Garmin Adding A Tail Light Camera

Razors Edge

Talking to my riding buddy - who has the regular Varia rear radar - we both are thinking this is a swing and a miss :(  It wins a lot because of the simple Garmin integration and the radar, but it really misses on the 1080 and lack of image stabilization.  Cameras should be 4k minimum these days - especially for video content creation AND for safety/security resolution in case of an accident. Not getting a clear image/video of evidence is nutso if it is simply swapping a better (still minuscule) camera into the Varia.  

23 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Talking to my riding buddy - who has the regular Varia rear radar - we both are thinking this is a swing and a miss :(  It wins a lot because of the simple Garmin integration and the radar, but it really misses on the 1080 and lack of image stabilization.  Cameras should be 4k minimum these days - especially for video content creation AND for safety/security resolution in case of an accident. Not getting a clear image/video of evidence is nutso if it is simply swapping a better (still minuscule) camera into the Varia.  

If / when my gen1 Varia dies, I'll get the one without the camera.

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

If / when my gen1 Varia dies, I'll get the one without the camera.

I'd love to see a side-by-side of the new Varia next to a GoPro.  I really feel like when the video above showed it next to the last gen Varia, this new one was huge.  Probably for a bigger battery for the blinking, radar, and video, but looking at some of the GoPros, I don't think the camera portion - at 4k and 5k resolutions - really takes up any extra room, so it is only about getting a battery in the Varia that can roll continuously for several hours.  Currently, a GoPro battery is only good for 1 hour, so even a "double" sized battery - which would seemingly fit in that new larger Varia - would only last 2 hours.  That is not nearly long enough.  Perhaps, like GoPro, though, they could easily make it take replaceable batteries, and a simple alert on the Garmin head unit to swap to a new battery would be feasible.