Nephew Ryan conditionally accepted for United Airlines pilot training program

MickinMD

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I didn't know flight attendant training was so expensive. ..6 months.  Wonder if that's the norm for all major passenger airlines. 

It will be interesting what cities  he ends up landing frequently..and his first overseas  foreign flight.

I believe he's already a flight attendant, this is for pilot training.

Congratulations to your nephew.  Sounds like exciting times.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

I believe he's already a flight attendant, this is for pilot training.

Congratulations to your nephew.  Sounds like exciting times.

Waayy up front of the airplane! Congratulations

A bit presumptious of your sister to ask/tell you to pay for stuff. 

I thought the new pilots start out on the JV airlines??? The commuter airlines at low pay & wait for the call to the "Bigs". 

4 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I didn't know flight attendant training was so expensive. ..6 months.  Wonder if that's the norm for all major passenger airlines. 

It will be interesting what cities  he ends up landing frequently..and his first overseas  foreign flight.

PILOT training, not flight attendant training!  He's already gone to flight attendant school for Mesa Airlines and it didn't cost anything.

There's a shortage of pilots, exacerbated by the government tremendously increasing the number of flight hours a pilot has to fly a large passenger jet.

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

There's a shortage of pilots, exacerbated by the government tremendously increasing the number of flight hours a pilot has to fly a large passenger jet.

They had to.  Normal progression was a few years as an instructor, a few years in a commuter airline then second officer for a major for 5-8 years followed by 5-8 years as a first officer before finally getting a Captains seat.  If the industry was flooded with zero experience and promotions based solely on seniority, the skies would be a very unfriendly place.   Ryan is doing a cadet program where the airline trains for a specific function.  Good for him and good for United as it fills an empty seat.  Most senior pilots disagree with cadet programs but demand is high and applicants are low.  Is it United or a United feeder?  Is there a job guarantee?  Cadet programs typically have a high wash out rate as well so check the details of the agreement.  

• Heart 2