Thanks to School House Rock

jsharr

I can recite the Preamble to the Constitution.

We the People of the United States of America, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish the constitution for the United States of America.

This will be my Scoutmasters minute tonight prior to the Scouts in our Troop electing their new leaders for next year.  I find it fitting that they understand that this may be the first time in their lives that they get to join in the democratic process of self governance and enourage them to keep it up after they leave Scouting.

May also borrow a bit from Mr. Lincoln about government of the people, by the people and for the people.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

20 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I know how a bill becomes a law and the purpose of conjunctions. - hooking up words and phrases and clauses!

Do you think the clauses had to be hooked up or did they just gravitate into the situation what with the very low population at the north pole.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Do you think the clauses had to be hooked up or did they just gravitate into the situation what with the very low population at the north pole.

Okay, that one snuck up on me.....  I had to watch the video and saw no mention of the North Pole and then the dim bulb in my head slowly lit up.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Conjunctions is my favorite 

Mine too, although every time I take a train, I feel compelled to hum "took a train, took a train , took a train to another state"

And every so often when someone in my family goes on a trip and we ask them how the trip was, they'll say "the flora and the fauna that I saw were really great".  I once said that to someone at work without thinking and naturally they looked at e sort of quizzically (I got that at the adverb store).

• Heart 2

16 hours ago, jsharr said:

I can recite the Preamble to the Constitution.

We the People of the United States of America, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish the constitution for the United States of America.

This will be my Scoutmasters minute tonight prior to the Scouts in our Troop electing their new leaders for next year.  I find it fitting that they understand that this may be the first time in their lives that they get to join in the democratic process of self governance and enourage them to keep it up after they leave Scouting.

May also borrow a bit from Mr. Lincoln about government of the people, by the people and for the people.

In my 60's, I stood in the Gettysburg Cemetery near where Lincoln's platform was during the Gettysburg Address and recited the whole thing to my then-about-8 year old nephew, Adam.

He asked, "Did you just learn that because we were driving up to Gettysburg?"

I answered, "No, I memorized it in high school - and it left such an impression on me that I still remember it."

He was impressed, which is saying a lot since, on the state's functional tests, he's in the top 0.1% in math, top 1% in English, and top 2% in Social Studies.

• Heart 1

So I think my Scoutmasters minute went well.  I gave it near the start of the meeting before the Scouts got to vote.  I began by asking how many had voted to elect their own leader before.  The older scouts all raised a hand.  I asked how many would be the first time to vote to elect their leader and all the younger Scouts raised their hand.  

I then recited the Preamble and spoke about how I hoped this would be the first time they got to think about who they wanted to lead them, to make sure they felt the candidates moral values aligned with theirs, etc. and hoped that this was the start of them being involved in the democratic process.

The election went very smooth and all the Scouts seemed to pay attention to the candidates speeches and take the voting process seriously.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1