Accountability thread

jsharr

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Fitness goals to stay active daily/weekly?

In your thread, I mentioned I have a plan, and am pretty good at sticking to it.

Mon / Wed / Friday - Run / Lift

Tue / Thu / one weekend day - ride

For those that need assistance, create a free Training Peaks account.  Use the calendar to create workouts at least one week at a time.  It's awesome because it shows in green if you complete it, red if you skip it...

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Any desire for some accountability?

Track weight weekly?

for us diabetics, maybe weekly posting of blood sugar?

I think folks like those signature trackers @MickinMD has with his weight goals. That's on EVERY post, so hard to hide behind (but do need to use the scale to update the numbers).  Maybe one of those wifi-enabled scales that somehow updates things each time you step on it?

And Garmin, Strava, and Apple (and Fitbit?) all have good goal setting and goal tracking.  I think the Apple Watch is pretty good at doing a lot of things including motivating with regular alarms - STAND!! BREATHE!!! Go get your steps! I'd say an Apple Watch (or a fancier Garmin) can help you a lot track stuff and be motivated (through alerts, etc.). 

6 hours ago, jsharr said:

For sure. I like sharing progress notes with others, and none of my face-to-face friends are working on anything. Let me know when you’re ready to start. 

• Heart 1

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Airehead said:

I am ready to start

I remember a long long lasting weight loss thread on the love forum.  It was sort of fun to participate in. I was sort of stuck in s yo- yo sequence after that but now the yo yo is just stuck with all the string oot. :(  My weight has never been so stuck :angry:

How is everyone doing?  @jsharr? @Square Wheels? @Airehead? @MoseySusan@Philander Seabury?

I think Strava (and Garmin Connect) keep it fairly easy and simple to look at and repost.   SW's Training Peaks suggestion would work if they need that sort of thing too.

My Apple Watch harasses me about rings being closed, too.  That's "move, exercise, and stand" but also have steps and some other stuff.  Very easy to use at a basic level.

I'm doing good.  About 10 - 15 pounds down so far this year.  That might be a little faster than planned as I want these to be sustained lifestyle changes.

I have been running or riding every day but one each week for most of the year.  My tendonitis is doing its best to stop me, but I'm cautiously getting through it.

On 5/26/2022 at 12:56 PM, jsharr said:

Track weight weekly?

for us diabetics, maybe weekly posting of blood sugar?

I missed this when it was originally posted but it’s a good idea. I get on the scale daily and check my glucose daily.  I also check BP regularly but probably monthly as it’s been good.  I log this info as well.  More so to keep me honest as the glucose meter & scale never lie.   

• Heart 1

My health insurance plan offered me a three month weight management course called Wondr. I’m in week two, and I like the focus on waiting for hunger and slowing down while chewing. IF already changed how often I eat and waiting until I’m legit hungry. But I needed to slow down; I didn’t realize how much this affects my satisfaction. Flavor (or lack of flavor), texture, and the size of a single bite…reaching for another bite while I’m still chewing…clearing the plate… All things I hadn’t really paid attention to. I’ve decided that I don’t really like fresh strawberries. Not the ones I’ve been buying at the store, anyway. I tried adding a little cinnamon, ginger…nope. They have to macerate for a day before I enjoy the flavor. I didn’t know this about myself until I started really paying attention to what and how I eat. 

Finished eating, with a few bites remaining of what I’d thought was already a small portion of breakfast. Half cup of fruit, egg beaters, one piece of sourdough toast. But using this “meal timer” tool has been instructive of how mindless I’ve been, just forking it all in, barely chewing. 

It works like this: 

10 minutes of eating while chewing slowly and fully aware of texture and flavor. 
5 minute break. Then evaluate hunger and fullness, and then eat for another 10 minutes. 

But I’m legit not hungry and feeling sophonsified after the first ten minutes of slow and mindful chewing. 

So, I’m about to throw away half the eggs and a couple of bites of toast. Note to self:  prepare an even smaller portion tomorrow. 

Oh, and I’ve lost all the vacation weight gain. I went up three, but I’m down four since Sunday. 

On 8/18/2022 at 12:11 PM, MoseySusan said:

10 minutes of eating while chewing slowly and fully aware of texture and flavor. 
5 minute break. Then evaluate hunger and fullness, and then eat for another 10 minutes. 

It is amazing how well that can work.  Truly chewing your food and pacing a meal so that your body's hunger response isn't way behind "reality".

Similar to when feeling hungry, eating a handful of nuts and then waiting 20 mins to see if you want more. Likely, you wouldn't.

• Heart 1