Gravel Time :)

Razors Edge

4 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

no thanks

It is NICE.  I'm not sure if they are regularly smoothing it or not, but it rode really nice.

They've been doing line work to bring in a crap-ton more electricity for all the data centers along the power lines, so as part of that, they (the utilities I assume) brought in a ton of gravel for that horse trail, and added some cut-ins so they can work above the paved trail and still have it with a reasonable detour.  Not always the case, but it worked well last night.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

It is NICE.  I'm not sure if they are regularly smoothing it or not, but it rode really nice.

They've been doing line work to bring in a crap-ton more electricity for all the data centers along the power lines, so as part of that, they (the utilities I assume) brought in a ton of gravel for that horse trail, and added some cut-ins so they can work above the paved trail and still have it with a reasonable detour.  Not always the case, but it worked well last night.

• I have 28mm tires - too narrow for my liking
  • I like my paint
  • Seems like a great way to have a tire slide out and crash
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:
  • I like my paint

Yeah - I crashed hard when my front tire slid out on gravel on 25mm tires! :frantics:

Of course, that crash was on pavement while riding my road bike on a stretch I had ridden hundreds of time, but it was on thinner tires and gravel. :D

The paint held up despite a few blood splatters that needed to be washed off. :happyanim:

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Square Wheels said:
  • I like my paint

But gravel also offers an opportunity for a new bike with wider tires & more grip!  😁

Ride what makes you happy but I have been mixing in road with sections of dirt and am having fun doing so.

• Awesome 1

11 hours ago, ChrisL said:

But gravel also offers an opportunity for a new bike with wider tires & more grip!  😁

Ride what makes you happy but I have been mixing in road with sections of dirt and am having fun doing so.

Yep - that's exactly the reason for "gravel" - riding for fun! I've done a 50/50 gravel/road ride on my Roubaix with 28mm tires fitted. There wasn't a lot of area where a wheel would wash out, but it was bumpy on that set-up.  Similar 100 miles with a probably a 60/40 gravel/road mix on the Diverge with 38mm tires was less abusive and could "push" it more in the gravel and dirt areas.

A gravel/dirt specific bike would be great for SW or others, but definitely can roll on most surfaces on a road bike with 25, 28 or wider tires.  It's just bike riding :) and folks have been doing crazy stuff on mixed surfaces using road bikes for many many decades.

I do agree his paint job is pretty enough that he shouldn't risk it if he is worried. Many gravel bikes have bits that are on the frame in specific places to "protect" - whether a plastic part on the chain stays & downtube or a plastic film.   You can buy that film and apply for paint protection.

54 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I have never seen gravel roads around here, actually I've never seen one.

Looks like you'd have to head south to Lincoln/Weston or east to Topsfield area for concentrated gravel options.  

Far west or more north looks like your best bets, though.

image.thumb.png.bae7dac8f8c89fb00c732b4fb65775a2.png

25 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Looks like you'd have to head south to Lincoln/Weston or east to Topsfield area for concentrated gravel options.  

Far west or more north looks like your best bets, though.

image.thumb.png.bae7dac8f8c89fb00c732b4fb65775a2.png

So, what you're proposing is to spend thousands on a new bike, then drive hours to find a gravel path?