I am loving Picture This, an app that identifies plants. Guess what tree surprised me because it gro

Ralphie

Super cool.  The wiki has some interesting bits on it:

In the United States

Dawn redwoods thrive over a large, crescent-shaped region that encompasses the eastern and southern United States, as well as on the West Coast. Many institutions, such as the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University, have fine specimens. The H. H. Hunnewell estate in Wellesley, Massachusetts, has two specimens (numbers 29 and 34) that date back to the initial distribution of seed by the Arnold Arboretum in 1949.[33] There is a small grove of dawn redwoods at Bailey Arboretum in Locust Valley, New York, including one tree which is claimed to be the world's largest by diameter.[34] The New York City Department of Parks and Recreation has begun planting dawn redwoods on sidewalks throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn. Washington, D.C.'s Urban Forestry Division[35] has planted hundreds throughout that city, including all of the street trees in the 1800 block of Redwood Terrace, NW.[36] A dawn redwood grows outside of the Rosicrucian Research Library at Rosicrucian Park in San Jose, California, as a memorial to H. Spencer Lewis.[37] It was planted in 1950 from a seedling from the lot brought from China by Dr. Ralph Chaney,[38] and donated by an unnamed donor to H. Spencer Lewis's widow for this purpose.[37] In North Carolina, a private endeavor is working to create a Metasequioa reserve on 50 acres of uplands in the Sauratown Mountains.[39] Portland, Oregon, is home to some of the oldest dawn redwoods in the US. One specimen planted in the Hoyt Arboretum in 1948[40] was 103' tall at last measurement and in 1952 earned the distinction of being the first dawn redwood to bear cones in the Western Hemisphere in 6–8 million years

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

58 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I use the plant version and the insect version

Ooh, thanks, will definitely try this. Daughter #1 told me about the plant version. She is a big houseplant person. Found out what I thought was a philodendron is really a  radiator plant, a varity of an umbrella plant. Cool!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

$30/year!?!  Nope.

It is worth it for me as I use it often in Scouts.  Last summer, I had a Scout telling me he had a black widow or brown recluse in his tent.  Was able to show him it was a water spider, as we were camped close to a river.  I used my cowboy hat to scoop the spider off his tent and carried it away from the camp site.  

Have used the plant version quite a few times on Eagle Scout projects to help Scouts identify plants as they were removing invasive species and educating the public about invasive species.

• Awesome 2