Your vision/strength of your glasses

shootingstar

I didn't start wearing glasses until I was 50 yrs. Before, no need at all.

Really my vision was quite good for long time, given the amount of reading and computer work my full-time jobs has required over the years. And then, I used to sew for 2 decades from teens into early 30's. My father insisted as children/teens, that we make sure our bedroom study/reading light was good.  (Besides he didn't have wages to oufit prescription glasses for more than 2  teens at that time.)

So from what I can deduce reading the prescription, my eyes, where each is slightly different, falls in 1.5 to 1.75 range for my prescription reading / computer glasses.  For fun, I try pharmacy, off rack glasses. That's how I know how my eyesight compares roughly so far.

I’ve been in glasses so nice childhood. My eyes aren’t too bad, a bit of astigmatism. I look over my glasses as much as through them. 
I have a bifocal for my presbyopia. That is my biggest vision issue. 

Since I’ve worn them for most of my life I am extremely picky about my glasses. I hate polycarbonate lenses. Real glass or nothing. 

• Heart 1

2.5 on one and 3.0 on the other. Comes from almost 20 years of staring at tiny pieces of jewelry under a jewelers hood and now I stare at tons of code on a computer screen. Course that's fairly disingenuous to solely blame my jobs, I've worn glasses since I was very young. 

• Heart 3

No idea what the lens strength is. I did not wear glasses until I was 45. The optometrist was an old high school classmate and he told me that I was just about the last of our classmates to come and see him.

I said that was about right, because having a birthday late in the year, I was the youngest.

• Heart 2

I've had glasses since at least high school, although I wore contacts for most of my school/adult life.  I finally gave up when allergies just made it too annoying.   Don't know the prescription, but I really can't see a thing without them.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I've had glasses since at least high school, although I wore contacts for most of my school/adult life.  I finally gave up when allergies just made it too annoying.   Don't know the prescription, but I really can't see a thing without them.

I don't think I can deal with the hassle of contacts...the regime.  It's enough that I try to waterfloss nightly.

55 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Have no idea, but I have worn glasses since the first grade. I to prefer glass lenses.

I thought I would too want glass lenses.

Right now I'm wearing a very light titanium frame polycarbonate ( I guess) glasses. Yes, I splurged combined with employer health benefit slight discount it was totally worth. I made sure I chose a funky, fashion shape and colour frame to make this pair noticeable for the cost I paid. 

They sit well up against my face, but so light that I can't feel any weight. 

I used to get dents on sides of head above ear after a full day of wearing computer glasses

I was pretty much blind in HS but didn’t realize it.  I remember my sophomore year sitting in math with my best bud asking him what the teacher was writing on the board.  He didn’t know either. Little did we know we both needed glasses!

I failed the eye test when I went to get my drivers license so started wearing glasses/contacts from that point on.  I don’t know my RX but I’m pretty freaking blind without correction.  

• Heart 1

I got glasses when I was 8, and have worn them full time since.  My prescription is in the 7's.... I inherited my mom's eyes (which are worse than mine). 

I tried contacts for a few years in my 20s but decided it wasn't worth the hassle of cleaning, or the dry eyes feeling I always had with them (maybe modern materials address this better).

• Heart 1

Much better since cataract surgery.  I was born with eyeballs that were too long (oval) and for most of my life my good eye was a very near sighted  20/400.  That changed after the surgery and the "good" lasted a few weeks before my retinas began to come apart.  Overall I see reasonably well without my glasses today albeit a bit of double vision that makes reading difficult.  I still wear glasses but that is to correct some mild deficiencies and as reading glasses but they do not cure all the problems.  I believe my reading prescription is around 2.5 but I also wear at least another 2.5 in magnifiers to do any work in the secret lab.  Strangely I was the go to guy for electronics micro surgery in my working years, using about 10x in my microscope work station without any glasses.  I had a good Bosche and Lombe stereo microscope with adjustable lenses for each eye in addition to the main lens.

I do need a lot of light to see details well.  I'm getting to the point where I dislike driving at night and am probably getting close to being prohibited from doing so.

• Heart 2

Right now I'm at R -2.25/+2.50 and L -2.50/+2.50 for bifocals. I'm nearsighted. 

When I was 16 I had my eyes checked and the doctor said that I really didn't need glasses. However, I soon started striking out more in baseball. When I joined the US Air Force, they said "Boy you need some glasses!"

I have regular glasses, computer glasses, and even prescription sunglasses. I keep an older pair of glasses in each car plus a pair in my bike bags. 

• Heart 2

My distance vision was poor when I was a kid, but near vision was fine and I didn't need glasses for it.

As I got to my 60's, my distance vision improved significantly - I can read most road signs without glasses while driving and can see a large TV screen fine without glasses - but my near vision got weaker and needs a weak prescription.

I have a problem reading sheet music - especially the small numbers on some sheet music indicating which finger to use on the key - while playing the piano because the bifocals are set for looking down.  When you play you keep your head level and move only your eyes down to look at the keys, when you need to do so, so that your eyes will return right to where you are in the sheet music when you look up.

So I need reading glasses to play piano, about 1.0 strength.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

When I was 16 I had my eyes checked and the doctor said that I really didn't need glasses. However, I soon started striking out more in baseball.

I needed glasses at 10 or so, but didn't know that until I was 12.  Somehow, I "passed" school vision test :dontknow: but had no idea I was not seeing "normal".  I would normally be moved to the front of a class (disruptive behavior :whistle:) so it didn't matter, but out on a baseball field, man, I could SEE a ball the whole time, and not just at the last second. WOW.  A great change.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I needed glasses at 10 or so, but didn't know that until I was 12.  Somehow, I "passed" school vision test :dontknow: but had no idea I was not seeing "normal".  I would normally be moved to the front of a class (disruptive behavior :whistle:) so it didn't matter, but out on a baseball field, man, I could SEE a ball the whole time, and not just at the last second. WOW.  A great change.

I still remember the drive home (with my mom) after getting my first glasses.  Wow, you mean trees aren’t just green blobs!?!!

Last year I bought some “outside glasses” where there is no progressive lens and I added transitions.  It’s a similar feeling in that my distance vision is amazing with them on. My contacts are set up so the script is backed off in one eye which makes reading glasses unnecessary but marginalizes distance vision.  

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

I started wearing glasses in 5th grade. I started wearing progressive bifocals in my early 40s. I have been wearing some variation of frameless glasses since my 20s. I like the lighter weight. It’s amazing how many people don’t realize I wear glasses! None of my prescriptions are terribly strong but life is easier with them. 
I bought a pair of subscription glasses last year after deciding transition lenses weren’t for me. 
I started wearing contacts for riding after crashing and breaking my glasses. I decided it made more sense for me to just use riding glasses with the contacts. It had to be comical to watch a guy in his late 40s trying to stick a finger in his eyes on purpose for the first time. The optical assistant was a saint!

• Heart 1

Just got the friendly text "Time for your eye exam". I like the Optometrist as she is an avid cyclist I have ridden with before...but I have so much else going on. Like my dentist, she owns her practice rather than being part of some big chain and her staff stay forever. 

Stated wearing glasses in the 1990's when worked for Charles Schwab, staring at computers all day took a toll on my eyes. She took the insurance, VSP, provided as an employment benefiit and a few years ago discovered that VSP was offered on an individual basis, so have for both myself and wife since medicare doesn't provide basic vision and glasses. 

Vision at last visit was +3.50 and +3.00

3 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Like me learning to use chopsticks on my first trip to China in 2007. We were both winners!

I worked in a Chinese restaurant as a waiter for a few months. I learned to use them my first day at work. At the end of lunch or dinner shift, the staff would sit together and eat family style. The kitchen staff was all from Taiwan and were family of the owner. He helped them immigrate to the USA. On my first day, an experienced waitress had me practice with chopsticks every moment we could. She said the staff tended to look down on the Americans on staff and being able to use chopsticks helped. 
At the end of the shift we all sat down with a bowl of rice and a big plate of food in the middle of the table. A larger member of the kitchen insisted I sit by him. He could have played linebacker in college and I was told he was a bit of a bully. As we ate, every time I dropped something with the chopsticks, he would silently push a spoon my way. I would silently push it back and keep trying. 
This went on for 2 days at each shift and I got much better. The third day, they made a dish with black Chinese peppers. The bully held one up in my face and said “No eat! Hot!”  What he didn’t know was I grew up eating spicy food. I took the pepper from him and ate it. It was VERY hot, but I made sure not to choke or cough. The only thing that matched the look on his face was the snickers from the rest of the staff when they knew I had his number! He and I got along fine after that. 
I still prefer chopsticks when they are an option. Sometimes wait staff will ask why I am so comfortable with them. 

• Heart 4

1 hour ago, groupw said:

I worked in a Chinese restaurant as a waiter for a few months. I learned to use them my first day at work. At the end of lunch or dinner shift, the staff would sit together and eat family style. The kitchen staff was all from Taiwan and were family of the owner. He helped them immigrate to the USA. On my first day, an experienced waitress had me practice with chopsticks every moment we could. She said the staff tended to look down on the Americans on staff and being able to use chopsticks helped. 
At the end of the shift we all sat down with a bowl of rice and a big plate of food in the middle of the table. A larger member of the kitchen insisted I sit by him. He could have played linebacker in college and I was told he was a bit of a bully. As we ate, every time I dropped something with the chopsticks, he would silently push a spoon my way. I would silently push it back and keep trying. 
This went on for 2 days at each shift and I got much better. The third day, they made a dish with black Chinese peppers. The bully held one up in my face and said “No eat! Hot!”  What he didn’t know was I grew up eating spicy food. I took the pepper from him and ate it. It was VERY hot, but I made sure not to choke or cough. The only thing that matched the look on his face was the snickers from the rest of the staff when they knew I had his number! He and I got along fine after that. 
I still prefer chopsticks when they are an option. Sometimes wait staff will ask why I am so comfortable with them. 

We almost exclusively eat with chopsticks in Asian restaurants and sometimes I use them at home.  It took my wife a decade or so to figure them out but she’s got them down now as do my kids. 

We used to frequent a Japanese restaurant & the owner was like family.  When my kids were young she would take chopsticks out of the wrapper, fold up the wrapper between the sticks & bind the sticks with a rubber band so that all my kids had to do was pinch the sticks together.  They thought that was the coolest thing ever. 

• Heart 3

5 hours ago, groupw said:

I don't need to say much except:  I must have over 12 prs. of chopsticks (wood is best and not as slippery to handle). I must have bought an extra pack. I cook with them daily. If a spoon isn't around, I will fetch a tea bag steeping in mug, out with chopsticks. YOu can whip eggs with them .. several eggs instead of hauling out a whisk, etc.  I haven't used my hand wire whip in the past 5 yrs.

So chopsticks  isn't just for eating...often for cooking.

Sometimes using chopsticks to take a piece of steamed fish...it's easier to take a piece off the bone than messily use a fork.

So cute watching a very young child learn how feed themselves with a pair chopsticks.. messy. I'm not sure what age  we mastered them but in my family, we were given a pair to be trained while sitting in the high chair...

• Heart 1

I don't know my script. I just been wearing them for over 35 years.. I just know I hate my eye doctor.. She gave me my new script last year and said it won't be long before I need bifocals.. Well shit.. I walked out with my glasses and could not use them for up close reading.. That evil woman jinxed me, I been wearing my glasses on the top of my thinking noodle for a year now! 

1 hour ago, KrAzY said:

I don't know my script. I just been wearing them for over 35 years.. I just know I hate my eye doctor.. She gave me my new script last year and said it won't be long before I need bifocals.. Well shit.. I walked out with my glasses and could not use them for up close reading.. That evil woman jinxed me, I been wearing my glasses on the top of my thinking noodle for a year now! 

Don't stay too mad.

On 5/27/2022 at 5:07 PM, shootingstar said:

I don't need to say much except:  I must have over 12 prs. of chopsticks (wood is best and not as slippery to handle). I must have bought an extra pack. I cook with them daily. If a spoon isn't around, I will fetch a tea bag steeping in mug, out with chopsticks. YOu can whip eggs with them .. several eggs instead of hauling out a whisk, etc.  I haven't used my hand wire whip in the past 5 yrs.

So chopsticks  isn't just for eating...often for cooking.

Sometimes using chopsticks to take a piece of steamed fish...it's easier to take a piece off the bone than messily use a fork.

So cute watching a very young child learn how feed themselves with a pair chopsticks.. messy. I'm not sure what age  we mastered them but in my family, we were given a pair to be trained while sitting in the high chair...

I have some Japanese cooking chopsticks that are longer & thicker than eating ones.  You are right in that they do make a great whisk.  

10 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Don't stay too mad.

nope.. I'm staying pissy... I don't like lifting my glasses to read.. it's making driving and texting a lot harder than it used to be

• Heart 1