YouTube to the rescue

Tizeye

What DIY topic don't they cover!

Had problem with this old 135mm Canon FD (obsolete mount) lens. Aperture wouldn't stop down, unknown until film developed and overexposed to the point of no image. Had read was a problem with this lens as some component breaks and the part is no longer manufactured. Basically, the lens is toast. So when I stumbled across this video with the exact same lens, and nothing to lose...why not!

Success! All it took was cleaning oil off the aperture blades with rubbing alcohol (and obviously good cleaning of other components such as the lens,) re-assembly, and it works! With film back open can view aperture stopping down when tripping shutter, or holding shutter open "B" and rolling the aperture through its range. Better yet, didn't see any part that could break and every component matched the video - so nothing missing.

Didn't think to take a photo during takedown so just removed front elements for the photo. Plus, now have B&W film in it so couldn't open up the back for a partially stopped down through the lens shot. The video illustrates the back components disassembly after removing the bayonet mount.

IMG_0593.jpg

• Awesome 2

38 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I think it’s time for you to buy a new BIKE.

Actually, thinking about something like this with the optional basket. Would be able to haul video/photo gear to remote areas combining biking with landscape/travel/wildlife photography. Video gear is particularly heavy for hiking. Plus, only $1000 for a ebike that works in all three modes - pedal, combined, and electric only. Downside...it is 68 lbs, but the just came out with a less expensive $799, weaker motor/battery "Lite" model at 44 lbs.

XP™ 2.0 Black – Lectric eBikes

• Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Damn, I wish my desk area looked even 10% as clean/clear as that!!!

But yeah, YouTube kicks butt.  I have one or two "how to's" up there, but mainly I am the one using it for help.

You have no idea what I cleared off to the side for the photo, plus Photoshop to restore the worn out finish that the white paper didn't strategically cover. :whistle:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tizeye said:

Actually, thinking about something like this with the optional basket. Would be able to haul video/photo gear to remote areas combining biking with landscape/travel/wildlife photography. Video gear is particularly heavy for hiking. Plus, only $1000 for a ebike that works in all three modes - pedal, combined, and electric only. Downside...it is 68 lbs, but the just came out with a less expensive $799, weaker motor/battery "Lite" model at 44 lbs.

XP™ 2.0 Black – Lectric eBikes

I've been seeing similar bikes to that at Costco lately.  My brother - a non cyclist - got bikes for himself and his wife from Radpower. One is more "normal" and the other is a stretched "kid hauler" type.  They seem like solid beach bikes. Heavy but on flat areas, tons of get up and go.

WagonOrange_side1to1_900x.png?v=16510921

but they also make a folding bike:

ExpandBlack_side_600x.png?v=1652134527

YouTube is amazing.  When I got back into riding a bike in 2011, it was the first time since I was young when I rode a simple 3-speed.

Worried about something on the bike going wrong while I was a few miles into the woods on a paved trail, I bought an easy-to-use bike rack and practiced adjusting derailleurs, removing tires, etc.

I had my laptop right next to me, going by the videos and learning tricks like loosening a rubbing disc brake, slipping a matchbook-thin piece of cardboard between the disc brake rotor and caliper, clamping your brake on with rubber bands at the handlebar or getting someone to hold it on, then retightening the assembly.  I had a cheap mountain bike that I had to do that to about once a month and I've done it for people on a bike trail parking lot.  Works like a charm!

Right now, I looking at rebuilding a small, wooden porch/steps that come off my enclosed back porch and maybe using wrought-iron style railings on it instead of wooden and definitely wrought-iron to replace some banged-up sections on my front porch that State Farm said were not part of what it would pay for after the fire.

There's an interesting all-wooden rails small porch video here and I just ordered a 12" miter saw, so I could do it - in my case, I'd adjust it so the rails are coming straight away from the house and not at 90°.