M. Roach's popularity

shootingstar

I don't even  watch tv /Jeporady. :whistle:

But all I've read, is she seems like a bright, good and  down-to-earth person. These days for tv, many people like/want youthful/ promising/bright and good people. From Toronto area but family  root is Nova Scotia: “I had a feeling my time was coming to an end”: Jeopardy! champ Mattea Roach on her epic winning streak and final game (torontolife.com)

Her intelligence is not totally of common realm but an ability to probably handle stress well.

No, not many people have her level of intelligence  but I'm certain some of us do know  someone in our lives similar to her...in spirit, intelligence, humility and steadiness. And I realize all of the latter helps counter against some folks who may disagree with LGQT self-identified folks.

• Heart 1

Well, she didn't get accepted for law school at U of Toronto. So trivia intelligence only works in certain areas of life.  At least, she think for awhile with less $$ worry.

Have you upped your tutoring rates?
I’m taking a break from tutoring. When I started my run, I didn’t think it was fair to leave people hanging, though I do still have sessions with one client. Right now I’m waiting to hear back about my law school applications. I found out a while ago that I didn’t get into U of T, but I still have three more options. We’ll see.

Um, don’t you think U of T might reconsider given everything? 
No, no. They made their decision with the information they had at the time. It’s okay

• Heart 1

She assumed Danielle would bet it all, so Mattea bet enough to exceed that amount by one dollar.  But Danielle apparently figured that Mattea would bet that amount, so she bet just enough (by one dollar) to win if Mattea answered incorrectly, which is what happened.  Danielle's bet doesn't really make sense to me.  She could have bet much more and the outcome would have been the same.  I guess she was trying to make sure she at least finished in second place.  Because of Danielle's lower bet, Mattea could have won if she had bet any amount less than she did.  But who knew?  Danielle's bet was pretty unusual.

The biggest problem was that the question was so biased for Danielle, who lives in Atlanta.  Obviously, she would be much more likely to know the name of the Atlanta airport than someone from Canada.  :(

• Heart 3

30 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

She assumed Danielle would bet it all, so Mattea bet enough to exceed that amount by one dollar.  But Danielle apparently figured that Mattea would bet that amount, so she bet just enough (by one dollar) to win if Mattea answered incorrectly, which is what happened.  Danielle's bet doesn't really make sense to me.  She could have bet much more and the outcome would have been the same.  I guess she was trying to make sure she at least finished in second place.  Because of Danielle's lower bet, Mattea could have won if she had bet any amount less than she did.  But who knew?  Danielle's bet was pretty unusual.

The biggest problem was that the question was so biased for Danielle, who lives in Atlanta.  Obviously, she would be much more likely to know the name of the Atlanta airport than someone from Canada.  :(

Same as Mattea was much more likely to know O Canada than her competitors a few games ago. Some of it comes down to luck. 

• Heart 4

5 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Same as Mattea was much more likely to know O Canada than her competitors a few games ago. Some of it comes down to luck. 

The best thing that happens in games and sports is a dominant champion.  The second best thing is when they eventually lose.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Maybe, at least in Final Jeopardy, they should try to restrict certain clues/answers to avoid such blatant geographical bias for any contestant, unintentional though it might be.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The second best thing is when they eventually lose.

I suppose so.  But when a champion is hot and doing their thing on Jeopardy, I enjoy watching a lot more than I do when it is just three nobodies. 

People either root for the champ or they root against them.  Either way, the excitement level is greatly enhanced when a Ken or James is on the podium.  :)   

• Heart 2