Are you a spender or a saver?

Square Wheels

Both really.  I probably spend too much on convenience things, including takeout and clothes, but I also tried to do some automated saving at work as well.  I have to keep it out of my hands first to avoid the temptation.  But it was easier because I didn't have kids.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Are you a spender or a saver?

Saver

When my old digital watch died...  you have no idea how difficult it was for me to buy the Garmin Fenix 6 watch.   It's not that I could not afford the watch... I just had to find a way to justify spending more that $100 on any watch for myself.    I got over it...  It is a nice watch. 

• Heart 3

I have 3 401ks from my various employers and a Roth IRA. WoW has her 2 401ks. We both have some pension from a former employer that will kick in at 65. I’m fine not touching them until it’s time. 
That said, I am probably more of a spender than WoW. BUT! I prefer to buy quality so I don’t have to buy again for a while. Nowadays we are pretty well set on what we need. I still like to browse, but I don’t buy much anymore. 

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, BR46 said:

Saved all my life but now I'm a spender 

Same. Until WoScrapr passed I was a saver ....until someday after retirement. Now I'm spending our kids inheritance. Fly business class or your kids will

Lining up a trip to Paris-Ireland for September now

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

I'm definitely saving.  But I'm also not penny pinching.  I keep thinking I should but then I may not even make retirement so it's more saving but it's trying to live a full life too.  I should be saving more but I'm always doing the "life is short" game.  I know my mom waited her whole life to retire and then died 6 months later after she did.  I will never forget that.  But then it concerns me that I won't have enough when I go out.  Meh.  Life.

• Heart 1

Wo46 is the hard core saver and will buy cheap even when you shouldn't buy cheap. 

I'm liked to save but also liked to live life. We made sure that we always put something out of every paycheck away for retirement. 

I had no saving program until I bought a house in 1991 that needed a lot of work in a nice neighborhood. After sanding/epoxying the hardwood floors, replacing the inside and outside doors, etc., I found I was out of money.

What I stumbled on changed my life: automatic monthly investments in stock DRIP's and mutual funds.

In both a Roth IRA and regular accounts, I set up several hundred in automatic monthly investments.  I began keeping a budget and, when my bank account began growing faster than I needed, I ratcheted-up the total amount of automatic investments.

After a while, I began to think of those investments as if they were bills I had to pay and adjusted my spending down accordingly. I found ways to get a bigger bang-for-the-buck and spend less for the same things.

When bad legs (now healed!) led me to retire fifteen years later in 2006, my mortgage was pair-off and the liquid-assets nest egg I had built plus a small teacher's pension with health insurance made retirement possible.  Things were very tight for 6 years but I knew that once I took Social Security, I'd have more income than expenses.

17 hours ago, Kirby said:

Both really.  I probably spend too much on convenience things, including takeout, but I also tried to do some automated saving at work as well.  I have to keep it out of my hands first to avoid the temptation.

This is me. I max out my retirement savings and then save even more after tax money, automatically. But I can also work more whenever I need to fund a big purchase, so I do that, too.

In my younger days (both childhood and young adulthood) I was mostly a spender.  After college graduation with my first full time career job, the influx of cash just increased the spending, including one very ill-advised vehicle purchase...  however, I did start contributing to a 401K pretty early on.

Once I got married I became a "reluctant" saver, but now I'm on board; I don't spend a lot of money on myself, and my 401K/IRAs are doing OK.  And  the things I do spend money on are well-researched beforehand.  (like that Stratocaster I talked about a few months ago - I still haven't pulled the trigger, because I'm at the point where I feel guilty spending that much money on myself... thought part of that is, I might wish I had that money to buy government flour after society collapses)

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Gump said:

Saver fir the most part. If there is something larger I want to purchase I will save up and then buy it.  

This is the way to do it. I have gotten to the point where I hate credit. But sometimes— like buying a small security system— I’ll put it on credit and try to pay it off in a month or two.