Question: my fairly new mower from a big box says no oil change needed, ever. How can that be?

Ralphie
Go to solution Solved by Wilbur,

24 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

2 Things:

1 - Today's motor oil doesn't break down with age under use as legacy motor oil blends did

2 - We put essentially that same oil in our vehicles and drive 3,000 or 7,000 miles, sometimes under heavy loads.  Any residential mover would need to be used for decades to get that same level of use.

I check my mower oil level several times a year and change it about every 5 years.  I have a snowblower that hasn't had an oil change in 15 years.  I use it a handful of times a winter (maybe) and when I put it away the oil still looks fresh.

This is what I was going to say.  (the part about mileage)

My Deere riding mower burns so much oil that it's kinda like changing it every 3-4 cuts. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

A couple of my friends in high school had no oil change cars. They would just add a quart or so every time they bought gas. I think their engines were self changing the oil.  There was always a puddle of oil where they parked.

Two words. MG Midget. My schtick was I paid more for oil than for gas and had to fill it more frequently!

• Haha 1