Errands @shootingstar style

MoseySusan

mr. and I decided to ride our bikes to do a couple of things within fewer than 10 miles from home and connected by bike trail and lanes. We started out at 10:30 AM, and the temperature was in the mid 70s with a light breeze. We rode the arroyo trail because it’s pretty much straight from our house to his parent’s place, which was our first errand; we’re taking care of their outdoor plants while they’re visiting family out-of-state. 

I prefer riding the avenues with bike lanes because it’s easier to cross busy streets at the intersections with traffic lights than to cross at the bike crossings. There are warning lights at the bike crossings triggered by a pressure pad, but it’s six lanes of traffic and they don’t stop to allow bikes to cross. Instead, one driver will stop and try to wave the cyclist across while every other car continues, including the angry one who jets out from behind the courteous driver and speeds through the warning light. But I agreed to take the path with mr., and we were separated at the first crossing when he made it through without traffic, but I had to wait. 

It didn’t take him long to water the outdoor plants at his folks house. By the time I caught up, he was nearly finished. The temperature was now in the low 80s but there was still a breeze. On toward the bird food store. 

This part of the ride, we took bike lanes and crossed at traffic lights. So much less stressful, except for the guy on a fat tire e-bike. He buzzed past us, but then we caught him at the lights. He took off, we caught him at the next light. The stressful part is that he kept veering outside the bike lane, and I was anxious he would tangle with an inattentive driver. I wouldn’t want that for anyone. After the second time we met him at the lights, he dropped us easily. Hardly turned a pedal, and wearing a motorcycle helmet. 

mr. was amazed how easy it was to ride to the bird feed store. Bike lanes and two neighborhood streets. I stocked up on seed cylinders and suet cakes, then we headed home. If this was really @shootingstar style errand running, we’d have picked up fresh ingredients for dinner at the Asian market next to the bird food store or stopped at the coffee shop for a pastry and latte. It will have to suffice that I wore a skort. Maybe I’ll hit the market next time. 

We stayed on bike lanes heading up the long climb back home. 84 degrees and the breeze was at our back, so I began to overheat after five miles and had to dial back on the discussion of Nihilism and iconoclasm in the film Ghost World, which we watched last night. After six miles due east uphill, we turned south onto a neighborhood street and into a side breeze which had been at our back while riding east. It felt good to have some wind on our faces finally. 

12.4 miles at 10 mph average speed. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

53 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

mr. and I decided to ride our bikes to do a couple of things within fewer than 10 miles from home and connected by bike trail and lanes. We started out at 10:30 AM, and the temperature was in the mid 70s with a light breeze. We rode the arroyo trail because it’s pretty much straight from our house to his parent’s place, which was our first errand; we’re taking care of their outdoor plants while they’re visiting family out-of-state. 

I prefer riding the avenues with bike lanes because it’s easier to cross busy streets at the intersections with traffic lights than to cross at the bike crossings. There are warning lights at the bike crossings triggered by a pressure pad, but it’s six lanes of traffic and they don’t stop to allow bikes to cross. Instead, one driver will stop and try to wave the cyclist across while every other car continues, including the angry one who jets out from behind the courteous driver and speeds through the warning light. But I agreed to take the path with mr., and we were separated at the first crossing when he made it through without traffic, but I had to wait. 

It didn’t take him long to water the outdoor plants at his folks house. By the time I caught up, he was nearly finished. The temperature was now in the low 80s but there was still a breeze. On toward the bird food store. 

This part of the ride, we took bike lanes and crossed at traffic lights. So much less stressful, except for the guy on a fat tire e-bike. He buzzed past us, but then we caught him at the lights. He took off, we caught him at the next light. The stressful part is that he kept veering outside the bike lane, and I was anxious he would tangle with an inattentive driver. I wouldn’t want that for anyone. After the second time we met him at the lights, he dropped us easily. Hardly turned a pedal, and wearing a motorcycle helmet. 

mr. was amazed how easy it was to ride to the bird feed store. Bike lanes and two neighborhood streets. I stocked up on seed cylinders and suet cakes, then we headed home. If this was really @shootingstar style errand running, we’d have picked up fresh ingredients for dinner at the Asian market next to the bird food store or stopped at the coffee shop for a pastry and latte. It will have to suffice that I wore a skort. Maybe I’ll hit the market next time. 

We stayed on bike lanes heading up the long climb back home. 84 degrees and the breeze was at our back, so I began to overheat after five miles and had to dial back on the discussion of Nihilism and iconoclasm in the film Ghost World, which we watched last night. After six miles due east uphill, we turned south onto a neighborhood street and into a side breeze which had been at our back while riding east. It felt good to have some wind on our faces finally. 

12.4 miles at 10 mph average speed. 

You did good since there was a long hill on way back plus got some stuff done along the way. Exercise + errands / getting 2nd/3rd things done. That 6-lane vehicle even with bike lane if it's not separated, does require alertness. In my city, we have enough 4-lane, 1-way :( streets even in downtown area without bike lanes.  It's for cars to whip along...really I try to avoid those if there's no bike lane. Car speed is way too fast to feel comfortable.

Today after work, on a fine sunny day I barely biked much. :blink: Was chatting up at a store about phones & mobile plans. Must have been there for 40 min. Then biked over for a cardamon latte and veggie samosa.

Usually I tend to do any shopping in middle of ride route or towards end of ride.  So it can be cycling 13-22 km.  one-way to place to snack/buy something/serious major grocery shopping and then turn around  on homeward bound, sometimes same route or slightly different route, stop at 1-2 places to grocery shop. Grocery/other store shopping means hauling up to average 10 lbs. / wk.  Well 1 litre carton of milk along plus veggies, fruit, 16-24 pkg. of TP :D 

When I get a haircut, I never include a fitness ride. Wouldn't want stylist to deal with me just after exercise. It's not nice for them.  Usually I've taken a shower earlier, so all they have to do is light hairwash, etc.

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Exercise + errands / getting 2nd/3rd things done

Your bicycle life inspires me to go more places on bike, especially if it’s within 10 miles and accessible by bike lanes. My daily commute was easy enough, but since I’m not working I need to get in my riding somehow. 

• Awesome 1