Looked at a motorhome today

BR46

I drove 2 hours to the guys house because he has the model motorhome I'm interested in. He has a price listed or best offer. I check every thing over a agreed to pay his asking price. He then tells me that he has 2 more people interested and wants to see what they have to say. 

I think that it's kind of shady that I offered to pay his asking price but wouldn't sell until he talked with the other guys. 

• Sad 3

8 hours ago, Further said:

Is there a lot of demand for motor homes right now ?

I agree that it is shady to not accept the asking price, asking price should be the 'buy it now' price

Demand is absurd. In terms of new, manufactures can’t keep up with demand which skyrocketed with Covid isolation coupled with parts shortage required at all stages beginning with Ford and Mercedes supplying the chassis to begin the build, then the supply of other component shortage, like fridge, ac, ladders, and other components to complete the build. Few, if any, low and mid budget units on dealer lots, and like the entire auto industry, incoming are custom orders pre-sold. Historically, custom orders took 3 months, now expanding up to a year. Worse for Leisure Travel Vans, normally a year, now a 3 year wait. Prices? A 50-70% increase is the norm.

Used, like @BR46 is looking for, dealers trying to have inventory on the lot, are offering beyondtop dollar for used. This has driven prices up above what people originally paid, even with the dealers “lowball” for resale profit. As usual, private sale avoids the “lowball” while allowing a slight discount for the buyer vs dealer. It is a sellers market - both new and used.

Personally, my feeling is the used is the biggest risk when bubble burst. Originally thinking all these newbies motivated by the Covid isolation realize RV - and monthly payments- are not for them as traditional travel options open up. Campgrounds are full at popular destinations with increased rates so where are you going to go? Sell and flood the used market, dropping prices, but that hasn’t happened yet.

with that history, now enter high fuel cost. A slightly higher rate of custom order walk aways  (previously price increase during construction was reason) with fuel costs an additional reason. Dealers begin to have new inventory, with quick turnover hasn’t impacted used pricing yet with the short holding carry on inventory.

that is what @BR46 is up against.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

My brother bought a 20' long trailer that sleeps 4, has a sink, range, and portable toilet for $1200 in 2020.

It needed new tires and some minor work, but he got it fixed up in time to do a lot of fishing with his son and other family members.

That was a great way to get away from work for the weekend, on vacation, etc. during the pandemic.

• Heart 2

9 hours ago, groupw said:

If he comes back, tell him your offer was for that day when you were standing there. You had to drive back 2 hours empty-handed. Time and money ain’t cheap! I’m sure he will be expecting you to drive back to pick it up. 

100% this. 

47 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

My brother bought a 20' long trailer that sleeps 4, has a sink, range, and portable toilet for $1200 in 2020.

It needed new tires and some minor work, but he got it fixed up in time to do a lot of fishing with his son and other family members.

That was a great way to get away from work for the weekend, on vacation, etc. during the pandemic.

What I said earlier doesn't fully apply to trailers and 5th wheels. Other than perhaps some component availability in a buildout - that they can be delivered without, they are built on a platform and don't require a chassis impacted by the chip shortage. Of course, if they need something to pull it with, then there is the truck shortage. A 20 footer is a good size that can be towed by many SUV's and mid-size trucks, such as the Ranger and Colorado/Canyon. You don't need a half ton or larger.

Sounds like a great deal at $1200, but obviously would be quite a few years old and/or need work.

While prices have increased on trailers, I did the math. As the RV represents another motorized vehicle,, technically, you can buy a half ton truck and trailer cheaper than a motorhome, and even a 3/4 ton truck and moderately prices (28-32') 5th wheel cheaper or breakeven to an RV. The problem is having a 3/4 ton fuel guzzler as a daily driver, so like an RV need a more economical daily driver that could also be towed behind the RV for destination travel vs the unhitched truck.

2 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

What I said earlier doesn't fully apply to trailers and 5th wheels. Other than perhaps some component availability in a buildout - that they can be delivered without, they are built on a platform and don't require a chassis impacted by the chip shortage. Of course, if they need something to pull it with, then there is the truck shortage. A 20 footer is a good size that can be towed by many SUV's and mid-size trucks, such as the Ranger and Colorado/Canyon. You don't need a half ton or larger.

Sounds like a great deal at $1200, but obviously would be quite a few years old and/or need work.

I was up against the truck shortage a few years ago when my pickup died and was looking for a new one. Dealers inventory were low and deals were not to be had but the asking price was the price not let's see if someone offers me more than my asking price. 

16 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

He's hoping for a bidding war.

11 hours ago, groupw said:

If he comes back, tell him your offer was for that day when you were standing there. You had to drive back 2 hours empty-handed. Time and money ain’t cheap! I’m sure he will be expecting you to drive back to pick it up. 

Or someone has given a deposit with the contingency of loan and/or professional RV inspection. Others become backup offers, even at full price. Plus the problem with that "2-hour drive and returning empty handed, to repeat the 2-hour drive again" argument is...works well in a normal market, but now, with the time laps...have those "two others" grown to five others.

2 hours ago, Tizeye said:

works well in a normal market, but now, with the time laps...have those "two others" grown to five others.

I wonder if that has "flipped" in the past couple months since the Ukraine invasion disrupted oil/gas prices?  Usually you see a swing from feast to famine and back again during times like now.  It will be interesting to see where housing goes too.  

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

I thought you have an RV? Are you looking to upgrade, downsize, selling your rig?

We have a rv....it's 25 years old and coming up on 200,000 miles. 

The one we looked at was identical to ours just newer and less miles. We are kinda fussy on what we want. We know what will work and not work for our travels. 

We like the class c because the upper bunk is where we keep the leathers, body armor and helmets.

• Thank You 1

13 minutes ago, BR46 said:

This would be cool but I don't think that it has enuff power to pull a trailer through the mountains 

116883284_2785780951744998_2479368789175610227_n.jpg.2ce948b446be3ec76dffca3ea287c1b2.jpg

Unless there is a small block Chevy hidden in there then that thing doesn't have enough power to get out of it's own way. 

• Heart 1

It's still hard to get reservations in a campground on weekends.

We just stayed for 5 nights, around $400.  Fuel cost was about $250 to get there and back and explore a bit.  But, having the camper, we only had 2 meals at restaurants.  So I'm guessing about $800 for 5 days for the four of us.  Still cheaper than many vacations.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, 12string said:

It's still hard to get reservations in a campground on weekends.

We just stayed for 5 nights, around $400.  Fuel cost was about $250 to get there and back and explore a bit.  But, having the camper, we only had 2 meals at restaurants.  So I'm guessing about $800 for 5 days for the four of us.  Still cheaper than many vacations.

We've only have gone camping a few times in our motorhome and since the we are retired we go on week days.

The reason why we bought the motorhome is we got tired of sleeping in the truck at the race track.

Some tracks only have food trucks that stop selling at 4 or 5 and there's times we were the last race of the day so we had to go find food. 

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

THIS

The posting was taken down around 9 this morning and I never heard anything. My guess is that someone already offered him a higher price before I got there (It was worth it) and he didn't tell me

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

There is one for sale down to street from work..$49,000 190,000 miles Mercedes diesel 

There is one here that the guy is asking $90,000. He had plans of seeing the country and found out that motorhomes, parking, gas station and just plan driving can be difficult. 

They say that unless you are driving 25,000 miles a year diesel is not worth it.