Lightning bug update

Allen

How exciting! Your property sounds like such a peaceful, diverse sanctuary for the lightning bugs.  I'm so glad there is someone there who appreciates the value of this display and is dedicated to protecting their environment.

• Heart 3
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, Allen said:

The Loopy 5s, world’s rarest lightning bug, are displaying in the swamp starting last night!

The synchronized verity are not yet out but are due any day now . 

I miss large displays of them.  In the 50's and 60's, lightning bugs almost lit up the entire back yards in my neighborhood.  Now a single one is a rarity - and it's the same backyards!

19 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I miss large displays of them.  In the 50's and 60's, lightning bugs almost lit up the entire back yards in my neighborhood.  Now a single one is a rarity - and it's the same backyards!

What’s the story? Pesticides? Pollution? 

Have one coming out tomorrow night too. 

Gonna be walking a city boy down a fallen pine tree, crossing  over thigh deep mud, in a Georgia swamp, at night, and back. 

I will be wearing jeans and my new old man slippers, ‘spect he is going to be in waders. Pretty confident I’m coming back dry. Not so sure he is coming back still in possession of both boots. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Airehead said:

We are very excited. 

The entomologist that is coming out on Monday is giving a talk in Athen the night you arrive. We’ll have  the nerd version of backstage passes if y’all would like to attend. 

He’s from here: https://xerces.org/endangered-species/species-profiles/at-risk-beetles/loopy-five-firefly

“This firefly has been documented at only three sites—in southern Tennessee, northwest South Carolina, and northern Georgia.”

The northern Georgia one is Springwood. 

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

That’s very cool! I will miss ours. They usually peak in early to mid July. We had a lot in our yard but it was nothing compared to my parents’ place in the country. 
I remember the year my brother from Chicago was back for July 4th with his family. They couldn’t do fireworks at their home and my nephews were the right age to enjoy lighting them. So we did fireworks at my parents. Nothing extravagant, but they had fun. Apparently the lightning bugs took the fireworks as a challenge. They absolutely lit up the farm yard in one of the best shows I’ve ever seen!

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/18/2022 at 10:22 PM, Allen said:

The entomologist that is coming out on Monday is giving a talk in Athen the night you arrive. We’ll have  the nerd version of backstage passes if y’all would like to attend. 

He’s from here: https://xerces.org/endangered-species/species-profiles/at-risk-beetles/loopy-five-firefly

Yes, a unique opportunity. I am not bringing waders. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Allen said:

Update:  

Fid not collect a Loopy larva. Found something else, not sure what it could be. May raise one up to find out. 

Monday we will be setting up multiple GoPros to capture the display in bullet time 3D. That’s going to be cool AF!

Cool AF!

On 5/18/2022 at 10:36 PM, Allen said:

The entomologist that is coming out on Monday is giving a talk in Athen the night you arrive. We’ll have  the nerd version of backstage passes if y’all would like to attend. 

“This firefly has been documented at only three sites—in southern Tennessee, northwest South Carolina, and northern Georgia.”

The northern Georgia one is Springwood. 

That is really exciting.  I knew about the synchronous fireflies but I didn't realize about this endangered species.  That makes me even happier that they have Springwood as a sanctuary.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

15 minutes ago, Kirby said:

That is really exciting.  I knew about the synchronous fireflies but I didn't realize about this endangered species.  That makes me even happier that they have Springwood as a sanctuary.

I have at least 9 different verities. The synchronized verity is uncommon. But the Loopy 5s are only found it two other locations. 

I was reading the info from the Xerces Society.  I'm so sad that I wasn't able to get away for a visit this year, but really hope to come next (if we're invited again. :) )  The whole experience sounds exciting and amazingly peaceful at the same time.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

On 5/20/2022 at 2:58 PM, Kirby said:

I was reading the info from the Xerces Society.  I'm so sad that I wasn't able to get away for a visit this year, but really hope to come next (if we're invited again. :) )  The whole experience sounds exciting and amazingly peaceful at the same time.

Allen's a gem too.  I want to get there.

• Heart 2

I screwed up big time last night. I allowed the entomologist that has been staying with me to go to the nearby state park without me. He was checking it for more populations and found them. 

I went and checked some places nearby and struck out. Should have gone with him. 

• Heart 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

4 minutes ago, Allen said:

I screwed up big time last night. I allowed the entomologist that has been staying with me to go to the nearby state park without me. He was checking it for more populations and found them. 

I went and checked some places nearby and struck out. Should have gone with him. 

More populations of the same guys you have, or different guys?  

8 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Has the scientist described what makes your home location so ideal for these rare lit creatures?

I’m not sure. I would guess because my woods are virgin, but the lightning bugs are mostly on areas that have been farmed or otherwise modified. 

• Heart 1