Wordle for 5/3/22 (Spoiler)

Ralphie
Go to solution Solved by Road Runner,

10 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Why did you skip cairn and dairy? :scratchhead::P

I didn't even know CAIRN was a word.  :)

I should have had it in two.  I thought of HAIRY first, but then FAIRY came to mind.  Of the two, I thought FAIRY was more Wordle-like, so I went with that.  When the F was eliminated, I just jumped on my first guess, HAIRY.  I never considered DAIRY.  

• Heart 1

I realize that people use some words mainly in an attempt to locate or eliminate certain letters.  But it should always be remembered that words like CAIRN, GRITH, LARCH, and GARNI are rather obscure words and, as such, are likely never to appear as Wordle solution words.  Just saying.  :)

• Heart 1
  • Whatever 1

36 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I realize that people use some words mainly in an attempt to locate or eliminate certain letters.  But it should always be remembered that words like CAIRN, GRITH, LARCH, and GARNI are rather obscure words and, as such, are likely never to appear as Wordle solution words.  Just saying.  :)

22 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Wordle Bot likes the word cairn. It indicates that word as "a possible solution" and rated it a 93% likely to be a result.

From an internet Wordle article:

"... Wordle says there are 10657 US English 5-letter words.  Only 2315 words are used as answers as the rest are too obscure and would make the game a trial-and-error game for regular people."

Here is the list of usable words:

https://gist.github.com/cfreshman/a03ef2cba789d8cf00c08f767e0fad7b

CAIRN is on the list.  LARCH, GRITH, and GARNI are not.

But I would guess that CAIRN is rather obscure to most people.  How it made the list makes no sense to me.

6 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

What do you have against FAIRY and DAIRY?  :huh:  

:)

I knew there wasn't a D from "adieu" and then it was just a 50/50 guess.

37 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

But I would guess that CAIRN is rather obscure to most people.  How it made the list makes no sense to me.

They're all over the place, though. By the looks of this riverside I visited, many people are familiar with the word cairn. My sophomores left a few in the rock pile outside the school building during lockdown. It's a universally known sign that "we were here." That you personally wouldn't think to use that word while playing Wordle doesn't change the fact that it's included in the answer bank. Maybe it's time to include it in your regular rotation, perhaps the starting word since it rates 93 in Wordle Bot. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_270.jpg

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

image.thumb.png.32dfc98d462e776210af55374615735f.png

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

I used cairn mainly as an exploratory but I didn’t think it was obscure enough to not be a possible solution, so a good middle ground.  Of course one of the y words would have been better and I would have used one of them had it occurred to me at the time. 

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

By the looks of this riverside I visited, many people are familiar with the word cairn.

But I think the idea is to use words that most people are familiar with and may use in regular writing and conversation.  The idea of Wordle, as I understand it, is to solve for normally used and recognizable words, and not to use words that may be unfamiliar to many, making the game for them to be just an all-out letter guessing game.

Of course, it is just a game and everyone will play however they choose, but IMO, selecting a 2-6 guess word that seems pretty obscure, when other better choices are available, might be in the nature of a tactical error.  :)

The intent of my previous post was to provide a possibly helpful game play pointer.  It was not intended to offend.  :)

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

They're all over the place, though. By the looks of this riverside I visited, many people are familiar with the word cairn. My sophomores left a few in the rock pile outside the school building during lockdown. It's a universally known sign that "we were here." That you personally wouldn't think to use that word while playing Wordle doesn't change the fact that it's included in the answer bank. Maybe it's time to include it in your regular rotation, perhaps the starting word since it rates 93 in Wordle Bot. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_270.jpg

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/rabbit-holes/people-are-stacking-too-many-stones

I think one of the first times I played the answer was 'tacit' so there are obscure words in play.  I assume if it in their 'dictionary' then is can be selected as a solution, so theoretically roate and adieu can one day be the answer

3 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I think one of the first times I played the answer was 'tacit' so there are obscure words in play.  I assume if it in their 'dictionary' then is can be selected as a solution, so theoretically roate and adieu can one day be the answer

From my post above.  ^

"... Wordle says there are 10657 US English 5-letter words.  Only 2315 words are used as answers as the rest are too obscure and would make the game a trial-and-error game for regular people."

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

A big vocabulary is probably a hindrance in Wordle unless you can stifle it, but stifling is un natural. :D

Quordle on the other hand seems a tad more oot there. 

So you are saying my lack of vocabulary helps me when I play Wordle?  :o

Excellent!  :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

From my post above.  ^

Bahahaha..., I am totally busted.  I don't read most threads I post in.  

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Road Runner said:

and GARNI are not.

No. It’s a total foodie word, and I played it in the spirit of “dying spectacularly.”

My siblings and I used to play a game; the object was to run from the curb to the front porch before a passing car reached the front sidewalk that runs from the street to the porch. If you didn’t reach “safe” on the porch, you were dead. So, waiting until the last possible moment to start running for the porch, you could get caught out, and then the object became to die spectacularly. My brother Duane was best at theatrical death throes, flipping over, crawling morosely toward us crying, “Save me!” I usually just wailed and fell down. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

No. It’s a total foodie word, and I played it in the spirit of “dying spectacularly.”

My siblings and I used to play a game; the object was to run from the curb to the front porch before a passing car reached the front sidewalk that runs from the street to the porch. If you didn’t reach “safe” on the porch, you were dead. So, waiting until the last possible moment to start running for the porch, you could get caught out, and then the object became to die spectacularly. My brother Duane was best at theatrical death throes, flipping over, crawling morosely toward us crying, “Save me!” I usually just wailed and fell down. 

I love creative play