I almost crashed!

MoseySusan

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

I haven’t reached “embrace the concussion” stage of recreational cycling. 

Just messing with you. Being jovial within my own method of expression.  Do your thing. And please be safe.

Peace. 

• Hugs 1

5 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

I was riding downhill on the paved bike trail just south of home. In fact, the trail is parallel to my street, and I pass my house heading west before turning around at the end of the block to pedal over to my street and uphill a bit back home again. But I digress.

So, I’m coasting downhill kind of fast. Well, fast for me. Probably 20 mph, I can’t be certain, but 20 is a nice round number that sounds fast to me. Don’t get hung up on the actual speed. It was fast because I  get nothing but spin even if I do turn the pedals. I think my big ring is 48, which is perfect for most rides, but spins out on any downhill. I’m ok with that, though, since coasting feels good, too.

Anyway, I’m coasting  down the path and looking to my right at an abandoned lot. The house that used to be there caught on fire, but instead of rebuilding and getting a lot of discretionary cash like Dr. Mickin, the owners razed the home and abandoned the lot. Vandals have knocked down the cinder block wall separating the property from the arroyo easement, and for good reason. Taking that wall down creates a direct route from the subsidized housing units to the east to the grocery store down the street. It probably saves folx ten minutes of walking  around the neighborhood.

So, I’m pondering an interesting use for this vacant lot, then wondering if I could drop-in at the steep sides of the concrete flood control channel (arroyo), realizing that even if I could drop-in without endoing I couldn’t pedal back out, and shucks…if I could that would save me five minutes of riding around the neighborhood. I didn’t realize the paved path takes a turn. 

I roll hard into cactus, tall weeds, gravel, concrete debris, dead leaves, heading straight for the edge of the arroyo. A moment of panic and then snap to! Take control of the handlebars, steer through the rough back toward the path, which was a little dicey because I had to avoid getting stuck in an erosion rut. My heart rate jumped into the 130’s. I was riding while fasted and the wash of adrenaline left me feeling a little shaky during the uphill bit back home. 

But I’m here to tell the story, God be praised! I’m glad I didn’t have to find out whether I could drop-in the arroyo. Not today. 

"I roll hard into cactus, tall weeds, gravel, concrete debris..."

Thank God and The Fates you're ok!

Oh those thorns!  I've only had a few crashes and a couple stupid falls like the time I was on a paved trail that was tilted 30° or so down to the left.  So I decided to stop for a moment and - of course - put my LEFT foot down.  Just like my other crashes, I fell sideways right into a thorn bush!