I am getting soft in my old age.

Wilbur

I don't like the toll we exact on animals.  I don't like roadkill. I don't like sport fishing large species.  I don't like trophy hunting.  I don't like mass production of animals for food.  I used to eat only what I would be willing to kill but even birds have personalities and probalbly would not kill them.  Maybe I would feel less guilt if I just ate Vegans.  

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I agree.  
I will no longer hunt—except for the squirrel in my eves. I’m going to kill that bastard. Haven’t had vegans infest my attic yet; that would probably involve my .22 as well. 

I will not catch and release fish anymore either. I’ll catch what I want to eat and then I’m done fishing until the next trip. 

49 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I don't like the toll we exact on animals.  I don't like roadkill. I don't like sport fishing large species.  I don't like trophy hunting.  I don't like mass production of animals for food.  I used to eat only what I would be willing to kill but even birds have personalities and probalbly would not kill them.  Maybe I would feel less guilt if I just ate Vegans.  

I bet I would be tasty. 

I still eat some meat.  But all red meat is out.  White meat -- except pork -- remains -- as does seafood.  For some reason, taking out a fish or a crustacean does not seem all that cruel.  And chickens?  I guess that's been their fate to be served to mankind since the beginning of time.  We rob their unborn for food and then we eat them.

3 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I never understood the catch and release fish thing. The fish is already hurt...for mankind's sport.

I enjoy fishing but not always cleaning, cooking & eating fish.  Also some fish I enjoy catching just isn’t great to eat due to the waters they live in.  Being an experienced fisherman I know how to safely handle my catch and to release them unharmed.  When trout fishing I often use barbless hooks to ease release.  When saltwater fishing I usually don’t touch the fish either lipping it or clamping forceps on the hook and releasing the fish without ever touching it. 

I wouldn’t expect you to understand but I enjoy the tactics & process of catching fish.  Not so much the process of eating the fish I catch. 

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

I believe the idea behind catch and release is to use barbless hooks?  A fish can overcome that.  Ripping it's flesh out with a barb -- it cannot.

I suppose it depends.  If you are using bait, sure the likelihood of a humane release will be tough.  When using any type of lure whether it be a fly, spinner or jig it usually results in a lip hook which can be easily removed even with a barb.   Yeah the fish will have a hole in its lip but I have caught fish that have had previous catch marks so it doesn’t seem to cripple them. 

Regulated catch & release with barbless hooks is generally enacted to preserve wild trout.  I have never seen barbless hooks required for any other type of fish.  

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I suppose it depends.  If you are using bait, sure the likelihood of a humane release will be tough.  When using any type of lure whether it be a fly, spinner or jig it usually results in a lip hook which can be easily removed even with a barb.   Yeah the fish will have a hole in its lip but I have caught fish that have had previous catch marks so it doesn’t seem to cripple them. 

Regulated catch & release with barbless hooks is generally enacted to preserve wild trout.  I have never seen barbless hooks required for any other type of fish.  

It's been many years since I exercised my fisherman.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Dottles said:

It's been many years since I exercised my fisherman.

And you live in a prime fishing area!

My brother who passed lived in Bothell at one point and I visited in the mid 90’s.  We had an epic week fishing the Skykomish, Snohomish, Skagit, the sound for salmon & several smaller tributaries & lakes.  

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

And you live in a prime fishing area!

My brother who passed lived in Bothell at one point and I visited in the mid 90’s.  We had an epic week fishing the Skykomish, Snohomish, Skagit, the sound for salmon & several smaller tributaries & lakes.  

Yeah, I know.  But it's pretty pressured these days.  We used to travel to Central Washington and clean up.  It's not that way anymore.  It's still good decent but not like it used to be.

• Heart 1