Three Day Heat Wave in the Baltimore - Washington Area. Ugh!

MickinMD

We've got 3 days in a row in the 90's forecast for today, Friday, through Sunday. It reached the mid-80's Thursday.

For the first time this year, I left all the windows open all night Thurs.-Fri. and the living room thermometer dropped from 81° to 76° - I normally keep it around 77° in the summer.  I have ultra-quiet, expensive, 5' wide Hunter ceiling fans with lights in every room thanks to State Farm and my contractor and they're great - a nice, silent breeze that makes the whole room feel cooler, and I'd rather use them than run the air conditioner.

The outside temp is forecast to be above 85° only from 1 pm - 7 pm today and 11 am - 5 pm on Sunday.  But Saturday it's from 10 am to 9 pm.  I haven't turned on the central air conditioning yet, but Saturday should be a good day to test it before the summer.

It was hot sitting in the shade and cutting wire fencing into some of the 12 5'-tall tomato cages I need. I hope to finish today. I'm glad I have a wide brimmed sun hat and some SPF 50 sunscreen.  I'll get started soon this morning - right after teenagers Matthew Broderick and Ally Sheedy save the world from nuclear destruction in "War Games" (1983) at 8:30 am.  Sheedy was 21 playing a 17 year-old in that film and turns 60 in June!  That makes me feel really old!

image.thumb.png.299af98867abe3b82a623d0b97c164a5.png image.png.cdcfd7445073eb6b28fe392fa0629946.png

Temps will be a little more moderate in the early part of next week... low 70s Tuesday-Wednesday.  I'm OK to let spring hang around a little longer.

Our basement is still chilly - the space heater, set at 66, is running now.  Hopefully this weekend is the end of that.

Everybody be safe out there in the heat this weekend.  I'm going to try to get my ride in early Saturday morning.  (I have to get out - I did not ride during the previous week, first week I missed all year.)

48 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

We've got 3 days in a row in the 90's forecast for today, Friday, through Sunday. It reached the mid-80's Thursday.

My Garmin is updating me on my "heat acclimation" lately.  Not sure if it is thinking 80o or aware the 90o days are coming?

On the "positive" side of things, the forecast has been revised for Saturday.

It is only going to be 95o on Saturday!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

But still a month away from the start of Summer!  Egad!  :o

Yeah, things start trending downward as soon as the days start getting shorter :(  Nothing worse than running into the dreaded "out of daylight" that starts to creep in as we move into fall and eventually the awful and dreaded winter :(

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Lows in the low 60’s, highs in the high 60’s and hazy/cloudy in my part of SoCal. May Gray has officially set in. It’s so damp right now I can hear water dripping off the roof onto our patio umbrella. 

Yep.  You people in SoCal have some terrible weather.  :rolleyes:

We’ve been over 100 for over a week. Only going to be in the 90s through Monday then back into 100s. We’re starting to feel the heat soak. Lows were in the low 60s when the hundreds began. Now it’s low 70s. We keep the house at 75 overnight to sleep and have been keeping it at 77 during the work day but bump it to 80 at 3 pm because they charge more for electricity from 3-8. We stopped opening window at night this week because it’s just not getting cool enough before we go to bed. 

We’ve been over 100 for over a week. Only going to be in the 90s through Monday then back into 100s. We’re starting to feel the heat soak. Lows were in the low 60s when the hundreds began. Now it’s low 70s. We keep the house at 75 overnight to sleep and have been keeping it at 77 during the work day but bump it to 80 at 3 pm because they charge more for electricity from 3-8. We stopped opening window at night this week because it’s just not getting cool enough before we go to bed. 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, groupw said:

We stopped opening window at night this week because it’s just not getting cool enough before we go to bed. 

We switched the AC on several days ago - not because of the heat, but because of the pollen.  Open windows + pollen season = a crap ton of dusting and vacuuming :(

We'll just leave it going through this hot spell.

6 minutes ago, groupw said:

We’ve been over 100 for over a week.

That, literally, is CRAZY.

29 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I’m not complaining by any means but our “worse” weather is May through early/mid July.  The marine layer socks in and it’s just cool & damp for a couple of months.  Where I live the sun usually doesn’t burn through until mid day if at all.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, groupw said:

Where do you live?

We are still tweaking hours at work. I’m planning to flip to morning workouts after Memorial weekend. I went for a ride at sunset last night. It was already down to 90. I can get in over 20 with bike lanes almost the entire way without traffic concerns once past commute time. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

@Mister Beanz, he’s using the good fans! :frantics:

I was VERY lucky to get an hones contractor.  He could have stuck me with cheaper stuff, correctly said that's all State Farm allowed, and I wouldn't have known any better.

In fact, I only had a cheap ceiling fan in the kitchen with a cheap light and one in the front bedroom without a light before the fire.  My sister said to me at one point, "See if it's too late to get a ceiling fain with a light in every first floor room.

I knew they'd already done most of the electrical wiring, but called the contractor's design expert Kristi, and asked her anyway. "I'm way ahead of you," she replied, every room, upstairs and 1st floor, is wired for a ceiling fan.  What kind do you want?"

My sister had gotten expensive, 5' Hunter fans at her house from Costco and said they were what I should get.  Kristi learned Costco was out of stock, but found almost identical and slightly better ones elsewhere with a variable dimmer for the light and several speeds for the fan.

The contractor worked it out so it was all paid for by State Farm.  There were some things the house had before the fire, like carpeting that I didn't want and that excess was used to get additional or upgraded things.

How he and my claimes adjuster (Case Manager) managed to get an extra $45,000, then about $20,000 more out of State Farm as the project progressed plus get me central air, big upgrades on items like superb Anderson windows with 3/4" of Argon between the double-panes, great storm doors, a 92% efficiency furnace, and some other things I didn't have before amazes me.  At first I thought it was because that was being counted against my furniture, clothing, etc. damage - which State Farm said was the case.  But then they changed their mind and gave me almost $60,000 for those items (10% to the claims adjuster - fair because he fought to get that money).  So I'm a happy camper.

• Awesome 1

4 hours ago, Road Runner said:

You guys don't know how bad it really is here.  Last BIG rain storm,  it must have rained for at least 15 minutes. 😲

On the other side of the card. Heatwave in the 80s and 90? 😆

30 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I was VERY lucky to get an hones contractor.  He could have stuck me with cheaper stuff, correctly said that's all State Farm allowed, and I wouldn't have known any better.

In fact, I only had a cheap ceiling fan in the kitchen with a cheap light and one in the front bedroom without a light before the fire.  My sister said to me at one point, "See if it's too late to get a ceiling fain with a light in every first floor room.

I knew they'd already done most of the electrical wiring, but called the contractor's design expert Kristi, and asked her anyway. "I'm way ahead of you," she replied, every room, upstairs and 1st floor, is wired for a ceiling fan.  What kind do you want?"

My sister had gotten expensive, 5' Hunter fans at her house from Costco and said they were what I should get.  Kristi learned Costco was out of stock, but found almost identical and slightly better ones elsewhere with a variable dimmer for the light and several speeds for the fan.

The contractor worked it out so it was all paid for by State Farm.  There were some things the house had before the fire, like carpeting that I didn't want and that excess was used to get additional or upgraded things.

How he and my claimes adjuster (Case Manager) managed to get an extra $45,000, then about $20,000 more out of State Farm as the project progressed plus get me central air, big upgrades on items like superb Anderson windows with 3/4" of Argon between the double-panes, great storm doors, a 92% efficiency furnace, and some other things I didn't have before amazes me.  At first I thought it was because that was being counted against my furniture, clothing, etc. damage - which State Farm said was the case.  But then they changed their mind and gave me almost $60,000 for those items (10% to the claims adjuster - fair because he fought to get that money).  So I'm a happy camper.

With the remodel we put a ceiling fan in our room and it’s a game changer.  It’s directly over our bed and with the windows/slider open we hadn't had to run AC last summer at all.  

In hindsight we should have had them put in all of the bedrooms but we can always add them. 

Just now, MoseySusan said:

If I can replace a dated ceiling fan and light with an updated model, anyone can install these. 

Yep - like replacing an existing garbage disposal or the like.  Once the "hard" work is done, usually swapping for newer is easy peasy.  

Just now, MoseySusan said:

If I can replace a dated ceiling fan and light with an updated model, anyone can install these. 

Did you add them or replace them?  As we don’t/didn’t already have them it required wiring, adding switches as well as the install.  I know my limitations and I’d rather have a professional do the wiring.  

26 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

With the remodel we put a ceiling fan in our room and it’s a game changer.  It’s directly over our bed and with the windows/slider open we hadn't had to run AC last summer at all.  

In hindsight we should have had them put in all of the bedrooms but we can always add them. 

Oh yes, I installed ceiling fans in every room in our house, except the bathrooms. Definitely game changers. 

25 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Did you add them or replace them?  As we don’t/didn’t already have them it required wiring, adding switches as well as the install.  I know my limitations and I’d rather have a professional do the wiring.  

Replace. The wiring for power and stabilizer brackets were already there. 

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, Mister Beanz said:

You guys don't know how bad it really is here.  Last BIG rain storm,  it must have rained for at least 15 minutes. 😲

On the other side of the card. Heatwave in the 80s and 90? 😆

I had two students in my high school Chemstry and Physics classes who had moved to our area, mid-way between Baltimore and Annapolis, from Southern California. The girl, Catherine, was in 10th grade when they moved and the boy, Mike, was in 9th grade. They said they found so much rain to be a real bummer.  That was the Fall when it doesn't rain often here!  I told them to wait until Spring and they'll really be depressed.

Their Southern California school had outdoor hallways where the classrooms were individual buildings.  When I asked them what they did if it rained, they said, "School was closed for the day."

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

I had two students in my high school Chemstry and Physics classes who had moved to our area, mid-way between Baltimore and Annapolis, from Southern California. The girl, Catherine, was in 10th grade when they moved and the boy, Mike, was in 9th grade. They said they found so much rain to be a real bummer.  That was the Fall when it doesn't rain often here!  I told them to wait until Spring and they'll really be depressed.

Their Southern California school had outdoor hallways where the classrooms were individual buildings.  When I asked them what they did if it rained, they said, "School was closed for the day."

You had referenced this before and I have no reason to doubt their or your account but  I have never experienced this personally or with my kids and our schools are set up similarly.   I gotta think their school had something else going on to cause it to close when it rained.

Our outdoor schools don’t close due to rain although if they did we wouldn’t miss much school anyway.