View from above

Prophet Zacharia
Go to solution Solved by Square Wheels,

57 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Went to dinner last night to celebrate my FIL’s 80th birthday. Nice evening for it. Our view from the restaurant. Winds were from the East.

19F97F4F-15B8-4CF9-924F-5DFD1B50A53B.jpeg

It always amazed me to see people riding bicycles downtown. When we did it on Petite’s Big Adventure it really wasn’t that bad but we only had to ride from Point park to the hot metal bridge.

Nice view, what was the restaurant?

• Heart 1

If you look to right of the fountain, in the grassy area that makes up Point State park, you can see some white bricks in the grass. They delineate the site of the former French Fort Duquesne. Later, the British captured the site in 1757 and named it Fort Pitt. The restaurant we ate at is atop Mount Washington, as George Washington had surveyed the area from that location while he was working as a surveyor in the early 1750’s. The Governor of Virginia had hired him to research the possibility of a canal between the Ohio and Potomac rivers.

This view of the fort would have been from the opposite river bank of my photo.

85253687-F38D-44DA-AEDD-E63884A58D82.jpeg

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

The last time I spent time there was before I moved to Michigan.  I think the last time was 1978.  In the 70's Pittsburgh was not a nice place to be.  They are a great example of urban renewal.

Liberty Avenue was interesting. I don’t know how they cleaned that up without using a wrecking ball.

26 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Liberty Avenue was interesting. I don’t know how they cleaned that up without using a wrecking ball.

I remember driving (and parking!!) for Pirate games in the early 70's at 3 Rivers.  Man that could be scary for a couple of 17 yo country boys.  I had a good friend that had a neighbor that was a salesman for US Steel.  He had pretty much unlimited access to tickets.  We went almost every week.  We got 4 tickets and we sold 2 out front when we got there  - $4.00 a piece for box seats on the first base side.  My friend kept $4 for gas (I think it cost $2) and we used the other $4 for food.  Good times for free 1972...

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Old No. 7 said:

Nice view. Was the food good?

It was ok. Personally I think the place survives more on past reputation (and the view) than any riveting menu items, and that it’s hay day was probably in the 1980’s-1990’s. Described as “opulent”, but I’d say a bit garish. My Father-in-law’s ex-wife picked the place, so we went along with it. I’d have rather gone across the street to Monterey Bay for the fish. 

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

The last time I spent time there was before I moved to Michigan.  I think the last time was 1978.  In the 70's Pittsburgh was not a nice place to be.  They are a great example of urban renewal.

First time I visited was summer of 1990. Steel mills were already gone from the city. If you didn’t know the history you’d have no idea.  Even the Homestead works have since been transformed and the space is now a beautiful river front shopping complex.

I work near a Coke production plant and have gone past the Braddock Steel Mill so there are hints of the past still to be found, but the city itself is 1000 times made over. 

From my unintended other thread on the same topic:

If you look to right of the fountain, in the grassy area that makes up Point State park, you can see some white bricks in the grass. They delineate the site of the former French Fort Duquesne. Later, the British captured the site in 1757 and named it Fort Pitt. The restaurant we ate at is atop Mount Washington, as George Washington had surveyed the area from that location while he was working as a surveyor in the early 1750’s. The Governor of Virginia had hired him to research the possibility of a canal between the Ohio and Potomac rivers.

This view of the fort would have been from the opposite river bank of my photo.

65C4E083-F367-44E3-98A8-6AFF8206C16F.jpeg

• Awesome 1