So more Canucks filtering in

shootingstar

Into our city / province.

We have a reputation (which is  not totally right) of being redneck compared to other provinces...because of some past/present leaders, some kooky movements to separate from rest of CAnada (how naive in a global world).

But there's cheaper real estate. So Alberta led rest of Canada for highest interprovincial migration for lst 4 months this yr.  Either people want to own a home or invest in rental or set up biz or both/all.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

(which is  not totally right)

You think that because you live and play in a major modern city full of 'come from aways'.

Once you leave the city limits of Calgary and Edmonton, there is a major shift in attitudes.  A much more extreme shift than other provinces (which all have that rural vs urban swing).

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

You think that because you live and play in a major modern city full of 'come from aways'.

Once you leave the city limits of Calgary and Edmonton, there is a major shift in attitudes.  A much more extreme shift than other provinces (which all have that rural vs urban swing).

You don't really need to get further that the outskirts of either of those cities.  While I think separation is not realistic, it stems from long held beliefs that the West are second place in the confederation and boy blunder is making that very apparent once again.  

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Zephyr said:

unfortunately it is true between urban and rural differences. Much more pronounced differences in Alberta compared to British Columbia.

Rural seems to have a somewhat old-fashioned idea of  what urban folks are about...when now there are more different folks coming from other parts of Canada /globally to live in our city.

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

You don't really need to get further that the outskirts of either of those cities.  While I think separation is not realistic, it stems from long held beliefs that the West are second place in the confederation and boy blunder is making that very apparent once again.  

I also think some Albertans who have not lived or gone away to school outside of  Alberta,  don't quite see/understand the economic power of ie. southern Ontario and why having such a high concentration of very large established universities also allows Ontario to pump out alot  more graduates out of some better programs particularily in  STEM,...which positions Metro  Toronto-K-W in such a strong positiion in high tech, medicine... and  in finance for  Canada.  There's an automatic eager and much larger trained workforce with those desired skills /expertise and tighter networking for cross-fertilization of ideas/innovation. 

The synergies between  those universities in  southern Ontario  and private sector for start-ups from those defected from academia led STEM innovation at a much faster pace...than in Alberta.  

I know, I work with colleagues who have these old-fashioned ideas about Toronto and know no one living in Ontario.  I actually find it disappointing and narrow. 

Yes, people do know I lived and worked in Ontario, then Vancouver.  ...just so they understand  I'm not just thinking of Alberta, but of Canada as whole in for eoncomic health, innovation, etc.