What’s the weirdest smell you have ever smelled?

Square Wheels

18 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Asparapee

I was giving CJ some asparagus spears the other day.  He was whipping them like a bull whip but also eating them.  An hour or so later I was distracting him while mom changed his diaper and we both went ewww asparagus pee! 😂

I remember as a newbie patrol officer booking in a homeless dude.  My FTO says stick your nose in that locker & remember that smell.  Every hype (cop term for heroin addict, hypodermic needle user) smells like that.  Sure as shit he was right.

Fast forward 30+ years and I’m in Atlanta for a wedding.  It was some historic church in a crappy part of town and there are lots of homeless.  In this little alcove a homeless guy is sleeping and as we walk by I smell the hype smell.  I stop, tell my SIL & son smell that?  (Son is all let’s go dad…  don’t worry that hype ain’t gonna move…) SIL, yeah what is that smell?  All hypes smell like that… Son, Uh OK, can we go now?

October 3, Cambridge Maryland--- the smell of burning butter in the air for a week or more.

Day 1

CAMBRIDGE, Md. (AP) _ Firefighters sloshed through five inches of melted butter in battling a warehouse fire that burned out of control for nearly 21 hours.

More than 300 firefighters from Maryland and Delaware had to contend with slippery floors and a dwindling water supply to put out the blaze Monday at the East Coast Cold Storage warehouse, where food was being stored for shipment to Poland and the Soviet Union.

The fire melted 5 million pounds of butter and caused an estimated $3 million damage, said Bob Thomas, deputy state fire marshal. More than 6 million pounds of butter valued at $9 million was stored at the warehouse.

4 days Later- 

CAMBRIDGE, MD., OCT. 5 -- Four days after a fire consumed a refrigerated warehouse here, the scene looked like nothing so much as the remains of the Devil's own barbeque. Flames fed by 750 tons of U.S. government-owned butter that was stored there and melted continued to breed today amid the steel and concrete rubble. Just when firefighters thought they had one hot spot under control, a backhoe clearing debris would uncover another pocket of rancid oil that soon ignited. Of course, grease from the millions of pounds of pork ribs, Butterball turkeys, hot dogs, crab cakes, eel and mackerel also kept in the warehouse didn't help matters. Two rooms in particular were like giant frying pans, where spraying water on the flames only made them flare up more, firefighters said. But it was the butter that most vexed the members of the Cambridge Fire and Rescue Service. Combined with charred wood and water, it acquired the consistency of crude oil or mud and got on everything from ax handles to mustaches. In some places, the glop was two inches thick on the ground, and more than a few workers lost their footing and fell on slick surfaces. "You take leather gloves, soak them in water and butter and try holding on to a rubber hose," one firefighter said. "It's been a frustrating experience." Behind the warehouse, melted butter had gathered in an amber pool six inches deep and covered a 100-foot-long area. Congealed globs of fat floated on the surface and a sickly sweet aroma lingered with the smoke. Officials from the Maryland Department of the Environment had placed straw and dirt around the puddle to keep it from seeping into a nearby creek. The State Fire Marshal's Office has estimated the damage from the fire at $8 million to $10 million, making it one of the costliest fires in Maryland history, said spokesman Bob Thomas. The cause of the fire remained under investigation. The 1.5 million pounds of butter that melted in the fire were a portion of nearly 5 million pounds stored in Cambridge and part of the 381 million pounds of butter the federal government owns nationwide, said Ray Waggoner, a spokesman for the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The butter, worth about $1.8 million, was not insured, he said. Purchased along with cheese and non-fat dried milk as part of a price support program for dairy farmers, most of the butter stored here in 68-pound blocks had been sold to the Soviet Union and was scheduled to be shipped by Christmas, said Steven R. Closson, deputy director of the USDA's Dairy Division. Closson and a team of inspectors were in Cambridge today and found that about 4 million pounds of butter was apparently still frozen and unharmed. It will be taken by truck to a warehouse in New Jersey, where it will be tested further, but will not be sent to Moscow regardless of whether it is still fit for human consumption, Closson said. The butter will most likely end up on cafeteria tables at federal prisons and other public institutions, or perhaps made into butter oil for popcorn, he said. Although the government was resigned to burying the ruined butter in the Dorchester County landfill, Closson said he was amazed to discover that there was a market for it. Representatives of a Danish salvage company who heard about the spoilage on Belgian television were scheduled to arrive in Cambridge on Friday to see if they could recover the melted butter from the ground and rubble, he said. A Missouri salvage company's owner has also expressed interest, although no one here seemed to know his plans. When they weren't busy wrestling with flames or too exhausted to talk, firefighters on the scene could find some humor in their situation. Asked how he planned to rid himself of the grease coating his skin, one firefighter pretended to mop his glistening face and quipped, "Well, bread might work, or I just might put myself in the toaster."

I once flew a body out of the bush that locals had wrapped in a tarp.  The off gassing was so disgusting I tried it to the top of the pontoon as I was not putting that in my plane.  Years of air ambulance taught me that any decaying body smells really bad, even if the rest of it is still alive. 

• Heart 1

On the weird weird, not bad weird- when I raced RC cars there was a foam race tire that smelled like inner tube and tuna fish! I thought maybe I was imagining, but our cat was in my lap trying to get to the tuna. I finally let her sniff a tire. She did and then licked it! Her ears went flat, she hopped off my lap and scowled at me the rest of the night! 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, maddmaxx said:

Then there is Durian fruit.  If you get past the smell it's very tasty.

I want to try it, but don’t want to buy the whole fruit for a taste if I don’t care for it. Sounds like it’s similar to cilantro and some hops where you live or hate it!

1 minute ago, groupw said:

I want to try it, but don’t want to buy the whole fruit for a taste if I don’t care for it. Sounds like it’s similar to cilantro and some hops where you live or hate it!

It's very popular in Malaysia and my Chinese relatives insisted that I try it.  It was a joking sort of challenge.  They assumed that a westerner wouldn't make it.  But then they were surprised when I went to the wet market for breakfast and ate what they ate.

• Heart 1

They told us to take the gas mask off. I can happily say that the gas mask was working as I quickly learned when taking it off.

Jacksonville had two distinct smells in the morning. The Maxwell House plant roating the beans which smells good.  Then there was the field trip in elementary school to the pulp mill. That gagged everyone...and of course as students we overreacted to the stench. 

• Heart 1