The Great Carbon Debate has just been Settled

Mr. Beanz

Aluminum frame 13,000 miles. SNAP.

Replacement and free upgrade to partial aluminum/carbon,  another 13,000 miles,  SNAP....at the Aluminum section. 

Free upgrade to full carbon,  21,750 miles currently and not one single issue. 

Debate solved for us big guys.

BTW, Trek has really taken care of me with warranties so I'm a Trek guy. 👍

• Heart 1

2022 aluminum vs 2000 aluminum is pretty wide of a divide.  2022 aluminum is fantastic, and way better designed.  Same as 2000 CF vs 2022 CF.  Bike companies have really learned a LOT about shaping tubes - whether aluminum, steel, titanium, or CF over the past 10 to 15 years.  I'd take a aluminum frame with no hesitancy these days, and expect it to be pretty close to other materials in life expectancy.  That being said, CF remains, to me, the best overall, for its ability to do everything well, and it comes down to the design rather than the material - ie you can use CF for a super stiff crit monster, a super light mountain goat, a super cush century crusher, or anything you can think of.  It's pretty darn awesome.

• Heart 1

I think Beanz is getting at the common notion of Bike Forum “experts” that big guys shouldn’t ride carbon.  I agree that carbon is plenty strong for any sized rider and even steel frames were known to break back in the day. 

15 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think Beanz is getting at the common notion of Bike Forum “experts” that big guys shouldn’t ride carbon.  I agree that carbon is plenty strong for any sized rider and even steel frames were known to break back in the day. 

Yeah - I think we live in a golden age for bike design  where all materials are "better" if only because of how tech - like computer modeling - has really just made bike makers able to do some awesome stuff.  Steel got "great" because they figured it out over a century.  Aluminum seemed to come in with great promise, but limitations that kept it hit or miss.  CF, got a small start in the 80s, but the real kicker came in 2000 or so where it all came together.  If the first CF (and aluminum or steel) frames weren't perfect, nowadays, they're unlikely to be the "limiting" factor on your bike.  Heck, we just had the wheels discussion, and we USED to have the brakes discussion, but darned if most spots aren't really improved so much it becomes nit picking.  Nowadays, I worry about if I remembered to charge the Garmin or my blinkie lights more than anything :D  

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - I think we live in a golden age for bike design  where all materials are "better" if only because of how tech - like computer modeling - has really just made bike makers able to do some awesome stuff.  Steel got "great" because they figured it out over a century.  Aluminum seemed to come in with great promise, but limitations that kept it hit or miss.  CF, got a small start in the 80s, but the real kicker came in 2000 or so where it all came together.  If the first CF (and aluminum or steel) frames weren't perfect, nowadays, they're unlikely to be the "limiting" factor on your bike.  Heck, we just had the wheels discussion, and we USED to have the brakes discussion, but darned if most spots aren't really improved so much it becomes nit picking.  Nowadays, I worry about if I remembered to charge the Garmin or my blinkie lights more than anything :D  

With steel, many tubes broke due to efforts to go light weight so it was the efforts to improve steel that made it more fragile.  But yeah the processes are pretty dialed now.

Yeah charging is a pita… I can never remember to charge my Garmin and have run out of juice on rides a few times. 

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Nah! My Madone is a 2011 so I've known for a while it's cool.  But 20,000+ miles later,  I've proven it.😄

• Awesome 1

5 hours ago, ChrisL said:

With steel, many tubes broke due to efforts to go light weight so it was the efforts to improve steel that made it more fragile.  But yeah the processes are pretty dialed now.

Yeah charging is a pita… I can never remember to charge my Garmin and have run out of juice on rides a few times. 

Ha! My Garmin claimed 12 hours but older now,  actual is about 8.I bought a XOSS online for 40. Not as fancy but 25 hours battery life on one charge..  I've been using it last 6. Months and. My Garmin collecting dust.

• Heart 1