Jiff recall

Airehead

Good questions @Airehead. I did a little research and found that the Jif site and one independent report both said to dispose of the product and did not address any refunds or replacement. I may be ASSuming too much but I believe a “voluntary” recall frees the Smucker corporation from refunds or replacement. I would call the number or email on the jif site to ask questions. They may send coupons to people who ask, maybe 20 percent, which is cheaper in the long run for the business. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

but I believe a “voluntary” recall frees the Smucker corporation from refunds or replacement

I’ve already eaten from this jar a couple of times. I wonder if the bacteria lives in a pocket, and if I keep eating from the jar, I’ll get to the part that will make me sick. 

• Sad 1

From the manufacturer web site.

Consumers who have impacted product should immediately dispose of the product.

Consumers who have questions or would like to report adverse reactions should visit www.jif.com/contact-us or call 800-828-9980 Monday-Friday, 8AM-5PM EST.

This seems like a bad deal for the consumer.   You buy and expect to have peanut butter...   But you get to throw it away for a recall.   :angry:

I'd probably call them and complain...   

• Awesome 1

Just now, Bikeguy said:

From the manufacturer web site.

Consumers who have impacted product should immediately dispose of the product.

Consumers who have questions or would like to report adverse reactions should visit www.jif.com/contact-us or call 800-828-9980 Monday-Friday, 8AM-5PM EST.

Wow, that is a crappy response.  The sold me an unusable product, it should be replaced.

• Awesome 1

18 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I will call

"Hello? Jif Peanut Butter Hotline? Say, I ate some of your peanut butter from the lot numbers in the 'voluntary' recall.  I'm in an ambulance right now going to the emergency room, and there are three different lawyers chasing the ambulance trying to get me to sign a class action something-other.  I was wondering if you'd consider replacing the two jars of Jif I had to throw out due to your voluntary recall..."

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

Recall reminds me of an issue Gina had with one of her accounts. CSR for storage warehouse,  Jiff peanut butter.  

When it was outdated,  they used to give it to local pig farms to feed pigs. 

Then later found out they were actually actually taking it to swap meets to sell at reduced prices.  So the mfg started demanding they destroy it rather than give it away while requiring proof it was destroyed. Not wanting to get sued if someone happened to get sick.

16 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I'd probably call them and complain...   

100%.

I once bought Jiffy corn muffins - funny coincidence Jif & Jiffy - and noticed weird specks in the mix.  Little tiny bugs.  I tossed the mix, wrote a letter, got a refund and some coupons from them.  Took a month, but easy enough to do.  They did claim little tiny bugs were "normal". :scratchhead: