Saddle Shorts Friction Protection

Mr. Beanz

I've used Paceline chamois butter. Sales like $12 or so, didn't mind paying. 

Then a bike shop dude told me about some junk developed by a chef. Said I'd use less and works better. I knew it was bull and I was out 20 bucks. 

Then I heard about the Walmart cream Equate. Almost a double for chamois butter.  A tub for 6 bucks.

Then I saw gold bond friction protection at Wally World for 3 bucks. I'll try it. Worked fine and online comparisons said pretty much like bodyglide cycling product. 20 bucks for a small amount.  I won't be trying it. 

Then a further search said use body glide or gold bond with a little cream and you're set. 

So I tried a small dab of 6 dollar Wally cream with the gold bod 4 bucks and I really liked it.

Then a further search. Mentioned  mennen speed stick working almost as body glide 

I tried the green one $1.50.. used without cream as a comparison. $1.50 mennen worked just as well product only. 

Did a comparison with mennen vs gold bond  including a dab of cream. Worked about the same but I think after a few times,  I just may give the edge to mennen and cream. 

So lately  been using mennen speed stick  $1.50 and Wally World Equate cream  $6 and been really happy on my rides. 

Worth the $7.50 investment. 

True fact, I like the smell of Mennen speed stick and can smell it while I'm riding so I feel confident knowing my balls smell really nice! 😆😄😆

• Haha 2

Luckily I don't need chamois creme normally. I have a tube of the Chamois Butt'r in my bike drawer that I can use if I do notice chafing, but that tube is pretty old by now.

What I do encounter on long rides in hot weather is related to salt crystals forming on my clothing, and when that happens on my butt, it can be an irritant for sure.  After the post-ride shower, I can apply some cheap Desitin baby cream to sooth that irritation.

• Heart 1

I have a sensitive taint & need chamois cream every ride more than 10 miles.  I have used Chamois Butt’r for years & it works for me.  I also used Button Hole which has the same consistency as Chamois Butt’r but my shop friend said it’s no longer being made!?!?  So I recently switched back to chamois Butt’r. 

As for low cost products, back in the day we used Vaseline on our chamois (yes it was an actual leather chamois) before rides.  That cold clammy feeling when you first pulled your shorts/bibs on was kinda odd but it did help.

• Heart 1

56 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have a sensitive taint & need chamois cream every ride more than 10 miles.  I have used Chamois Butt’r for years & it works for me.  I also used Button Hole which has the same consistency as Chamois Butt’r but my shop friend said it’s no longer being made!?!?  So I recently switched back to chamois Butt’r. 

As for low cost products, back in the day we used Vaseline on our chamois (yes it was an actual leather chamois) before rides.  That cold clammy feeling when you first pulled your shorts/bibs on was kinda odd but it did help.

If I remember from the Garth days at LF, it also seemed that real leather chamois was rarely washed?  I think I may be wrong, but remember wondering about the leather, vaseline, and washing, and then seeing Garth or someone else writing about their shorts.  

I wonder where Garth is these days?

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If I remember from the Garth days at LF, it also seemed that real leather chamois was rarely washed?  I think I may be wrong, but remember wondering about the leather, vaseline, and washing, and then seeing Garth or someone else writing about their shorts.  

I wonder where Garth is these days?

Correct we applied Vaseline every ride but washed them infrequently. 

Yeah not sure, I liked Garth.

• Heart 1