Sounds My Grandkids Will Never Know

team scooter

I went from my Subie with the 3.6 boxer engine to my Mazda with the 2.5 turbo.  They both put out similar HP, the Mazda has more torque but the Subie had that rumble when you got on it that the Mazda just doesn’t have.  I live my new car but I kinda miss hearing the engine when I accelerate. 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I went from my Subie with the 3.6 boxer engine to my Mazda with the 2.5 turbo.  They both put out similar HP, the Mazda has more torque but the Subie had that rumble when you got on it that the Mazda just doesn’t have.  I live my new car but I kinda miss hearing the engine when I accelerate. 

Cut off the muffler then. All the cool kids are doing it. Thankfully my son has outgrown that phase. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I was just noticing that Teslas make enough tire noise so that they don’t sound that different then modern cars with quiet engines.  At least above parking lot speeds. 

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah the boxers have their own sound. Mazda's torque comes from the Skyactivs shared diesel research DNA. I don't have any experience with different exhausts on the 2.5s, but after researching exhausts for our 2.0 Miata, I was able to find an exhaust that gave it an angry growl that didn't sound like a tuner car. On my CX 9, I cant even hear the turbo spool. But I sure can tell I've got one. :nodhead:

Have you played with the sport mode on the trans? Its a hoot on a curvy road. :nodhead:

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, team scooter said:

Yeah the boxers have their own sound. Mazda's torque comes from the Skyactivs shared diesel research DNA. I don't have any experience with different exhausts on the 2.5s, but after researching exhausts for our 2.0 Miata, I was able to find an exhaust that gave it an angry growl that didn't sound like a tuner car. On my CX 9, I cant even hear the turbo spool. But I sure can tell I've got one. :nodhead:

Have you played with the sport mode on the trans? Its a hoot on a curvy road. :nodhead:

I have and it sure is! I really liked the CX9 too, I test drove two of them and  the extra room would have been handy loading bikes but I just liked the the way that 2.5 turbo makes the CX 5 go.  The engine is robust for that car.

• Awesome 1

My CX5 still has the SkyActive 2.0. Not quite the grunt of the 2.5, but still a solid engine if you keep it on the cam. I tend to drive with the auto shifter in the manual position a lot. It takes to a curvy road better than an SUV has a right to!

It seems too many people don’t know a good exhaust note any more. They all want loud and flatulent regardless of engine type!  I prefer a rumble or growl that tells you they can back up the noise with performance.
My brother’s 1972 Capri had the best 4 cylinder engine note I’ve ever heard. Favorite V6? My 73 Capri with the exhaust going through the resonators only, the Mazda/Ford MX6/Probe, GM v6 in general. A lot I don’t like about them, but their performance looking cars with V6 always seem to have a nice note. V8 goes to the 2010ish Mustang that used to drive by my old work. Pretty sure it had an X-pipe but not sure what else. 
Special attaboy to F1 cars of the early 2000s. The V10s were turning close to 20,000 rpm! It was a sound that, in person, took a while to associate with the car as it went by. Hard to explain unless you experienced it!

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I have and it sure is! I really liked the CX9 too, I test drove two of them and  the extra room would have been handy loading bikes but I just liked the the way that 2.5 turbo makes the CX 5 go.  The engine is robust for that car.

Mrs really wanted a red CX 5, but I needed the 9's extra weight and GVW (same as my 3/4 ton Dakota) for towing the snowmo trailer. Mrs still might get her CX 5, but I'm pushing for a turbo CX 30 instead. The 5 isn't much smaller than the 9, and (to me) it doesn't make much sense to have two midsize-ish SUVs in the garage. And with the gas prices now.... :frantics: 

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, team scooter said:

Mrs really wanted a red CX 5, but I needed the 9's extra weight and GVW (same as my 3/4 ton Dakota) for towing the snowmo trailer. Mrs still might get her CX 5, but I'm pushing for a turbo CX 30 instead. The 5 isn't much smaller than the 9, and (to me) it doesn't make much sense to have two midsize-ish SUVs in the garage. And with the gas prices now.... :frantics: 

Do you run regular gas or 91?  I have been running 91 for the zoom zoom.  

I plan to put a hitch on mine so I can attach my hitch rack I kept after I sold the Jeep. My Ritchey fits perfectly in the back but the Anthem I have to lower the seat (dropper post) & move the passenger seat all the way up to get it in the back. 

Oh and the Mazda 3 with the 2.5 turbo is a Subie killer!  Many reviews show it outperforms the WRX.  I wanted something bigger but man that engine in a 3/CX30 would be bad ass!

• Heart 2

16 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I plan to put a hitch on mine so I can attach my hitch rack I kept after I sold the Jeep. My Ritchey fits perfectly in the back but the Anthem I have to lower the seat (dropper post) & move the passenger seat all the way up to get it in the back. 

We run ethanol free premium in the 9 and Miata. Mrs is working from home, and I drive our old Mazda 3 to work. If we were putting huge miles, we might use regular instead to save money. Sometimes Mrs forgets and puts in regular and I'll call her on it after I drive it. She'll deny it until we check the receipts. "How did you know?" "Because someone stole 35 HP.":D

Its nice that Mazda offers you the option of either grade. 

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Oh and the Mazda 3 with the 2.5 turbo is a Subie killer!  Many reviews show it outperforms the WRX.  I wanted something bigger but man that engine in a 3/CX30 would be bad ass!

I used E-trailer for the hitch on my CX 5. Easy to install yourself. https://www.etrailer.com/

• Thank You 1

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I live my new car but I kinda miss hearing the engine when I accelerate. 

My car is a 6 cylinder and has an amazing sounding exhaust.  If that is not enough, BMW pipes it in through the sound system too.  I have never detected it, but it's there and cannot be turned off, unless you mess with the coding.

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

My car is a 6 cylinder and has an amazing sounding exhaust.  If that is not enough, BMW pipes it in through the sound system too.  I have never detected it, but it's there and cannot be turned off, unless you mess with the coding.

You know what I really miss is the police package Chevy Caprice from the late 80’s with the 350 engine.  Now that thing would roar when you got on it. 

I haven’t watched Cops in ages but back in the day when they would respond to a call and the sound of the engine coming over the mics would give me the chills. 

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

You know what I really miss is the police package Chevy Caprice from the late 80’s with the 350 engine.  Now that thing would roar when you got on it. 

I haven’t watched Cops in ages but back in the day when they would respond to a call and the sound of the engine coming over the mics would give me the chills. 

Very few non-performance cars out there with a V8.  I heard Mercedes decided to stop.  Oddly, my engine can be tuned to get around 600hp.  If I come into money someday, I'll get a BMW V8.  Stock is 600+ HP.  BMW has a strange history of underreporting their engines hp.

• Heart 2

25 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Speaking of 4 barrels and police car sound....

Something aboot driving down Lake Street under the El at 120 per. "Its got a 440 inch plant, runs good on regular gas...."

• Awesome 1