How long would you survive as a vegan?

Square Wheels

I have milk, yogurt daily which I would miss.  And some noodles are made from egg, not all.

So I probably could only last a wk. I need yogurt for my system...this I discovered when I've gone vacationing overseas in  Europe and Asia.

I actually only  eat meat, small amount each time, about 3-4 times/month.   Eating meat daily is now more harder on my system. I learned that again, when travelling overseas and all the dishes (I knew I wouldn 't get in North America) I ate with meat.

I would have to switch to Buddhist vegan style to make it remotely palatable and easiest on my body, for myself.

11 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

With world population exploding and all the probable shortages looming ahead, our future diets will likely be heavily dependent on processed foods, such as soylent green.  I'm pretty sure soylent green is an animal-based product.

image.jpeg.0312a585d7c6e5a8bdfe3d6c3d4bb608.jpeg

I would survive but not be happy.  I enjoy cooking and trying new foods and I would miss that aspect of my life.  I have had several very tasty vegan dishes, and my favorite chili can be vegan without topping it with cheese, but I would miss the joy of food

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

I eat very little meat these days, but I do rely on dairy quite a bit.  I try to eat a healthy diet (within reason), but hard and fast rules about what I can and cannot eat doesn't appeal to me.  Life is too short.  

I'm not saying you implied it, but to be clear, I've never claimed a vegan diet is better for you.

I do not think red meat is good for you, in any quantity though.

47 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I'm not saying you implied it, but to be clear, I've never claimed a vegan diet is better for you.

Blasphemy!!!!😁

46 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I haven't eaten any red meat in years.  I do eat a significant amount of chicken.  Plus dairy.  I have osteopenia (weak bones) and I need to make sure I get enough calcium in my diet.  Each day, I religiously track my calcium, protein and fiber.  I've always been a big proponent of fiber.  At least 30 grams per day.  And now I have to make sure I take in 1200 mg of calcium per day.  Not easy on a strict vegan diet.  

25 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I made it 3 months. Vegetarianism is far easier and seems like a far better compromise than extreme vegan diet. The extra year or two you MAY gain in your life doesn’t warrant that existence. 😃

I feel a lot more at peace with the welfare of animals knowing I contribute very little to their miserable existence.  That plus the year or two extra that you gave me makes it worth.  I hardly miss eating anything animal based.

• Heart 1

Me eating  alot  less meat, is just  sheer  laziness and the cost of the meat. Starting almost over 15 yrs. ag o, I also naturally wandered alot away from meat when dearie severely cut down on his meat intake.

I just can't be bothered buying and cutting up more meat to put into freezer because now it's just me. I do buy very lean beef (and when dearie was alive, he did prep. bison few times/yr.) but only eat fistful size per meal. And  other times, seafood.

That's it....not even chicken or pork.  Will order a nice looking dish at restaurants, but I've lost alot interest in prepping those meats at home.

17 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I feel a lot more at peace with the welfare of animals knowing I contribute very little to their miserable existence.  That plus the year or two extra that you gave me makes it worth.  I hardly miss eating anything animal based.

If we all ate more meat, then their miserable lives would be shorter, no?

8 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I would not do well. Vegetabletarian would be much more realistic because cheese. So I guess lacto ovo vegetabletarian although I could probably get by withoot the Ovos. 

This.  I'd miss hamburgers and Turkey dinners, but that's really only when I go out.  I rarely cook meat at home. But I'd miss cheese.  I don't have eggs or milk in the house but I'd miss the convenience of being able to buy baked goods without worrying about them

I've taken a couple short trips to a retreat that doesn't allow animal products on site.  It took a little work to figure out what food to bring, but it was doable.  But I think it would be harder in the "real world"