Hindsight and missed opportunities

Parsnip Totin Jack

Listening to vinyl tonight. I was struck by missed opportunities. Karen Carpenter and her brother ruled the airwaves from 1969 to 1973. I wasn’t a fan of their music but she had a voice. She seemed like she was locked into a narrow category of music that she couldn’t escape. It’s a shame that she couldn’t cross genres or explore her options. Many artists at the time crossed boundaries. I see her as playing with the Grateful Dead, the Band, and a fourth member of the Trio: Dolly Parton, Emmy Lou Harris, and Linda Rondstat. Hell, she would have rounded out the Traveling Wilburys very nicely. What do you think?

• Heart 3

7 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

Listening to vinyl tonight. I was struck by missed opportunities. Karen Carpenter and her brother ruled the airwaves from 1969 to 1973. I wasn’t a fan of their music but she had a voice. She seemed like she was locked into a narrow category of music that she couldn’t escape. It’s a shame that she couldn’t cross genres or explore her options. Many artists at the time crossed boundaries. I see her as playing with the Grateful Dead, the Band, and a fourth member of the Trio: Dolly Parton, Emmy Lou Harris, and Linda Rondstat. Hell, she would have rounded out the Traveling Wilburys very nicely. What do you think?

She would have been a drummer.  That was her first love.

• Heart 1

Her voice had a really unique and beautiful timbre.  I still listen to their Christmas songs.    But accomplishment in most things take not only the talent but also a certain mental attitude.   It's still incredibly hard for people to get the mental support they need, and it was even harder 50 years ago.  I definitely agree, a talent lost too soon.

19 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

Richard and Karen came from a very religiously-conservative family and it was Richard who was the musician in the family who found the right songs for his sister.  "We've Only Just Begun," was discovered by Richard when he heard it being used in a commercial.

Karen had a fantastic voice - I was a fan of the Carpenters - and she could have sung any genre, but I think it would have been a reach for fans to like it if it was really hard rock.