Are people serious?

Chris...

They want to be recognized for their heritage... Just like you claim on being a limey

Personally I like being a hillbilly. I would claim my other parts of my background no matter how small they are but I don't care.  

I'm .001% jew, but I don't boast about it! 

• Heart 1

when they claim 1/8th Cherokee and similar bullshit.

I think most of those people have nothing unique or outstanding about them, so they say stuff like that to feel more interesting.

I am 1/8 cherokee or similar bullshit, btw.  (not really, as far as I know, unless cherokees have been banging female family members in the night way back).  My grandmother said that we had some indian in us, but that was after she had had alzheimers for 8 years or so and was pretty whacked out.  She never previously made that claim or anything like that until then.

Additional benefits….  I had an employee explain to me that due to his 1/16 Native American blood he received a free college education.  I'm not sure the details only that he was from the Michigan UP and was registered with a tribe up there. 

My half-sister qualified with a tribe in Michigan. But there you had to be 1/8th for partial assistance and 1/4 or better got a full ride.

when they claim 1/8th Cherokee and similar bullshit.

One of my grandmothers was Cherokee. That puts me in your bullshit category, I suppose. I'm very interested in that ancestry and have thought about applying to the Eastern Band registry. Am equally interested into Celtic ancestry and am also thinking of applying to the Registry for the family Scottish clan. Nothing to do with anyone's approval or any land/educational/financial gains. Just some heritage to pass on to my children and grandchildren?

What prompted your question?

Someone told me they were 1/8 th Cherokee. I asked them if they had researched their ancestry. They had not. I told them that one of their great grandparents would have to be full blooded Cherokee for them to be 1/8th. They didn't understand why.

That's just more of an indictment of our public education system than it is heritage.

I am full blooded Indianan.

So I have a serious question.  I claim to be Indianan but in reality I was born in Louisville KY.  I was just born there and as soon as I was old enough to leave the hospital I was whisked across the border under the cover of night to the wonderful land of Indiana. 

Can I claim to be an Indianan, or do I have to claim that I am a Kentuckian?

I am full blooded Indianan.

So I have a serious question.  I claim to be Indianan but in reality I was born in Louisville KY.  I was just born there and as soon as I was old enough to leave the hospital I was whisked across the border under the cover of night to the wonderful land of Indiana. 

Can I claim to be an Indianan, or do I have to claim that I am a Kentuckian?

Same scenario, except North Carolina and Virginia. AND half way through junior high we moved to West Virginia.