What is the weirdest thing that you have ever eaten?

Square Wheels

sea cucumber...a gelatinous creature...  I didn't like it.

When I was a child around 7 yrs. or so and up had:

• rehydrated tiger lily buds..it is used for stir fried and steamed meat dishes.  I have some home in the cupboard right now
  • wood fungus...which is not that unusual nor strange. Just another type of mushroom..rehydrated and cooked into other foods for texture
  • I dunno... guess have to think more.  
  • Heart 1

I'm a very boring eater. Nothing exotic.  Maybe a strawberry flavored hostess cupcake - the ones that are normally chocolate or orange with the little frosting squiggle on it.  It wasn't as good as the chocolate or orange.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

Tim Cahill, an adventure travel writer and one of the founding editors of Outside magazine, has mentioned the strange stuff he has eaten while in far away lands. I recall him mentioning a rooster head, fished out of a pot of soup and served to him, as the guest of honor. He said he always wondered if the hosts were screwing with him, serving the leftover parts just to see if the gringo would eat it.

He wrote a short essay about getting his revenge, a group of researchers or some such thing, from China I believe, although I read the story a long time ago and could be mistaken, but I digress...Any way, he was hosting this group, in Minnesota, at Christmas time, and very serendipitously his church was having their annual lutefisk dinner..

He said it was the first lutefisk dinner he had ever truly enjoyed   :D

• Heart 1
  • Yum 3

23 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I once ate roe.  Yuk!  1067033921_yucky(1).gif.98ada51fc5cb9e1bbbccd40dbf0c9512.gif

I enjoy roe.. well, it's eating eggs. Come on all of us ..have chicken eggs.   

I regret I haven't had sea urchin when I was on Pacific  coast.

22 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Rotten shark in Iceland.

Raw seal liver and kidneys

Puffin

Alligator

Kangaroo

Beluga blubber

Musk ox

Musk ox?  Wow. How often are they even hunted???  Beluga blubber.... both almost sound like eating endangered species.  But then again, so is abalone.

18 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Alligator,(tasted like chicken)

Octopus. They know how to prepare it in Portugal. It was delicious.

Octopus baked.jpg

Was it kind of tender?  Which is how cooked octopus should be.   I had it sliced in some Korean like kimchi frittata in Seoul. It was  delicious and very light with leek mixed into the egg mixture.

Or maybe it's not like cooking squid, which should be done in a flash.

eatingbimbappancake.jpg?w=767&h=1024

• Heart 2

Just now, shootingstar said:

Was it kind of tender?  Which is how cooked octopus should be.

Or maybe it's not like cooking squid, which should be done in a flash.

Yes, it was very tender. I have had cold octopus from a buffet, and it was kind of rubbery, but this one was not at all.

• Heart 1

This was at the Seoul airport:  Glutinous rice doughnuts.  Honest that's just abit too heavy for me to try. Unless they added some sweetener, I can't imagine an exciting flavour.

Really, I'm trying to imagine some folks living all their lives in a rural area, very Anglo life and suddenly dropped into Asia...

glutinous-rice-doughnut2.jpg

Below at tokyo airport where I hung out.  I think I did  buy one. I don't remember it being memorable.  It was fine. :)     

Remember I ate  stuff as a child ..and had no idea what it really was or the English word ...at all. There's still stuff I still don't know. Those unusual herbs my mother put into an herbal soup to cure mouth sores. And it did  cure it.

tofudonuts.jpg

51 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Musk ox?  Wow. How often are they even hunted???  Beluga blubber.... both almost sound like eating endangered species.  But then again, so is abalone.

Neither are endangered because of numbers, and are hunted by Inuit hunters across the arctic.  I don't think non-Inuit can hunt them.  

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Neither are endangered because of numbers, and are hunted by Inuit hunters across the arctic.  I don't think non-Inuit can hunt them.  

I think there has been a way around that.  Often, Inuit guides hold the license and take parties of tourists hunting.  Very limited numbers and a very short season but with enough money, it can be done. 

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I think there has been a way around that.  Often, Inuit guides hold the license and take parties of tourists hunting.  Very limited numbers and a very short season but with enough money, it can be done. 

Ok, a 30 second Google search shows it can be done.  Now I am pissed off. :angry:

I honestly don't understand big game hunters. " It is so big and so rare, I need to kill it. "

https://www.canadianhigharcticadventures.com/musk-ox-hunts/

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Ok, a 30 second Google search shows it can be done.  Now I am pissed off. :angry:

I honestly don't understand big game hunters. " It is so big and so rare, I need to kill it. "

https://www.canadianhigharcticadventures.com/musk-ox-hunts/

I kind of imagine re meat....they'll only try a small amount. I really hate big hunters just for the trophy crap. Or just hunters for the trophy. 

Most items served in a Japanese  restaurant like octopus, urchin, sea cucumber & sea snails.  

One time while in the field we had some down time.  I was a team leader and my guys were pretty worn but we had to go back out in a few.  I saw this big ass creepy crawly bug on a log, snatched it & ate it & said ahhh let’s go!  Fired the boys right up. Except…

Hey Sgt ChrisL look what we caught you! Shit gotta do it now. It got to the point where I started collecting money to eat the creepy crawlers as the shock value wore off & it was about how far could we push the envelope.  So there were stick bugs, crickets, grasshoppers, caterpillars, a big ass lunar moth & various worms.  Also one time while fishing on a boat with my cousins I ate a live anchovy for $50. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Really, I'm trying to imagine some folks living all their lives in a rural area, very Anglo life and suddenly dropped into Asia...

My wife grew up with very plain American style food.  When she came to live with me she really struggled with our food but over the years got used to it and really loved much of it.  I’d guess before she met me had she gone to Asia wouldn’t eat… 

My SIL refuses to eat our food but she joined our family in her late 30’s & was set in her ways. 

• Heart 1

Monkey, snake, opossum, raccoon, alligator, gar, been to a couple wet markets, Guinea pig just to name a few.. I’m really not picky unless it comes to green things like veggies 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

.. Guinea pig just to name a few.. I’m really not picky unless it comes to green things like veggies 

What a carnivore..

Again I've eaten some different veggies for probably first 25 years of my  life and didn't know the English names.  They are situations where children trust their parents completey, they are fed the right / non-harmful things.  Which turned to be completely correct...alot of it quite healthy. I only knew the Chinese word for daikon for the longest while lst 20 yrs. of my life..because we were buying it from Chinatown when it wasn't sold in other stores like now.

Honestly, my sisters have spent time and patience ensuring their children's palates are  broad and accepting.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

You really should get over yourself. You talk like people who live in rural areas have no concept of anything outside of the farm. 

Your Asian doughnuts are still doughnuts. 

Kit Kats are a delicacy in Japan. That's exotic?

• Heart 1

I’ve eaten a lot of meats and veggies considered weird or exotic that really aren’t. The weirdest to my palate was probably the Chinese Moon Cake. The first bite was a spice cake and that was really good. The next bite tasted a little off. I figured something didn’t mix completely. The third bite was really odd. I looked closer to see a whole duck egg yolk in the middle. I took a couple more bites but it wasn’t my thing. Curious if I would like it better now or not with a more well traveled sense of flavors. 

7 hours ago, shootingstar said:

This was at the Seoul airport:  Glutinous rice doughnuts.  Honest that's just abit too heavy for me to try. Unless they added some sweetener, I can't imagine an exciting flavour.

glutinous-rice-doughnut2.jpg

Below at tokyo airport where I hung out.  I think I did  buy one. I don't remember it being memorable.  It was fine. :)     

Remember I ate  stuff as a child ..and had no idea what it really was or the English word ...at all. There's still stuff I still don't know. Those unusual herbs my mother put into an herbal soup to cure mouth sores. And it did  cure it.

tofudonuts.jpg

I'm an anglo country boy who was dropped in Asia a few times, but with a someone to act as a guide.  I think I could adjust to living there without too much trouble beyond learning as much of the local language as this old brain could hold.  Although I enjoyed Kuala Lumpur I think I would rather live out in the country instead of downtown in a large Asian City.  Takatori Japan was IMO ideal.  Everything necessary was in walking distance of Oldest son's apartment and the trains would give one access to larger cities if something outside of local was needed.  There is however nothing in the way of English signage out in the country so you need to learn quickly how to get around to go with some minimal language skills.  Point and smile only gets one so far.

• Heart 2