Inching closer to a cellphone

shootingstar

Just got galaxy twenty something a few months ago.  Can't keep up as they keep updating so quickly. 

Previously had galaxy 3(?). Again not sure. 

But we had them for 10 years.  I'm very careful and carry mine in an envelope type pouch, doubles as a wallet. 

10 years was a good run. Internet worked really well the entire time but the phone call connection was getting petty bad so we were forced to upgrade. 

9 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Whatever you buy...  My cell phone and WoBG's cell phone both have Otterbox Defender phone cases.   That will help make the survive for more than 4 years.

We had otter box cases for our phones..really good stuff but $70+ each, gets pretty steep steep in price..

With the new cephones,  found similar on ebay for $15. Plastic frame protector with the plexiglass screen protector. Good stuff and a fraction of the cost. 

Good thing we had the latest model because even the cell phone stores didn't have what we needed so it forced me to look on ebay. 

Screenshot_20220525-202746_Chrome.jpg

20 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Yes, gettin' there. I'm hoping whatever I buy lasts me for at least 4 yrs.

Smart phones are one of those things where you think eh, I don’t need it and before you know it you can’t live without it.  It’s a computer, phone, camera, photo album, GPS and so much more in the palm of your hand. 

I don’t think you will regret getting one.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

24 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Whatever you buy...  My cell phone and WoBG's cell phone both have Otterbox Defender phone cases.   That will help make the survive for more than 4 years.

I've been looking at them. I need a case with a cover on top too. I just know what I stuff into my pannier/purse and other things floating around inside too.

• Heart 1

I've been a heavy home computer user (but clearly not into gaming) since I don't have a TV (but I have another large screen monitor which belonged to dearie but just haven't hooked it up).

I know one thing for sure:  I won't be micro-blogging on any cellphone. Too hard & frustrating since I would be slow on tiny device.

I gave my longevity wish.  It ticked me off abit that my previous desktop computer lasted me only 7 yrs. and was bought new. Yes, of course, I used it daily for several hrs. /day. I was hoping for 10 yr. lifespan. 

7 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I've been looking at them. I need a case with a cover on top too. I just know what I stuff into my pannier/purse and other things floating around inside too.

This is the type of case I use for my phone.  It has a hole in the back for the camera, a plastic frame around the phone and when closed, the strap magnetically holds it shut.  There are a few slots inside for your drivers license, a couple of credit cards and cash.  It serves as good protection and can be a minimalist wallet when necessary.  It's dropproof so far after a few accidental tests.

TUCCH Flip Leather Wallet Case, Magnetic Closure for iPhone SE/5S/5

8 hours ago, shootingstar said:

An iPhone will be supported with regular security and bug updates for at least 4 years.  It's a no-brainer as a device that does as much or as little as you want, with almost no learning curve, and countless users.  Samsung is a close second in support and longevity.

I would NOT let price be the determinant if you plan to use for 4 years.  IOW, you're spreading the cost over the lifetime of that device, so being penny wise, pound foolish will bite you in the end.  On the other hand, the iPhone SE remains an inexpensive entry to the Apple system, and it will be just as usable and supported in 4 yrs as the top end iPhone Pro.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I make my own cases. :) 

7D5F664F-D7A5-4279-A681-49F5EFCCE833.jpeg

You could be a crafts manufacturing plant with the forum here..as a client base.  How does phone stay in there?  

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

This is the type of case I use for my phone.  It has a hole in the back for the camera, a plastic frame around the phone and when closed, the strap magnetically holds it shut.  There are a few slots inside for your drivers license, a couple of credit cards and cash.  It serves as good protection and can be a minimalist wallet when necessary.  It's dropproof so far after a few accidental tests.

TUCCH Flip Leather Wallet Case, Magnetic Closure for iPhone SE/5S/5

I was looking at that line.  

28 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

An iPhone will be supported with regular security and bug updates for at least 4 years.  It's a no-brainer as a device that does as much or as little as you want, with almost no learning curve, and countless users.  Samsung is a close second in support and longevity.

I would NOT let price be the determinant if you plan to use for 4 years.  IOW, you're spreading the cost over the lifetime of that device, so being penny wise, pound foolish will bite you in the end.  On the other hand, the iPhone SE remains an inexpensive entry to the Apple system, and it will be just as usable and supported in 4 yrs as the top end iPhone Pro.

thx for all this!

9 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

We have them on all our devices and they are on every device in all of my schools. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’ve had my iPhone 8 for 4 1/2 years, still working perfectly.

I had a 7 for a long time.  Don't know if it was 4 1/2 years but it was a great phone until I dropped it into the toilet.

I have an XR now that I have had since then (3 years?) and it has prob been the best phone that I have had.  I replaced the screen once because my daughter tried to close it in the tailgate  of my truck... but it's still ticking right along. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

I wonder more about cell plans and cell providers (ATT vs Verizon vs Tmobile vs any of the budget ones).  It seems getting the right plan (cost for the usage you need) and being on a strong network is what I'd spend more time thinking about.  We've been on ATT forever, but I'd jump to Verizon if I was more in the country where I think they have better coverage.  5G may be a game changer for some, but even 4G LTE can be good enough for "cord cutting" of home telephones, internet, and cable TV.  I'd definitely spend some time looking at the Canadian telecom options, and picking the plan and provider that most makes sense.

3 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I got a 5" Samsung Galaxy S7 through Tracfone in 2018.  It was $429 then and something like $135 the last I looked.

The main reason I upgraded to a smartphone was that the photos and videos I saw others getting with their phones was good enough quality for me and I didn't want to lug around a camera/camcorder anymore.

Today, I use it to take pictures when someone shows me something they have that I want to buy, check the weather, read a book, play a game, play Fox's Win Terry Bradshaw's Money during football season, and more.

Friends and relatives also frequently communicate with me by text messages.

As far as the phone goes, I've looked at the side-by-side picture and video quality comparisons on YouTube and don't see anything significantly better, so I'll probably keep using the S7 until it stops working.

Who is your carrier...or since you don't have a phone, your choice of carriers for the selected plan and what phone are they giving away for free? That is how I got my iPhone 12. Technically, not "free" as has the same $25/mo (or so) fee as if financed over 24 months in addition to the cellular plan, but they credit back that amount each month so it nets zero, and only have the charge for the cellular plan. In a couple of years, can potentially repeat with a iPhone 15...or just keep the 12 and even get paid to transfer to a competing carrier.

Note: The free phone deals typically involve a trade in of an existing phone - which you have none. I was similar as my 6s credit didn't cover 100% of the $800 cost of a new phone. The minimum to cover 100% was an iPhone 8 which I picked up a refurbished on ebay for $99 and immediately traded it in. Didn't even run through the Welcome screen and set up. Pay $100 for $800 is a good return!

• Awesome 1

Some here have made great points on shopping cellular service too.  Not sure about North of the border but in the states service quality of the different carriers varies.  In SoCal Verizon is tops but in other regions ATT works better.

Maybe ask around and see what cellular service works best in your area.

3 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

And it is awesome!  :)

Somehow I can imagine Philander having this workhorse cellphone. What does this thing look like?? I don't plan to beat him. B)

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Some here have made great points on shopping cellular service too.  Not sure about North of the border but in the states service quality of the different carriers varies.  In SoCal Verizon is tops but in other regions ATT works better.

Maybe ask around and see what cellular service works best in your area.

There are certain national firms that dominate certain provinces in their market share and cell coverage.

• Heart 1

37 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Somehow I can imagine Philander having this workhorse cellphone. What does this thing look like??

He sent me a pic a few weeks ago when he was bantering on about how well it still worked.

image.thumb.png.54534104a665866c527138887d5772fe.png

• Haha 1

I had my old iphone 5 until the time it stopped being approved for access to my work email systems because they were stopping support, and then I got an iphone 10 which I've had at least pre-pandemic.  I started out using my phone very little, but now I have it around a lot.  I like it for taking pictures that I can immediately text to friends.  Texting to my family is probably the main use of the phone.  I also like the shutterfly app that lets me upload pics directly from the phone.  

I mainly use the internet for quick fact look ups, or to scroll through my twitter feed if I"m waiting somewhere.

I have my work email on it, which can be intrusive, but it also saves me time, so it's a trade off.

• Awesome 1

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I wonder more about cell plans and cell providers (ATT vs Verizon

Back in 2016, I had to buy a cell phone for work.  I had to 'use my own device' for business use.  :angry:   I got an AT&T phone.   My old company phone, that had to be given back to the company, was an AT&T phone, and it had just enough signal strength to work inside my old home.   The new phone I purchased didn't work at all inside my home.   I was glad I had 3 days to cancel the phone and service.   I canceled AT&T the next day.    I got a Verizon phone and that worked just fine. 

Three years ago, WoBG switched to Verizon when she upgraded from an old AT&T flip phone to an Apple XR.    

Of course... the Verizon service inside our new home is not great.   We us wi-fi calling at home.  When the power goes off, we are back to using the cell tower.  At least it works, but not the best.  

12 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

:(  Today after work, I saw iphone SE for real. It's abit small. Now if I was in my 20-30's and was not needing to wear reading glasses, that would be ok. But my eyesight though still very good for someone in early 60's, it's not as laser sharp.  Glasses fall in approx. 1.25-1.50 power range and different vision in each eye.

I'm looking at iphone 13 even though it feels over the top for my puny needs.  I want at least 128+ gig memory. I don't want to deal with memory issues in 3 yrs.

However since I turned 50, my eyesight requires light reading glasses.  I can still read without, if font is a little big/darker colour font but not the same as it was 25 yrs. ago. I learned the hard way 2 years, I can't read restaurant menus in places that are romantically lit low lights.

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

:(  Today after work, I saw iphone SE for real. It's abit small. Now if I was in my 20-30's and was not needing to wear reading glasses, that would be ok. But my eyesight though still very good for someone in early 60's, it's not as laser sharp.  Glasses fall in approx. 1.25-1.50 power range and different vision in each eye.

I'm looking at iphone 13 even though it feels over the top for my puny needs.  I want at least 128+ gig memory. I don't want to deal with memory issues in 3 yrs.

However since I turned 50, my eyesight requires light reading glasses.  I can still read without, if font is a little big/darker colour font but not the same as it was 25 yrs. ago. I learned the hard way 2 years, I can't read restaurant menus in places that are romantically lit low lights.

You can change the settings to increase font size on your phone.  Apple has already thought of us geezers! 😁

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I recommend a used 6s or 7s (get the plus if you want bigger) or even newer if you must! Dirt cheap and my 6s plus is a great size. At first I thought it was way too big but now I think it is perfect, since it is great for reading and watching videos and surfing. I would have considered se if I didn’t have this hand me down from my daughter, but I agree, they are quite small.  

Mine was in pristine condition when I got it and it still is except for the battery. But a year or so ago before the crazy inflation it was only $40 at apple for a replacement battery installed. Not bad atoll!

There is talk of potentially dropping updates, but I think 6s was still expected to be safe the last I looked. It is 64 bit so that helps. It might’ve been the plain 6 that is getting dropped. 

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

my 6s plus is a great size

I have a 6S plus that I got free a few years ago from a sister in law who suffers from terminal upgraditis. Still getting updates. Got one just last week.

The battery might be degrading a bit, bit I have an external power pack that I can carry on the bike or wherever, so I'm good for now.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

I have a 6S plus that I got free a few years ago from a sister in law who suffers from terminal upgraditis. Still getting updates. Got one just last week.

The battery might be degrading a bit, bit I have an external power pack that I can carry on the bike or wherever, so I'm good for now.

On a 6s, the battery is EASILY replaceable. If that's your main issue, probably worth the swap for a new one.

9 hours ago, ChrisL said:

You can change the settings to increase font size on your phone.  Apple has already thought of us geezers! 😁

Exactly what I was going to write.  And not just Apple, I'm betting Androids can do it as well.

I had the 6s plus as my phone for years, and went back to a smaller phone since bigger was really not something I ended up needing.  FTR, I still have 6s up and running and use it for "casting" GCN+ to my Apple TV. GCN+ doesn't have an app for Apple TV or other TV streaming boxes, and is simple web & phone app based, but with it running on my old iPhone, I can easily hit the share to Apple TV button and watch it on my TV.  I'd prefer the simple app on Apple TV option, but it works really well using the old iPhone on wifi only.   

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

On a 6s, the battery is EASILY replaceable. If that's your main issue, probably worth the swap for a new one.

It's still not bad. It seems to run down faster when the cellular signal is low to non existent, but my old flip phone did that too.

• Awesome 1