So what is your favorite online bike parts store these days?

Road Runner

I used to buy from several different online stores, but I haven't bought anything online for at least a couple years.  And the last stuff I did buy was probably from Amazon.

So if you have a preferred online source for the usual cycling stuff, such as tires, tubes, chains, etc., I would be very interested in your recommendation.  

Thanks.

Just bought gatorskins from Competitive Cyclist (good deal), I've used Jensen USA, Performance (also the store when they were around), and been years but Colorado Cyclist.

I buy a lot from LBS, but sometimes I can't pass up a deal, or availability. I think last year I needed a chain for my CAAD 10. Online was the quickest. My LBS didn't have one and didn't know when.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

Just bought gatorskins from Competitive Cyclist (good deal), I've used Jensen USA, Performance (also the store when they were around), and been years but Colorado Cyclist.

I buy a lot from LBS, but sometimes I can't pass up a deal, or availability. I think last year I needed a chain for my CAAD 10. Online was the quickest. My LBS didn't have one and didn't know when.

All of this plus WesternBikeworks and REI.  

• Heart 2

I don't or haven't had to upgrade brakes, derailleurs, or other mechanical stuff, so I'm an accessories guy: helmet, bike tools, GPS, etc. and most came from Amazon when I got my new bike last year.  A couple things, including the bike, came from the only bike shop on the main highway between Baltimore and Annapolis.

12 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I don't or haven't had to upgrade brakes, derailleurs, or other mechanical stuff, so I'm an accessories guy: 

Same here. I've had the same 105 setup on my bike since 2005 without needing to replace. 

Other than a cable now and then. So I'm a 5 dollar guy. Don't usually need any more than that other than fun accessories.  Night lights, reflectors , mounts. Etc. 

These components have 47,000+ miles and still run smoothly. 

DSCN0152.JPG

2 minutes ago, Mr. Beanz said:

Same here. I've had the same 105 setup on my bike since 2005 without needing to replace. 

Other than a cable now and then. So I'm a 5 dollar guy. Don't usually need any more than that other than fun accessories. 😃

What about chains?  With the miles you ride I’d think you would need to replace those?

• Heart 1

Do any of you order through your LBS?  Both shops that I frequent I often order stuff  through the store.  I find prices are competitive and there is no cost for shipping.  

Yeah I have to pick it up in the shop but that’s fine with me.  I mean who doesn’t like hanging out in a bike shop?!?!

9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

What about chains?  With the miles you ride I’d think you would need to replace those?

I buy ahead but usually get 10 000 out of a chain. NEVER  broken a chain in 25 years.  Of course the shop wants you to buy one every  2k. 

Chains 20 bucks, cassette 30 bucks. Shimano or sram depending on what is on sale. Latest one about 2k and new stuff in the closet ready for service when needed. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Do any of you order through your LBS?  Both shops that I frequent I often order stuff  through the store.  I find prices are competitive and there is no cost for shipping.  

Yeah I have to pick it up in the shop but that’s fine with me.  I mean who doesn’t like hanging out in a bike shop?!?!

Shop 800 rim shipping  20.

Online  60 free shipping 

No brainer

• Heart 2

16 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Only 4 people here buy parts online?  :o

I bought a whole bike online. When the Trek dealer couldn’t get bikes he told me if I could find a bike somewhere else to buy it. That’s when I bought my Lynskey.

I also buy my bike clothes and shoes because my shop doesn’t sell clothing. He has some shoes but none in my size.

When I needed a different cassette I found one at Competitive Cyclist. The LBS guy told me to order it myself because he was still having trouble getting parts.

I try to support my LBS as much as I can but he has a small shop and very limited accessories.  I have bought 13 bikes from him so I did pretty good.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I always consulted with the local LBS, but most of the time he had me order over the web. Sounds like he may be going out of business. Not sure what will happen next.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

There's only one LBS left near me and it's prices are pretty competitive but there are not enough accessories on display and I can't see comments from buyers as on Amazon.  I was fortunate that the two emplotyees who showed me low-step Treks knew what they were talking about and I'm happy with the bike, but I don't have a lot of confidence in their knowledge of accessories.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I bought a whole bike online. When the Trek dealer couldn’t get bikes he told me if I could find a bike somewhere else to buy it. That’s when I bought my Lynskey.

I also buy my bike clothes and shoes because my shop doesn’t sell clothing. He has some shoes but none in my size.

When I needed a different cassette I found one at Competitive Cyclist. The LBS guy told me to order it myself because he was still having trouble getting parts.

I try to support my LBS as much as I can but he has a small shop and very limited accessories.  I have bought 13 bikes from him so I did pretty good.

I have purchased two bikes this way (kinda..).  I ordered them through the shop using their fit process but I cherry picked the frame & every part.  I also got to omit parts I already had & intended to put on the new bike like wheels, seat post & saddle.  

• Heart 1

I feel like I use an LBS for two things - service and bike purchases.  I'll pick up lube or a tube if I happen to need one while there, but for the most part, I've already got the tools and other "bits" I need, and the LBS is not where I am going for clothing.  I used to get stuff at Performance when it was open nearby - shorts and gloves were common items to get and often would buy Clif Bloks or gels when they had a sale, but I also didn't buy bikes or regularly get service from them.  I imagine it is a risk not supporting an LBS with those smaller (but higher margin?) purchases, and really only spending money on services and bikes, but those are the two things that seem to meet my shopping needs.

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I feel like I use an LBS for two things - service and bike purchases.  I'll pick up lube or a tube if I happen to need one while there, but for the most part, I've already got the tools and other "bits" I need, and the LBS is not where I am going for clothing.  I used to get stuff at Performance when it was open nearby - shorts and gloves were common items to get and often would buy Clif Bloks or gels when they had a sale, but I also didn't buy bikes or regularly get service from them.  I imagine it is a risk not supporting an LBS with those smaller (but higher margin?) purchases, and really only spending money on services and bikes, but those are the two things that seem to meet my shopping needs.

I purchased two items online recently, shoes & a new Garmin. I bought them mainly because my shops don’t carry mens shoes and I knew the return process was easier through BikesDirect.  They also had a sale on Garmin’s.

But for the most part i go to my friends shop, say hey I need (fill in the blank) and if she doesn’t have it, which she usually doesn’t, orders it for me.  As my wife is a member of her “team” she extends team pricing for me which is a 10% discount.  I then get free shipping but do have to pick it up but her shop is close to me.  

The other shop I frequent is more about bikes and service than accessories.

Amazon and Nashbar are my go-tos. When I pieced the bike back together after the crash I built it mostly from the Ebay and @Razors Edge spare parts (thanks again).

I use the LBS for the service and the components for the service. New chain, bottom bracket, and cassette were all within 10-12% of online. I'd rather spend the extra at the LBS, give them the margins so they stick around.

Clothes and Acc. I buy from Amazon almost exclusively. Two years ago I spent a few hundred dollars on knockoff kits from Amazon vendors and ended up very very happy compared to buying only a single kit for the same cost from a name brand. Haven't needed much else lately.

• Heart 1