I haven’t filled my truck up in months

Parr8hed

Price has risen so much. It usually cuts me off at 100 bucks or so. I keep telling myself that I’m gonna start filling it up at 1/2 tank but I just never find the time. 

I have some sort of mental block where it kinda bothers me to drive away from the pump with only 3/4 of a tank. But it doesn’t bother me enough to put my card back in and go through the process again to fill it up. 

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

Price has risen so much. It usually cuts me off at 100 bucks or so. I keep telling myself that I’m gonna start filling it up at 1/2 tank but I just never find the time. 

I have some sort of mental block where it kinda bothers me to drive away from the pump with only 3/4 of a tank. But it doesn’t bother me enough to put my card back in and go through the process again to fill it up. 

It costs me $100 to fill my Rav4.   This $6 per gallon stuff is crap!  I read it may be the new norm as well. 

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

I get nervous at about half a tank so always refill then. You should do that too

I really should. But at a half tank I still have like 17 gallons of fuel. That could easily last me a week depending on where we play softball and where I’m working that week. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

It costs me $100 to fill my Rav4.   This $6 per gallon stuff is crap!  I read it may be the new norm as well. 

I’m just staring at my  f350 with the 36 gallon diesel tank that will need to be filled for next weekend’s softball tourney. Can I borrow some money?

• Sad 1

Just now, JerrySTL said:

I didn't know that there was a top limit. I do know that some pumps need you to have at least $100 in your account if you use a debit card. Using a debit card is a bad idea anyway at gas pumps.

Yea. A lot of pumps top out at 100. Some are 125. Lately it seems like the limit is lower. Like 80 bucks. I guess they’ve changed it with the price going up?  Maybe more people driving off?  I don’t know. Doesn’t make sense. 

13 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Yea. A lot of pumps top out at 100. Some are 125. Lately it seems like the limit is lower. Like 80 bucks. I guess they’ve changed it with the price going up?  Maybe more people driving off?  I don’t know. Doesn’t make sense. 

The card we use for gas has a hundred dollar limit on purpose.

• Heart 1

That remind me, I have to go to Sam's early today (before the store opens) to fill up with gas. Was on my "to do" circuit when out yesterday but the line was so long that was actually blocking traffic in the street attempting to turn into Sams. Per gasbuddy, they and Costco (equal distance for me) are $4.24 where the general market, like Wawa is $4.49 for 87 octane...plus I get 5% on either Sams or Costco cards. I typically filled the Mini, recommended 91 octane minimum, with Costco/Sams only high test offering of 94 octane - cheaper than 91 everywhere else, but have been filling with 87 and really noting the mpg drop...now around 21 mpg city and recent all interstate driving was 26mpg...where with 94 octane was 25-31mpg. I may as well be driving a mid-size truck (or even a diesel 1500).

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

While it "only" cost me $50 to fill up...I have a 16 gallon tank. These gas prices are, and ironically Ukraine, are throwing a wrench into my car (and RV) shopping. I need to replace the now out of warranty Mini that I know has some work coming up. Last week I went with Ford X-Plan paperwork in hand to order an Escape Hybrid anticipating a 3-4 month delay but learned that Ford stopped taking orders on Escapes until July 15th and further tempted me as plans to re-open the Maverick August 15th. Decisions, decisions. While the Maverick Hybrid can't tow anything, it does have the utility of a truck, $5000 cheaper fully equipped than similar equipped Escape as they are built on the same chassis. Both hybrid versions are 4 down towable behind an RV where other engine/transmission versions are not. Problem is, some parts critical to the hybrid build come from Ukraine, delaying builds - but not order taking -  even  further. 44MPG would be great as a daily driver and the gas mileage of a Transit or Sprinter based Class C would be about the same as towing mileage (12-14mpg) behind a truck midsize truck or diesel 1500.

That also creates a Delima as I did the math. Looking at actual fuel history average on fuelly (high point of bell curve) I can get the same 22 mpg on a Canyon/Colorado/Ranger as I am getting with the Mini, and adjusting for the diesel price premium a Chevy/Ram 1500 3.0L diesel. While the Class C Transit/Sprinter RV's run $120-180K on top of $35K for the Escape/Maverick, it is not lost that I can get the midsize or diesel 1500 and up to a 23' trailer (max I would tow with midsize truck) combination for $100K or less. What really blew me away was that I could actually get a HD 2500 truck (gas and adjusted diesel 25% differential are same fuel costs) AND a 28-32' fifth wheel cheaper than some 
Class C RV's ...but don't want 13mpg as a daily driver. Then is the rationalization, since would mace two vehicles with engines (RV plus toad) may as well have a HD truck/5th wheel and the efficient daily driver, that just wouldn't have on trips and have a truck for local utilty (Home Depot runs). 

• Hugs 1

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I filled up yesterday at $4.03 a gallon with my discount...I had about 1/8 of a gallon left..  :wacko:

too close for my comfort 

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

I go the extra mile and fill my truck, as the fuel gauge does not work.

That would leave me in a constant panic

• Heart 1

I haven't ran into a $100 limit. (yet)

I always fill the tank.

We use a Prius more often now.    $34.96  for 8.075 gallons at  $4.329 pre gallon.  53.1 mpg   429 miles

The Subaru    $46.40 for 10.383 gallons at $4.469 per gallon   23 mpg    239 miles

Yeah we use the Prius more often now.

I was on empty this morning when I put in $10 worth.  I’ll get it cheaper tomorrow.  I haven’t filled a tank in a few years and I never buy gas with more than a 1/8 of a tank. I pass a dozen stations on every commute.  GasBuddy is my friend. 

10 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

One reason the 2013 Honda Fit has so much cargo room (57.3 cu.ft. compared to upper 30's for most small crossovers) is that they hid the gas tank under the front seats but it only holds 10.6 gallons.

It gets around 30 mpg on avg. so I fill it up about every 200 miles or so.  The good news is that I only have to pump about 7.5 gallons each time.

The CX5 gets filled around 3/8 tank. A round trip to work is around 1/4 tank. One day I forgot to fill when I left Chandler (gas is 20 cents higher in Maricopa for same brands). I figured I had enough gas to get back into the city. I was almost to the office when I realized I left my wallet at home. I finally bit the bullet and downloaded the Shell app. It’s about the same price as buying in Maricopa, but at least I could pay by phone. 
Last week traffic to Maricopa was badly backed up. I decided to go to Casa Grande which adds about 20 miles to my drive but probably saved me 30 minutes that day. At that point gas was $4.79 in Maricopa, $4.59 in Tempe, $4.40 at Sam’s. When I got to Casa Grande, gas was $4.23! I filled up and basically paid for the detour! CX5 is getting 26-28 mpg even with commute traffic! I won’t complain too loud. 

23 hours ago, Tizeye said:

While it "only" cost me $50 to fill up...I have a 16 gallon tank. These gas prices are, and ironically Ukraine, are throwing a wrench into my car (and RV) shopping. I need to replace the now out of warranty Mini that I know has some work coming up. Last week I went with Ford X-Plan paperwork in hand to order an Escape Hybrid anticipating a 3-4 month delay but learned that Ford stopped taking orders on Escapes until July 15th and further tempted me as plans to re-open the Maverick August 15th. Decisions, decisions. While the Maverick Hybrid can't tow anything, it does have the utility of a truck, $5000 cheaper fully equipped than similar equipped Escape as they are built on the same chassis. Both hybrid versions are 4 down towable behind an RV where other engine/transmission versions are not. Problem is, some parts critical to the hybrid build come from Ukraine, delaying builds - but not order taking -  even  further. 44MPG would be great as a daily driver and the gas mileage of a Transit or Sprinter based Class C would be about the same as towing mileage (12-14mpg) behind a truck midsize truck or diesel 1500.

That also creates a Delima as I did the math. Looking at actual fuel history average on fuelly (high point of bell curve) I can get the same 22 mpg on a Canyon/Colorado/Ranger as I am getting with the Mini, and adjusting for the diesel price premium a Chevy/Ram 1500 3.0L diesel. While the Class C Transit/Sprinter RV's run $120-180K on top of $35K for the Escape/Maverick, it is not lost that I can get the midsize or diesel 1500 and up to a 23' trailer (max I would tow with midsize truck) combination for $100K or less. What really blew me away was that I could actually get a HD 2500 truck (gas and adjusted diesel 25% differential are same fuel costs) AND a 28-32' fifth wheel cheaper than some 
Class C RV's ...but don't want 13mpg as a daily driver. Then is the rationalization, since would mace two vehicles with engines (RV plus toad) may as well have a HD truck/5th wheel and the efficient daily driver, that just wouldn't have on trips and have a truck for local utilty (Home Depot runs). 

I'm in the market for a newer motorhome and debating between gas or diesel. 

I like the Ford V10 for pulling but have no experience pulling a trailer behind a class C diesel. Does the better fuel mileage get wiped out by the higher fuel costs?

15 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I like the Ford V10 for pulling but have no experience pulling a trailer behind a class C diesel. Does the better fuel mileage get wiped out by the higher fuel costs?

I really think it's a wash.  That V10 is amazing, but as you know it's a fuel sucker.  I like the super C diesels.  But you had better bring your checkbook for one of those.  But that is probably what I would be looking at if I knew that I was gonna pull  a trailer.  You could get as big of a trailer as you wanted with a super C.  

What Are The Pros & Cons Of Super C RVs?

• Heart 2

32 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Do You Need A CDL To Drive A Super C RV?

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Home | KB Trailers | Cleveland, OH | Custom Race Trailers

Get you a nice big mobile workshop.  That's the ticket!

• Heart 2

14 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

You could get as big of a trailer as you wanted with a super C

You know your self that the bigger you go the less options you have of just pulling in a place. If we go bigger the less Wo46 wants to drive it.

1 minute ago, BR46 said:

You know your self that the bigger you go the less options you have of just pulling in a place. If we go bigger the less Wo46 wants to drive it.

She might get behind the wheel of that big freightliner and never let you touch the wheel again!

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Kirby said:

At half a tank I feel like I'm out of gas!

You & @Airehead are like my mom. She’d get nervous she’d run out of gas going to the LGS with 1/2 a tank so my brother & I always had to keep her car topped up.  WOChrisL will drive her car until the miles to empty indicator is flashing zero’s!  That’s too close for my comfort but she has never run out of gas.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

Home | KB Trailers | Cleveland, OH | Custom Race Trailers

Get you a nice big mobile workshop.  That's the ticket!

It's fun to watch guy with the Super C with trailer like this pull into the pits and if the pit spaces are small it can be entertaining. 

If they get in late and the other pits are setup around them I've seen where they had to beg another team to tear down just so they can back in.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

It's fun to watch guy with the Super C with trailer like this pull into the pits and if the pit spaces are small it can be entertaining. 

If they get in late and the other pits are setup around them I've seen where they had to beg another team to tear down just so they can back in.

Lol, sounds like snowmobilers in a motel parking lot. The guys with the huge trailers kind of park wherever its easyist for them, not so much for everyone else. Then they'll run the cords for their engine block heaters across the driveway so we need to lift them over our heads and sleds as we make our way out to the trail. 

• Hugs 1

8 hours ago, BR46 said:

While the C+ Diesel are nice, suspect you are talking about the regular C, and for highest GCVWR, the E450 chassis, over the E350. Those are only gas. While Parr8head noted the C+ with a Freightliner chassis, some are made with the Ford E550 and the Powerstroke Diesel. While trailers have been pulled with the regular Class C, it is not the norm and few reports. Most of the time it is a TOAD and even in the 5000+ lb range, like the Jeep Grand Cherokee and some 4WD 1500's, people are noting a 2 to 3 mpg hit when towing. Wouldn't suspect a trailer with similar weight would be any different, if for no other reason than the frontal area resistance (brick down the highway) is established by the Class C, and the trailer envelopes behind. Contrast that with a truck pulling a trailer, the frontal area is extablished by the trailer tower over the truck and typically has a 50% hit on towing vs daily driving, with the exception of the 2500 (or higher) with the 6.7L diesel, thanks to it's torque at low RPM, experiences more like a 10-20% hit. While understand the 6.2L V10, and probbably the only choice for used until a couple years back, don't rule out the 7.3L V8 "Godzilla" that is replacing the V10. Proving itself well both in current Class C and the longer history in F series trucks. The V10 screams at high RPM, where the V8 is notably quieter, developing it power at lower RPM's. Also has a positive impact on MPG but 8mpg vs 10mpg is nothing to brag about. Finally, it's footprint takes up less room in the doghouse with the passenger in particular gaining more legroom and both have more egress room to transition to the back.

Diesel vs gas is in a weird situation now, as typically there has been a 15% differential between unleaded and diesel. Today - since fuel price increases overall, it has spread to the 25-30% range. I developed a spreadsheet to calculate the "equivalent" cost and it is basically a wash but may lean towards gas. The 2500 with the  gas 6.2L (GM 6.6 and Ram 6.4) average 12-13 MPG where the diesel versions average 15-16. Applying the 15% and 25% differential to the 15MPG it is 12.75 and 11.25 respectively, so the 13MPG gas is the better return - but it is close at the normal 15%. At any rate, the premium charge for the diesel will typically be retained in the tradein/used market and potentially increase due to demand.

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

I developed a spreadsheet to calculate the "equivalent" cost and it is basically a wash but may lean towards gas.

At any rate, the premium charge for the diesel will typically be retained in the tradein/used market and potentially increase due to demand.

The short version^^^

;)

• Haha 1

Looking at all the specs of the 2019 and newer gas motorhomes hp and torque we will end up going with gas. With fuel prices going up a lot of people are dumping their 2 year old motorhomes with less than 10,000 miles.