Heat > Busted Spoke :D

Razors Edge

Garmin claimed I was getting close to being acclimated to the heat.  It was wrong. I figured sun/heat on Sat vs heat/rain on Sun, so Sat was the better day to ride.  I rolled out with the day still warming - 80s - and a goal to take it easy and stay hydrated.  I finished the ride hot and bothered :D but not really too dehydrated.  I did make the mistake of stopping for lunch and getting a reuben sandwich, but it was at least a good replacement of calories???

Anyway, similar route as my "broken spoke" ride a few weeks ago, but a little shorter.  It turns out having a broken spoke and a rear wheel that rubs on the brakes for much of the ride (but temps in the 60s) is actually less fatiguing than riding in the 90s when not yet "acclimated". I would have definitely bet on the opposite.

Thanks, Garmin, for blowing smoke up my ass :) and making me think I was ready for summer temps.  

• Awesome 1

16 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

It seems as though you’re getting there. A couple more rides, focus on hydration, less reuben… I wonder how the heat/rain ride will pan out. Can’t wait to read Ch. Next. 

Sunday morning, the temps were already getting extreme.  Even the pup thought a walk was unnecessary, but I had some chores to do in the AM, and would be fine out of the heat.  My wife hit the gym in the AM, I took care of my stuff, and we agreed to an afternoon visit to the local fine arts festival that was held over the weekend.  Rain was supposed to move in at 3pm, then moved over to 4, then moved to 5, then to 6.  I watched some Giro, then we headed out around 2 for the short walk to the festival - and... it started raining.  Now the forecast read rain at 3 (it was raining at 2???), and then a pause and return of rain at 6.  We turned around, she ran to the grocery store for some dinner ingredients, and we ventured back out to the festival when she got back.  Hot but with shaded spots plus some clouds to block the sun helped.  We wandered for a while, didn't buy anything, but enjoyed the various things on sale.  Back home, and probably at 5pm, the wind really picked up, then the rain and lightning for about an hour or two, and then a nice enough evening.

16 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Where is this heat acclimation reading?  I looked in Connect online.

It is something the Garmin head unit will display up on my ride.  It has done it for elevation when I was in Colorado, and regularly does for heat as the summer approaches. I don't know if it shows up in the app anywhere, though.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=PUpEXCkABL4diFIeg3IrX5

12 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

It is something the Garmin head unit will display up on my ride.  It has done it for elevation when I was in Colorado, and regularly does for heat as the summer approaches. I don't know if it shows up in the app anywhere, though.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=PUpEXCkABL4diFIeg3IrX5

Interesting, it's on my watch, I've never looked at it.

11 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Interesting, it's on my watch, I've never looked at it.

I think it is BS.  I think when I went to my latest Garmin, all sorts of stuff got turned "on" by default, so now I'm getting messages before and after rides that I never got on the last Garmin.  

On 5/23/2022 at 6:26 AM, Razors Edge said:

Sunday morning, the temps were already getting extreme.  Even the pup thought a walk was unnecessary, but I had some chores to do in the AM, and would be fine out of the heat.  My wife hit the gym in the AM, I took care of my stuff, and we agreed to an afternoon visit to the local fine arts festival that was held over the weekend.  Rain was supposed to move in at 3pm, then moved over to 4, then moved to 5, then to 6.  I watched some Giro, then we headed out around 2 for the short walk to the festival - and... it started raining.  Now the forecast read rain at 3 (it was raining at 2???), and then a pause and return of rain at 6.  We turned around, she ran to the grocery store for some dinner ingredients, and we ventured back out to the festival when she got back.  Hot but with shaded spots plus some clouds to block the sun helped.  We wandered for a while, didn't buy anything, but enjoyed the various things on sale.  Back home, and probably at 5pm, the wind really picked up, then the rain and lightning for about an hour or two, and then a nice enough evening.

Art festival! Any bicycle artwork? I have this goofy piece we bought from a gallery in Salida, CO, quite a few years ago. The artist is from Texas. Figures. She doesn’t seem to understand how to position handlebars. But I liked how she used an old window, leaving the ropes and pulleys and even a little spiderweb in the corner. 
image.thumb.jpeg.afcabe4350165b966da12c567cf7a8fe.jpeg

9 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Art festival! Any bicycle artwork?

Yes.  Not a ton, but definitely some to be seen.  One cool one was a series of about 6-10 cyclists (1/4 size, maybe)  individually hung by wires along a wall so that you could arrange the mini peloton how you liked on a wall.  You could have them in a tight pack, with a solo breakaway, or scattered across the wall(s) - pretty much depends on your wall and space.  If I had a large wall waiting for "something awesome", it would work.  The same artist had other similar variations - sail boats, rock climbers, etc.  I think you could buy individual pieces and decide how big or small you wanted your grouping.

But, yeah, it is funny how cycling stuff pops up in various artworks - from photography, to painting, to sculpture, to jewelry. 

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

But, yeah, it is funny how cycling stuff pops up in various artworks -

That peloton work sounds fun. First Child’s high school art teacher did a series on drawing bicycles. He said they’re good figures for learning proportionate shapes. Child did a small mosaic of a red bike that I used to have hanging in the guest room until the paper faded and it looked more like a school project than artwork. 

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

That peloton work sounds fun. First Child’s high school art teacher did a series on drawing bicycles. He said they’re good figures for learning proportionate shapes. Child did a small mosaic of a red bike that I used to have hanging in the guest room until the paper faded and it looked more like a school project than artwork. 

I love when they show some folk's - often kids, but also adults - drawings of bikes from "memory".  Too funny. You get a lot this one where there are weird designs and the double triangle becomes a single triangle or box.

Four%20badly%20drawn%20bikes.png

• Awesome 1