Covid cases on the rise again

Road Runner

We were at my brother's house for a party for his kids this past weekend.  There were 17 people there including 10 adults, five of whom have since tested positive.  We're doing that waiting game (again).  Luckily, our family doesn't really mingle with my brother's in-laws - hopefully we'll be OK. 

But I notice every single cough, pain, twinge... is my throat a little sore?  Is it chilly in here?

ugh.  What's going to run out first - my luck with Wordle, or Covid? :D

• Hugs 1

That's why I scheduled my booster for today.  All done with #4 now for both womaxx and myself.  Youngest son is making an appointment as well.  There was too much talk of covid being over or no longer dangerous while at the same time predictions are for 5400 deaths in the next two weeks and rising.  With some alarm one can note that the number of deaths among the vaccinated is growing.  As many as 40% of deaths are now vaccinated.

COVID-19 hospital admissions, deaths expected to keep climbing in the US amid resurgence - ABC News (go.com)

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

One thing to remember when tracking the number of cases is that actual cases may exceed the reported cases by a significant amount.  Many people are now doing at home testing and many positive results are likely not being reported.

True

We've got a similar graph in Maryland.

The number of daily cases per 100,000 population was 4.53 on March 24th and is 25.81 now.  Multiply those numbers by 60 to get the total: 272 in March, 1549 now!

Critical and Acute COVID hospital beds were 129 of April 13th and are 311 now.

Deaths have remained very low, about 3 per day in a 6,000,000 population. That's equivalent to a 165 national death rate, but the USA death rate is 542 per day. Maryland's death rate is low partly due to 92% of Marylanders 5 years old and above are vaccinated and 95% of 18 and up.  It doesn't prevent infection but it makes it more likely it will be mild.

Until March, almost all Marylanders wore masks and I've seen angry shoppers physically poking and chasing the rare, unmasked people out of stores.  But it's not a law now - though they're required in pharmacies and medical offices - and people are weary of masks.  A lot of us still wear masks in indoor public buildings, though we're in a minority.  But it won't be long before they're mandatory again.

Because so many don't wear the masks anymore, I ordered KN-95 masks for their extra protection.

The medical experts predict 100,000,000 Americans will catch COVID this Fall and Winter as immunity wanes.  I want to wait until September to get my 3rd booster shot - my last one was in October - so that my immunity will be higher through the Fall and Winter.  Supposedly, Moderna and Pfizer are expected to have new vaccines ready in the Fall that combine the original vaccine with one the fights Omicron.  If they do, I'll get one of those as well.