Do ants sleep?

donkpow
Go to solution Solved by jsharr,

• Solution

YES, THEY DO - but not in the sense we understand sleep. Research conducted by James and Cottell into sleep patterns of insects (1983) showed that ants have a cyclical pattern of resting periods which each nest as a group observes, lasting around eight minutes in any 12-hour period.

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Ants eat, sleep, drink beer, and ride motorcycles. Where do you think the old phrase “If brains were gas, he wouldn’t have enough to start a piss ant’s motorcycle” came from?

There is a local motorcycle club called the Ant Hill Mob

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

They must sleepwalk, too because I've been occasionally finding, about once a week, one ant in my kitchen, one ant in my living room, one ant in my bathroom, etc.: no long lines of ants headed to nearby food, etc. like the piece of onion that fell on the floor but I didn't notice it until I moved the trashcan.

24 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

They must sleepwalk, too because I've been occasionally finding, about once a week, one ant in my kitchen, one ant in my living room, one ant in my bathroom, etc.: no long lines of ants headed to nearby food, etc. like the piece of onion that fell on the floor but I didn't notice it until I moved the trashcan.

Probably just looking for their pillows.

• Heart 2