being chained to your desk at work.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Pretty much this for me.   Some complain about being constantly connected but being constantly connected also means not being chained to your desk at work.

This.  When on leave, I can do without.  It is not unusual for us to do a four or five day canoe trip with no coverage and not even turn the phone on.  

At this point in my life it is kept close for work.  It will be interesting when I retire how that changes.

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

MY phone! F@#K, where is my phone?? Never mind, it was in my pocket.  :) 

I’m sure this came about from carrying a weapon daily for years but I always check myself whenever I get up & move.  I no longer check/feel my right hip but to touch my wallet, keys & phone as I’m walking away to be sure I have everything. 

• Heart 1

I burn the damn thing if I could, but I have a wife with medical issues, a mother in her late 80s, and in-laws (also in their 80s) who are in constant need. I'm not allowed to be without my phone or out of service range for more than a couple of hours.

• Hugs 1