I’ll just set this here.

MoseySusan

Having a hard time doing 20 in a 48 ring? You need to work on your spin as that is plenty of gear. 

I ride at 19 and 20 fairly easy,  and even 21 mph if I try hard spinning my "39" ring.  I rarely use my 53 on the flat trails.  I remember passing a guy then stopping at a nearby park yo refill my bottles.  He rolled over and said I had passed him because I had a 53 ring on my bike and he only had a 48. I told him to look down at my chain, I was in my 39 ring when I passed him. I guess he learned something new that day.  😃

Good report though and glad you weren't hurt. Good that you can come to and recognize how to avoid the hazard. 

Gina is a different story. 🤣

• Heart 2

20 minutes ago, Mister Beanz said:

Having a hard time doing 20 in a 48 ring? You need to work on your spin as that is plenty of gear. 

I ride at 19 and 20 fairly easy,  and even 21 mph if I try hard spinning my "39" ring.  I rarely use my 53 on the flat trails.  I remember passing a guy then stopping at a nearby park yo refill my bottles.  He rolled over and said I had passed him because I had a 53 ring on my bike and he only had a 48. I told him to look down at my chain, I was in my 39 ring when I passed him. I guess he learned something new that day.  😃

Good report though and glad you weren't hurt. Good that you can come to and recognize how to avoid the hazard. 

Gina is a different story. 🤣

I spin out pretty easy on a downhill grade.  I have a 50/34 compact, and if the grade is 3% or steeper I spin out quickly.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Hello, my name is Mosey. Nice to meet you. :) 

I can still pedal through when I want to, but I prefer riding in heart rate Zone “mosey” because my legs and feet would get crampy at night when I’d ride at speed. I’ve found the speed and level of effort that allows me to enjoy riding without my foot twisting to the side at night. 

Hmm, you said the 48 spins out not good for 20 mph. 

Even if you are mosey, the 48 should not be bashed. It's a good gear. 👍 

7 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

no..... I guess it is 32-34 mph.  but that is with my 50 ring.

I guess the 48 would not be that much different

Yup,  30+ is credible with a 50 ring. 

Heck, out my front door was a 3 mile 3% and I'd roll home at 20 or so. Which was doable in my 39/14 combo. 

If you spin out on a 3% with a 50 ring? That would make for some good video footage. 😄

I would spin out at 43 on a 7% in my 53/12 combo so I was hoping you meant at least 30 with the 50 ring.  Also you might have an 11 cog in the back. My smallest cog is a 12.

8 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

no..... I guess it is 32-34 mph.  but that is with my 50 ring.

I guess the 48 would not be that much different

I tend to spin out in the low 30 MPH range on my Bianchi with the compact 50/12.  I run a cross crankset 36/46 on my Ritchey & with a 11 smallest cog tend to spin out around the same speed.  

I really have no need to go any faster so just coast when going fast down a hill. 

8 minutes ago, Mister Beanz said:

Yup,  30+ is credible with a 50 ring. 

Heck, out my front door was a 3 mile 3% and I'd roll home at 20 or so. Which was doable in my 39/14 combo. 

If you spin out on a 3% with a 50 ring? That would make for some good video footage. 😄

I would spin out at 43 on a 7% in my 53/12 combo so I was hoping you meant at least 30 with the 50 ring.  Also you might have an 11 cog in the back. My smallest cog is a 12.

Maybe it is closer to 5-6% grade when I spin out.  At that speed I am not normally changing the computer to the elevation screen.

• Haha 1

Just now, az_cyclist said:

Maybe it is closer to 5-6% grade when I spin out.  At that speed I am not normally changing the computer to the elevation screen.

I have my Garmin set up with a climbing screen seeing there are 7 available. Think I saw more on the newer models. 

I have speed, grade, gain, and a few more on that screen so I can often tell how fast I'm going on certain grades. Up or down. 😃

28 minutes ago, Mister Beanz said:

Even if you are mosey, the 48 should not be bashed. It's a good gear. 👍 

Not bashing the 48. Just acknowledging that what’s fast for me may not be fast for others. And I feel great coasting at around 20 whereas others may prefer to keep pedaling. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I tend to spin out in the low 30 MPH range on my Bianchi with the compact 50/12.  I run a cross crankset 36/46 on my Ritchey & with a 11 smallest cog tend to spin out around the same speed.  

I really have no need to go any faster so just coast when going fast down a hill. 

I have gathered information on rides that were timed events like Ride Around the Bear and Breathless Agony.  Long 20 mile descents of 6 to 7 percent. I was at the time racing against the clock.  So I found I could hold 43 in my 53 ring. 

I also found that I could hold 40 in a tuck so there was no sense in pushing the pedals with effort on the descent.  Other than soft pedaling to keep the legs from getting stiff. I learned that one really quick. 20 mile descent is not all that easy after climbing 12,000 ft then having to pedal again on short climbs that are placed along the descent. 

On GMR,  I pushed hard when I was young.  Now I just let it roll. Usually 30 or so.  But now and then I push on a straight section hitting 40 just as a reminder of what it feels like. I think 43 is my max. But seeing too many of my older friends getting hurt,  it's my mission to get through my old age without getting hurt so I coast down. 🙃 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Beanz said:

it's my mission to get through my old age without getting hurt so I coast down. 🙃

Well, be careful what you look at (and for how long) on the side of the road. Wouldn’t want you going over the edge. 
image.gif.e7052a5dc78850da89dd42044c8b89b9.gif

• Haha 1

A nice reasonable spin is the "normal" 90, but not really where most folks spin out. At that rate:

• A 53/11 @ 90rpm = 34.8 mph
  • A 50/11 @ 90rpm = 32.9 mph
  • A 48/11 @ 90rpm = 31.5 mph
  • A 53/12 @ 90rpm = 31.9 mph
  • A 50/12 @ 90rpm = 30.1 mph
  • A 48/12 @ 90rpm = 28.9 mph

Truly "spinning out" though might be closer to 120 rpm, so the speeds are 30% higher in that case!

• A 53/11 @ 120rpm = 46.4 mph
  • A 50/11 @ 120rpm = 43.8 mph
  • A 48/11 @ 120rpm = 42.1 mph
  • A 53/12 @ 120rpm = 42.6 mph
  • A 50/12 @ 120rpm = 40.2 mph
  • A 48/12 @ 120rpm = 38.6 mph

That being said, on any real downhill, I'll often just get to 40 mph and then go into a deep tuck and ride the heck out of it letting gravity take over :D

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Beanz said:

I have my Garmin set up with a climbing screen seeing there are 7 available. Think I saw more on the newer models. 

I have speed, grade, gain, and a few more on that screen so I can often tell how fast I'm going on certain grades. Up or down. 😃

Does that pull much power from the battery on your bike?  :whistle:

• Haha 2

BTW, Gina is actually a pretty good descending on the bike.  She's done the twisting winding roads of gmr 100 times. She can keep up with most my male friends. 

We have a friend Aimee who can smoke Gina on the way up but if it were an up and back race, Gina might beat her. Gina descends at about 25 with a max of 38 on the short straight section.  Aimee is scared to death on the descent and comes down about  10 mph. 😲 I knew one other guy like that from a SoCal forum on dot net. Amazing climber but ask him to do 11 on the descent???????

Gina hit 38 going down on this straight section. Here she's going up. Then another of her in front of my friend on the dh. The other image in red, she's passing me going down the mtn road.  You can see the ripples on the back of her tank top that shows she had some speed. 😄

101511i.jpg

100310500A.jpg

Screenshot_20220520-150045_YouTube.jpg

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, 20mph is hit at 60rpm in the 48/12 combo :facepalm:

Maybe you were in the 48/19 spinning at 100rpm, though! :hapydance:

I was coasting. It’s a better story when I don’t know I was probably doing 28.9 mph straight into the rough toward a concrete embankment. 🥺

• Hugs 1

11 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I was coasting. It’s a better story when I don’t know I was probably doing 28.9 mph straight into the rough toward a concrete embankment. 🥺

Were you alone?

When Gina rides with me. I'm all over her to pay attention because she can be an airhead and she knows it.

So approaching a parked car or any kind of obstacle. I'll call it out then ask her. Do you see it? 👀 

She's done some scary stuff so I watch her like a hawk. 😄

It helps having someone along to call out hazards that others might not see.

On 5/20/2022 at 6:56 PM, MoseySusan said:

A bit of hyperbole would have really jazzed that story up!  Barreling down the hill at over 40 mph, wind whipping your hair, a swarm of killer bees in pursuit, and a fierce thunderstorm about to break loose causing you to throw caution to the wind and take risks you'd never normally take.

Or, I could see you pulling a "Natnael Tesfatsion" (1:30 below), and really adding some drama to the story!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

A bit of hyperbole would have really jazzed that story up!  Barreling down the hill at over 40 mph, wind whipping your hair, a swarm of killer bees in pursuit, and a fierce thunderstorm about to break loose causing you to throw caution to the wind and take risks you'd never normally take.

Good point. Wow…I’m really looking forward to your next ride report where you model effective use of hyperbole to create jazz.